Best oil for 2000 Intrepid with 220,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning,

I have been lurking here for a lon, long time and have found this to be the best site for overall oil knowledge that I have found. THat being said, I have a question.

My every day car is a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with a 2.7 V6 (the one that no one seems to like) and it has 220,000 miles on it. I've had it since it had 22,000 miles and have used Amsoil 10W30 since about 30K. It's starting to use oil. I realize it's high mileage, but I want to use something that will make it stop using oil. I'd like to get 300K out of it. It has never been rebuilt, only a new timing chain when the water pump failed at 190K.

I'm open to all suggestions. HELP!

Boy, hard to beat what you've done this far! If you don't want to go the AutoRX route, then I'd suggest a High Mileage oil in the 10w40 flavor for the summer. AutoZone was doing the free MaxLife until June 4th, so that would be an inexpensive option. Otherwise, the Pennzoil HM oil is a good choice too or a good HDEO like Delo or Delvac. You can always thin down the HDEO if a 15w40 is too thick. Good luck!

From my readings on the internet the 2.7 is the ideal candidate for a good flush. I would definitely consider the AutoRx.Theres a good chance some of your oil burning maybe from piston rings that are gunked up.
The Amsoil has been performing well for you with that kind of mileage. See how it goes after a good flush.

If you have 220,000 miles on a Chrysler engine, you're the one that should be giving advice!!

Seriously, I had the same car with the same engine a few years ago, and I thought it was pretty good. I'm pretty sure that this engine has hydraulic valves, meaning that if you switch to a heavier weight oil (15W40) or even a synthetic 10W40, you might start getting some excessive valve noise. But a heavier oil will likely minimize your oil consumption.

My wife had a Chrysler minivan years ago that took 10W30 and on time I switched to Mobil 1 10W40. The chatter was terrible, and the van started burning oil at 70,000 miles (not sure if it was related, but the car saw Mobil 1 its entire life).

I'd suggest that you either stay with the Amsoil 10W30 (great stuff) or try a High Mileage conventional 10W40. These high mileage oils tend to be on the higher end of viscosity, and have seal conditioners that will minimize leakage if you have any.

2000 model with 220k miles? sounds like you drive 40k plus miles a year. I would stick with synthetic for the long oil change interval benefit. if your concerned about oil burning with Amsoil 10w30, try moving up a grade either 5w40 or 10w40. The amsoil reps here can guide you on the proper selection.
cheers.gif

You could try running some AutoRx and see if that cleans up the rings. I'd like to see what the rings looked like after using an oil with that much Mg in it.

Define consuming oil. How much of the 10W-30 ATM are you consuming and what has your oci been??

welcome.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rbrogle:
My every day car is a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with a 2.7 V6 (the one that no one seems to like) and it has 220,000 miles on it. I've had it since it had 22,000 miles and have used Amsoil 10W30 since about 30K. It's starting to use oil. I realize it's high mileage, but I want to use something that will make it stop using oil. I'd like to get 300K out of it. It has never been rebuilt, only a new timing chain when the water pump failed at 190K.

I'm curious: Have you ever had to do anything to the transmission? The input and output sensors are notorious for going bad, and I purchased two and put them in the trunk when I bought my 99 Chrysler 300M. Sure enough, two weeks ago at 63,000 miles the output sensor went. I put the car up on the ramps the next day and replaced both of them.

I actually don't consider this a major issue with the Chrysler transmission, and an early fluid change would probably ensure that the sensors last the life of the transmission. If you've gone 220,000 miles and only had to replace the sensors, that's excellent. If you've gone that many miles and not had to do anything, it's phenomenal.

You might be surprised after an AutoRx treatment - less oil consumption and more pep. I have come to the conclusion that even synthetic oils will build ring goo after 200,000 miles. AutoRx cleans this stuff pretty well - it just takes time - think about it - it didn't form instantly, so anything agressive enough to remove it instantly will be harsh on your engine, unlike AutoRx.

Wow, lots of replies, thanks! I had it changed over to Amsoil 10W40 and we'll see how that does. It's down a quart about every 2500 miles and I was changing it every 8K, then went down to 6K because of the consumption. If it improves slightly, I will do an AutoRX service which I've never done before.

When the water pump started to go and we replaced it and the timing chain, I was amazed at how clean the inside of the engine was. It had an Amsoil flush at about 150K as the plenum was gunky.

On the transmission, when I changed the oil over to Amsoil at 30K, we did the tranny at the same time. Since then, it's had fluid and filter (the only FRAM filters I use are for the tranny and air cleaner) change every 50K with the Amsoil tranny fluid. I also had to replace the shift cable (column shift). It's never had an input sensor or an overhaul.

My friend is the Asst. Service Mgr. at A Chrysler dealer in NY state and he told me that Chrysler may want the car for evaluation when I'm done. I hope to get to 300K. It's the second Chrysler product I've owned to go over 200K, the other car being my '95 Neon SOHC 4 door highline. It also doesn't hurt that I'm a big Chrysler fan.

Thanks again for the responses!

when consumption goes up, i thought OCI's could go up a little too, as your adding more new oil. People are going to say that a quart every 2500 is nothing to worry about at all, and there probally right. But i see what you mean, i dont want to have my windows down and have blue smoke pouring into my windows also this oil will stress the cat. I would def. try Auto Rx in this engine cant hurt really.

I would switch to either of the following oils which have cut consumption down to nothing in my wife's Ford Taurus

Cheap Option: Shell Rotella T 5w-40

More Expensive Option: Mobil 1 Truck/SUV 5W-40 or Delvac

Both are high detergent diesel oils that should work perfectly in your vehicle.

PS I started out with the Mobil 1 product but decided that Rotella T with 5k OCI was cheaper for me in the long run.

quote:

On the transmission, when I changed the oil over to Amsoil at 30K, we did the tranny at the same time. Since then, it's had fluid and filter (the only FRAM filters I use are for the tranny and air cleaner) change every 50K with the Amsoil tranny fluid. I also had to replace the shift cable (column shift). It's never had an input sensor or an overhaul.

Changing the fluid at 30K and then every 50K is why you've never had to replace the input and output sensors. I never understood why they would go bad anyway until mine did and I pulled it out. The end was covered with the same sort of metal debris that the pan magnet is supposed to catch. When the builup gets too bad, the sensor can't work. I probably could have just cleaned this mess off and reinstalled the old sensor. I suspect changing the fluid once early in the transmission's life prevents this debris from continuing to build up on the sensor and thus it doesn't fail.

-

quote:

... change every 50K with the Amsoil tranny fluid.

I take it you've had good service with the Amsoil ATF? No shift problems or shudder? If so, I may be willing to accept that Amsoil ATF can work okay in a Chrysler transmission spec'd for ATF+4.

quote:

Originally posted by slalom44:
My wife had a Chrysler minivan years ago that took 10W30 and on time I switched to Mobil 1 10W40.

How did you do that since the new Mobil 1 EP 10w40 (just introduced) is the first time Mobil 1 has been offered in a 10w40 grade for cars. Did you use the Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil?

I was concerned about the fluid and I even spoke directly to the Amsoil rep. about it. He said not to worry and if anything happened that was caused by the fluid, he'd buck up for the repairs. I may be changing it too often, but I'm more worried about the filter than the fluid. I get a low speed jerk occaisionaly coming off a ramp, but I suspec that it has more to do with the age of the unit than the fluid. I even use the Amsoil tranny fluid in all of my old A727B Torqueflites. It's expensive but it seems to do a great job.

quote:

I was concerned about the fluid and I even spoke directly to the Amsoil rep. about it. He said not to worry and if anything happened that was caused by the fluid, he'd buck up for the repairs. I may be changing it too often, but I'm more worried about the filter than the fluid. I get a low speed jerk occaisionaly coming off a ramp, but I suspec that it has more to do with the age of the unit than the fluid. I even use the Amsoil tranny fluid in all of my old A727B Torqueflites. It's expensive but it seems to do a great job.

Your low speed "jerk" is the infamous "bump shift" that happens sometimes during a 3 to 2 downshift. These transmissions are known for that. Supposedly Chrysler has a new software flash that can eliminate it, but I've never taken mine in to have the TCM reflashed because the bump doesn't happen all the time and when it does it doesn't bother me.

I read that awhile back and I've never done anything about it. I'm so used to it now anyway.

Funny thing about this car, it has been eating idler belt pulleys since about 100K, I'll bet I've installed 6 of them. The one that was recent;y installed seems to be the best of the lot. And every belt driven accessory has been replaced on the car, not surprisingly with the mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back