What does a spun bearing sound like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious. I've heard of this phenomenon, and I know what it means, but let's say it actually happened. How would you know to look for one?

Go find a nice hard wooden door. Then knock on it as hard as you can. That is what it sounds like when it gets bad
wink.gif

Agree with the above, if you ever have the misfortune of hearing that sickening sound coming from your engine, it will be unmistakable.

When you spin a rod bearing it usually sounds like a very loud squeek/screech and a knock in time with the power stroke.

I should add it's usually not as loud when the oil is cold and thick and gets worse as it warms up.

It will get louder with more load.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Agree with the above, if you ever have the misfortune of hearing that sickening sound coming from your engine, it will be unmistakable.

A buddy of mine spun #1 on the 365 (offset-ground 350) in his Camaro. It ate several hundred thou off the crankshaft and sounded like a sledge hitting cement. He didn't know what it was!!! I was screaming at him to shut it off, because it was of course trying to exit #1 rod through the side of the block
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst one I experienced was on a 428 pontiac motor, which was also in a Camaro body. #6 let go at around 6,000 rpm and when I tore it down the two bearing halves were welded together into one gnarled piece, needless to say the crank was at that point a boat anchor.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
The worst one I experienced was on a 428 pontiac motor, which was also in a Camaro body. #6 let go at around 6,000 rpm and when I tore it down the two bearing halves were welded together into one gnarled piece, needless to say the crank was at that point a boat anchor.
frown.gif

Just cut it .1 under lol.

Got it. If I start hearing bad noises like that, stop. I like the video showing the play in the rod bearing. Just a little out of tolerance there.

The only one I have heard, the engine had a bad knock to begin with, after I ran it for a bit the knock went away, the spun bearing/insert stacked took up the slack and the engine ran perfect for about 30 minutes before the piston started slapping the head. I assume this is the same thing ?

It makes the exact same sound as when you open up your wallet, shake out all the money, and then hand it over to a stranger(mechanic).

I guess these guys in the videos shouldn't have abused their engines!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back