Chrysler 3.5L V6 Oil Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: silverrat
A friend of mine works as a lube guy at a Chrysler dealer outside Toronto and just today he said they don't pay much attention to 10w30 or 5w20 and pump the bulk 5w20 in everything. Even if a Pontiac Sunfire or something comes in.

Very good!!!
I love people who take pride in there work!

Very interesting about dealers. I have had my share of dealers saying one thing then doing something else. Oil is a synthetic blend on the invoice, then, the number states that it is conventional premium oil from a bulk barrel.

Please know that Chrysler has had trouble honoring warranties, and have used many excuses to keep from honoring any warranty work done to their cars. There are many complaints on the internet about the 2.x liter sludge engine made by Chrysler. In one of my other posts, I had the website where you could see about the many complaints. Maybe if you do a search using Chrysler Engine Sludge Complaints you could get to the website.

Also, document everything, keep every paper invoice regarding work on your car, and maybe consider taking the car back to get the correct 10W-30 oil in the engine. Either way, please document, document, document, and make copies of the original documents in case you have to show it to Chrysler representatives, and show them the copies. My opinion.

Keeping written documentation has been a blessing for me, many, many times.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
A friend of mine works as a lube guy at a Chrysler dealer outside Toronto and just today he said they don't pay much attention to 10w30 or 5w20 and pump the bulk 5w20 in everything. Even if a Pontiac Sunfire or something comes in.

Exactly the reason I ALWAYS bring in my own oil (and filter for that matter). Even when I use regular dino! I actually PREFER going to Quick Lubes and smaller shops. You can at least observe from a decent distance that they actually use the oil and filter you provide. Dealers usually don't let you get that close!

I would not let it slide. I have a 300M with that engine. It calls for 10-30. 5-30 is noted in the manual as acceptable if cold weather demands it. I run 5-30 Castrol Syntec and have for years. I was getting lifter start up noise with 10-30 and it went away with the 5-30. The car also feels more powerful with the lighter oil. I think 5-20 is to light / thin.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm waiting for parts to come in (non-related) at the dealership. When they do, and I drop the Journey back off for repair, I'm definately going to have them dump the 5w-20 and put the 10w-30 back in. That is unless they can provide me with documentation from Chrysler (other than some website spec) that proves Chrysler officialy made the change.

If anything else comes up at the time, I'll let y'all know.

Z-

I work at a quick lube, and contrary to popular opinion, go out of my way to make sure the service I give customers is according to specification. Sometimes to the dismay of my superiors.

There ARE some good quick lube techs out there.

Try this: http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/

Near the lower right corner of the page, click on "Need Help?". From there, you can go to "Customer Assistance" and email Chrysler. Ask them about the oil. Then, if the spec has been updated (I doubt it), you'll know. If 10W30 is still recommended, you can print it out for the service advisor.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
I think you will be fine with the 5w20 for this OCI since it's winter time anyway. For future changes I would run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter since it gets cold in Ohio.

ZiTs.
I agree with Gilitar.
The engine being new and tight along with it being winter time in Ohio, I think that 5W20 is just fine. Keep all records including the your OCI receipt from the dealer along with the desk top computer print out that the service writer printed out saying that, "it's OK to use 5W20 from Chrysler engineering".
From there on, each time you take your Journey in for it's free OCI, make sure you specify the oil you want them to use.

Absolutely keep every piece of paperwork relating to the service on your car. Chrysler is in deep financial trouble, and you don't want to give them any reason to skate on warranty coverage, at least until the bankruptcy court cancels all warranties.

Big difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30 oil inside heavily loaded bearings. Unless the engine is proven for an xW-20 oil, don't use it.

The oil cap and owner's manual oil requirement may be out of date, but demand to see a technical bulletin that documents this. (Excluding periodic updates in the quality of the oil...API SM and ILSAC GL-4 superceding SL & GL-3, for example.)

I'd insist that the dealership put in the right oil...10W-30 or 5W-30 in a very cold winter climate.

Next oil change, tell the service writer, and the service manager if you can get him out of his comfy office, that you want a contact for the Chrysler district rep about the oil viscosity they use in your engine. That'll get their attention.

I have this engine in my 2004 Intrepid. It's interesting that Dodge calls out 10W-30 for this 3.5L engine (5W-30 allowed with cold climate), and 5W-30 for the 2.7L engine (10W-30 allowed with hot climate).

Why would a manufacturer make this distinction when each oil has the same operating temp viscosity? In other words, why would they choose 5W-30 for one engine and 10W-30 for another?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Gilitar
I think you will be fine with the 5w20 for this OCI since it's winter time anyway. For future changes I would run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter since it gets cold in Ohio.

ZiTs.
I agree with Gilitar.
The engine being new and tight along with it being winter time in Ohio, I think that 5W20 is just fine. Keep all records including the your OCI receipt from the dealer along with the desk top computer print out that the service writer printed out saying that, "it's OK to use 5W20 from Chrysler engineering".
From there on, each time you take your Journey in for it's free OCI, make sure you specify the oil you want them to use.

Where does the OP say that the service writer printed out anything and gave to him?

I have never seen a dealer deny a warranty claim based on using the wrong viscosity of motor oil. Even if such a thing has happened a dealer would never deny a warranty claim because of his own mistake.

Unless you plan on racing the car or towing a trailer I just don't think there would be any problem. I recall reading other BITOGer's who had used straight 20 weight motor oil in the 1950's and driven well over 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
I'd let this one slide, but I don't think it matters much. One of the BITOG regulars (G-Man perhaps?) has had outstanding results by substituting MC 5W-20 in his 3.5L 300M.

Personally I like this engine, but I find that it consumes 1 qt every 2000 miles. That seems a bit much for me.

I just retired a 1993 3.5L (first-gen engine) at 257,000 miles (engine never opened further than required to replace the timing belt), and when I handed it over to the new owner it *still* didn't use a quart in 1000 miles, and most of what it lost came out a leaky valve cover gasket. In its prime it would use less than a quart per change- I ran 5k mile changes on M1 10w30 its whole life.

The 3.5 is a fantastic engine, in both generation. The 2.7 is an engine built for nothing but economy- both in terms of being cheap to build and cheap to operate. The focus on economy, in my guesstimation, is why it comes with a recommendation for thinner oil than the 3.5. The 3.5 will probably do just fine on 5w20- fact is, every Chrysler engine ever built (with the interesting exception of the 2.7) will pretty much last forever on whatever goo you pour in the filler cap- but I'd stick with 10w30 if I wanted to get another quarter million miles out of a 3.5. I know it works...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have run this by my dad (retired Chrysler employee & Mechanic) and he says to stick to 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back