Mercon V Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be draining/refilling and adding an external filter to my 2008 F250 Diesel. The manual specs Mercon V fluid. I currently have 10k on my truck and the fluid looks good. I plan to install an external spin-on Allison design filter and draining/refilling the fluid. I'll also change the internal pan filter. I realize this is somewhat early, but I want to get the external filter on and figure it won't hurt to switch it out.

I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic fluid in the past and know it is specd for Mercon V now. Any suggestions?

Mobil 1 fluid is excellent. I would also look into Amsoil and other makes of full synthetic that will deliver it to your door. I know it will cost significantly more, but it is less expensive than a new transmission and it will last MUCH MUCH longer, which is what I think you are trying to do.

Others will be along with more.
grin2.gif

There are only 4 transmission fluid I would use:

1) Amsoil ATF
2) Mobil 1 ATF
3) Redline D4
4) Motorcraft Mercon V

I have read that the cheaper Mercon V fluids can cause some problems, Ford transmissions are very finicky.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I will be using Valvoline Full syn Mercon V on my next tranny service.

I would give Valvoline a call, I did, and I can't remember exactly but the flash point was not as high as the other trans fluids I mentioned, they could not give me a pour point.

I think this stuff is semi-synthetic.

I just put Schaeffer's All Tran Supreme full synthetic ATF in my 2002 V6 Ford Explorer which calls for Mercon V. The Schaeffer's has so far made for really nice and smooth shifts. Not that it was bad shifting before, but it is noticeably smoother now.

The All Tran Supreme is also a Mercon V licensed ATF (license id # M000807 - see here) if that matters to you.

Rumple

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I will be using Valvoline Full syn Mercon V on my next tranny service.

Valvoline cheapened out their Mercon V ATF. I used it in the past when their formulation was better than Motorcraft. Now, I will keep away from their ATF.

Valvoline Mercon V Formulation of June 2007
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 7.12
Specific Gravity @ 60°F 0.8528
Flash Point, °C 210
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP 12,000
Color Red
Phosphorus, ppm 550

Valvoline Mercon V New formulation January 2009
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 7.4
Specific Gravity @ 60°F 0.860
Flash Point, °C 190
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP 10,000
Color Red
Phosphorus, ppm 650

Contrast Valvoline Mercon V to Motorcraft Mercon V

MOTORCRAFT® MERCON®V AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C): 0.863
Density, lb/gal: 7.19
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F): 196 (385)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 40°C: 33.2
cSt @ 100°C: 7.5
-cP @ -40°C: 10,000
Viscosity Index: 205
Pour Point, °C (°F): <-48

M1 ATF has worked well for me in the past. In the past 15 years I've put aprox 700,000 miles on Ford trannys with no failures.

wait wait time out. you have a 2008 diesel, you have a torqshift trans if you have an automatic. you DO NOT use Mercon V in a torqshift, you use Mercon SP.

I serviced one of these units that specs Mercon SP (Torqshift) on a 2004 at 103k miles and this was the cleanest pan/ magnet I have seen at that mileage on factory fluid. The fluid did not look or smell bad, but was getting to be a bit darker red in color. I changed the TP filter with a Wix design which is supposed to be better as in higher capacity. A complete flush on this unit will take 18-20 quarts. Even the original SP fluid was not bad and the trans was shifting fine. I was impressed to say the least, and this truck is used for heavy towing sometimes and is down in FL all year. The filter in the pan is just a screen, so I did not replace it, as well as the gasket, which is re-useable. We used Amsoil ATF, but I'm thinking the SP fluid is probably just as expensive although I did not price it since we already had plenty of Amsoil. I think he is set for another 100k miles at least.

My point here is do not service this transmission at 10k miles unless you have some sort of problem, which should then be covered by your warranty. You will be wasting good money, from what I am seeing on these units!

I think you are right about the Mercon SP. It is the Torqshift transmission. Ford calls for 30k fluid changed on this truck. I definately want to add the spin-on external filter like the Allison has. There is a kit available for this and it actually uses the Allison spin on filter. I guess I can just install this kit and add whatever it needs.

Is the Mobil 1 ATF OK for Mercon SP?

Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted By: scottjima
I think you are right about the Mercon SP. It is the Torqshift transmission. Ford calls for 30k fluid changed on this truck. I definately want to add the spin-on external filter like the Allison has. There is a kit available for this and it actually uses the Allison spin on filter. I guess I can just install this kit and add whatever it needs.

Is the Mobil 1 ATF OK for Mercon SP?

Thanks for all the help.

Mercon V and Mercon SP are not compatible. Interesting that there are fluids that say they meet both specs.

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF has a disclaimer that their ATF is not recommended for CVT applications, Mercon® SP, Ford Type F

I agree, use factory SP fluid. Also, Amsoil tranny fluid says it meets the SP spec.

If you've been using Mobil fluid, you probably want to get it out of there soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back