San Diego Mexican/Tacos

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Im in San Diego, and was looking for some dinner tonight. I was feeling like Mexican, being in souther California.

Ive never been to San Diego before.. I went to Mission Beach, where there are a good deal of taco stands.

Nothing was as good as Pepe's in Port Hueneme, CA, IMHO.

I went to two places, the quality wasnt as good (though portions were larger), the prices were higher, and they didnt throw a serving of chips in the bag.

So, I need to know... where are the best taco shacks in San Diego, and what are they called?

Thanks!

I think he means potato chips........

I don't know I never bought one there. Are you there for work or vacation?
I rode my road bike around the Mission Beach road that encircles the area a lot. Nice area......

I went about 55mph going down the hill on the Mt Soledad a few miles north of Mission Beach. It is only about a 1000 feet high but the one side is pretty steep. I don't want to ever go that fast again.
I had horrible thoughts of my wheel falling off, or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
chips (crisps), or fries ?

either way, I'll share sprint's sentiments then

He's talking about corn tortilla chips. Every Mexican restaurant in America, from fast food to sit down, will give you corn chips for free or very cheaply. Most of the sit down places will give you a big bowl of chips and salsa to snack on before the meal, free of charge. All of that salt and spiciness makes you buy lots of overpriced margaritas and Coronas!

[censored], I am envious! I grew up in Clairemont (face the beach....now turn around 180 degrees. See that hill with houses on it?).

Any place that sounds like Alberto's, Albierto's, etc., El Cotixan, Molca Salsa, etc. should be a safe bet and super-tasty. They are all over.

Tortilla chips + salsa or REAL guacamole are standard here with mexican food.

Be sure to stop at In-N-Out, either in Mission Valley (near Charger's Stadium) or in Pacific Beach (just north of where you are about 2 miles).

I miss San Diego *sniff*

Dude I could lead you to some, but heck if I know the names! There are a bunch on any of the main drags. You must have found the random bad ones!

chips= fried corn tortilla chips - why a guy in the US wouldn't know that is a bit odd.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hello,

Im in San Diego, and was looking for some dinner tonight. I was feeling like Mexican, being in souther California.

Ive never been to San Diego before.. I went to Mission Beach, where there are a good deal of taco stands.

Nothing was as good as Pepe's in Port Hueneme, CA, IMHO.

I went to two places, the quality wasnt as good (though portions were larger), the prices were higher, and they didnt throw a serving of chips in the bag.

So, I need to know... where are the best taco shacks in San Diego, and what are they called?

Thanks!

I've spent some time in San Diego, and IIRC, Chevy's are always a good bet for Mexican fast food. One I always frequented was in Claremont Mesa. Also, don't forget In-n-Out in the same area.

If you eat at "Del Taco" you get chips/fries with your tacos. I don't recommend them when real mexican is nearby.

the trick to mexican food is go to a place that looks like it is take-out only, if it is dirty and looks like somewhere you don't want to eat at then it probably has the best food. If their only clientele is gringos, go somewhere else. If you are the only person not speaking spanish it is a good sign.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
go to a place that looks like it is take-out only, if it is dirty and looks like somewhere you don't want to eat at then it probably has the best food

I'll have to build up my immunity, Hawkeye!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
If you eat at "Del Taco" you get chips/fries with your tacos. I don't recommend them when real mexican is nearby.

the trick to mexican food is go to a place that looks like it is take-out only, if it is dirty and looks like somewhere you don't want to eat at then it probably has the best food. If their only clientele is gringos, go somewhere else. If you are the only person not speaking spanish it is a good sign.

This is a perfect description of the place I eat lunch at almost daily in NYC. Little hole in the wall with the best food ever.

It's like in Blade Runner: the old Chinese dude with the poor hygiene and the disgusting cart sells the only (eyeball?) soup Deckard will eat.
grin2.gif

The little hole in the wall that I am used to is Pepe's in Port Hueneme...

Maria's taco stand and Roberto's taco stands in mission beach are half decent. Maria is quite nice. Neither had the quality of meat (moisture level, flavor) that Pepe's has, but they did OK.

Agree on the hole in the wall sentiment. When I lived in the burbs of Chicago, the best Mexican places were little hole in the wall joints in strip malls. They were open into the wee hours of the morning and the employees all spoke broken English. They offered "delicacies" such as tripas (tripe) and lengue (tounge) on the menu. When you went inside you would see actual Mexicans eating there. Not like the gringo places with fancy frozen margarita machines and free chips and salsa. The food was awesome.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
When you went inside you would see actual Mexicans eating there.

LOL. You need to plan a trip to Texas. We have actual mexicans that eat everywhere.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
When you went inside you would see actual Mexicans eating there.

LOL. You need to plan a trip to Texas. We have actual mexicans that eat everywhere.

Nah, I was just comparing it to the more popular chains in that area such as Chevy's and Cozymel's. They're expensive and cater to gringo tastes. More hype than substance. The strip mall places were much more authentic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back