Mobil 1 selected as the Factory and Service Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
On two new GM vehicles.

Quote:
February 05, 2009 10:30 AM Eastern Time
Mobil 1 Selected as Factory and Service Fill Motor Oil for Two New Turbocharged Chevrolet Vehicles

FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE1)--ExxonMobil today announced that the company’s flagship brand of synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1, has been selected as the factory fill and service fill endorsed motor oil for the new Chevy Cobalt SS Coupe and Chevy HHR-SS.

Both vehicles are equipped with a turbocharged, direct-injected, dual overhead cam, ECOTEC 260-hp 2.0L I-4 engine with Variable Valve Timing. Capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 miles-per-hour in 5.7 seconds, the engine is the fastest in its class and gets an estimated MPG of 22 city and 30 highway.

Chevrolet selected Mobil 1 5W-30 based on its anti-wear characteristics, extreme temperature performance and outstanding protection of critical turbocharger parts. With its patented SuperSyn™ technology, Mobil 1 is uniquely designed to provide superb levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection.

"The new turbocharger offers an efficient and economical method of pumping air through the engine that allows this motor to provide an outstanding 130 horsepower per liter, or 260 SAE certified horsepower,” said Chris Meagher, chief engineer for Ecotec engines.

“In looking for a high performance oil that would deliver long lasting protection for the advanced turbocharged engine, Mobil 1 was a natural fit because of its proven performance, and the long track record of success we have had using Mobil 1 in our other General Motors vehicles, as well as with our Chevy and Corvette racing teams."

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/...ng=en&vnsId=667

I could justify the reasons G.M. chose the oil as factory fill and recommended it. It is probably one of the better oils on the market.

I am gonna get mobil 1 in wifes Kia Rio maybe I could do a 0-60 in 5.7 ? It doesn't have a turbo charger but it has a leaf blower duct taped to the throttle body. Its sweet !

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
I am gonna get mobil 1 in wifes Kia Rio maybe I could do a 0-60 in 5.7 ? It doesn't have a turbo charger but it has a leaf blower duct taped to the throttle body. Its sweet !
LOL.gif

So when the extremely overstressed 4 cylinder cobalt engine is worn out at 60,000 miles they cant blame the oil.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
So when the extremely overstressed 4 cylinder cobalt engine is worn out at 60,000 miles they cant blame the oil.

Yes they can. It would have gone 65,000 easy with a PAO snythetic in there.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Yes they can. It would have gone 65,000 easy with a PAO snythetic in there.

It would go 520,000 miles According to Castrol if Edge was factory fill!

another feather in Mobil 1's cap. Now a days I'd say most if not all synthetic oils will meet the same requirement in the same catagory.

Castrol "Edge" is the same as M1's "High Mileage".

Durango

Last edited:
Castrol Edge is not like M1 HM in the sense that it seems to be rather aimed instead for the M1 EP crowd and the longish oil change intervals that both are recommended for. I really can't see people paying what they are asking for Edge.

smirk2.gif

Except the Ecotec is good for over 1000HP in racing, using many stock parts.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

smirk2.gif

Except the Ecotec is good for over 1000HP in racing, using many stock parts.

That's good to hear. I want to see GM start to rock and roll.

Typical from you. That engine isn't overstressed anymore than an Acura or Honda engine Hi-Po engine.

It's about time that more manufacturers recommend synthetic for high-revving turbo applications. IMO, syn should be mandatory in most turbo cars. Turbo failures can get expensive really fast.

Hasn't M1 been the factory fill in Corvettes for awhile now?

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Hasn't M1 been the factory fill in Corvettes for awhile now?

I believe you're correct.

Interesting that the news release came from Exxon not GM.

I guess in the deal along with the $$ they do the PR/Marketing too.

For sure that GM would list one of the reasons why they "picked" Mobil 1 is that it had "Supersyn" in it...
crackmeup2.gif

Funny....

Those Ecotec bottom ends are good for 1000 hp! The drag racers have gone a whole season on a stock bottom end.

That is impressive in my book!
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back