CVT reliability - how long do they last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

I keep hearing horror stories about the longevity of CVT trannies. Are any of them known for going 100K+ before needing a rebuild?

A friend is considering purchasing a new '09 Nissan Murano.

The '03 Muranos had some issues with the CVT, the latest CR survey shows a 2/5 in the transmission category. The later models have been fine.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
CVT in my Mother's Mercury Mystique.

has about 103,000 miles, never any tranny problems, shifts great!

what year, they never came with CVTs from the factory, just hte CD4E and the MTX-75. plus a CVT does not shift.

Nobody ever got any life out of the CVT found in the 2002-2004 Saturn VUE 4 cylinder, or in the 2003-2004 ION Quad Coupe.

AT flush or not, gentle driving or not, those things were worthless.

Now other CVT automatics? I don't exactly know. I have seen many Muranos get an early tow from a truck, but that didn't automatically mean the CVT failed. Fuel pumps have often been weak on certain cars.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The only reliable CVTs are the ones found in the Toyota Hybrid vehicles.

Wasn't there some big outcry from taxi driver community that apparently these cars aren't nearly as durable as Crown Vics? Did it have anything to do with the transmission or was it something else?

I'm sure they are not. I've use taxi's quite often and some of those drivers beat the ever loving snot out of those crown vics. I think a big part of the reason they do so well is because they produce a ton of torque and despite the hard driving they infrequently shift above 3,000 rpm.

The 'yota hybrid CVTs are AWESOME. Ford uses them in the escape too. NO belt, no pulleys, no clutches. One planetary gearset biased by both motor/generators. that's it. search on "prius cvt mg1 mg2" and you'll find good info.

Mike

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The Critic
The only reliable CVTs are the ones found in the Toyota Hybrid vehicles.

Wasn't there some big outcry from taxi driver community that apparently these cars aren't nearly as durable as Crown Vics? Did it have anything to do with the transmission or was it something else?

I think most of the "complaint" was about the batteries, which have turned out to be quite reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back