Chrysler 3.5L V6 Oil Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another dealership horror story.....

I recently purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey with the 3.5L V6 engine. The owner's manual and oil cap on the engine both say to use 10w-30. No problem so far...

Along with the purchase, the dealership provided me with the ol' 2 years of free oil changes. So, it being relatively nasty outside this time of year, I decided to take them up on my first. When I pick the car up, I notice the paperwork shows they put in 5w-20. "Hmmm...", I think to myself, "I better go talk to them about this." Well, they go and check their little desktop computer that they get all of their information from, and, sure enough, it says 5w-20. "Straigh from Chrysler engineering, this is.", they tell me. "Your oil cap is wrong." "There is so little difference between 5w-20 and 10w-30 that it doesn't matter and won't do anything. But, if you want, we can change it out for you."

Now, two other service department employees try telling the service manager that they are of the understanding that the 3.5L does in fact still spec 10w-30. But the service manager insists on sticking with what the Chrysler website says.

So, my question is "Does anyone here know if Chrysler has in fact changed the spec's for their 3.5L, or is this an error of some type?" The fact that the service manager tried telling me that there is no difference between 10w-30 and 5w-20 makes me never want to set foot back there, but that's not my main concern at this point.

Any thoughts?????

Thier is a difference between 5w 20 and 10w30..huge difference to me..thiers a reason, 5w30 is thinner than 10w30. And being, its a 3.5L, i think 5w 30 is too thin..probably give you some more mileage, but not as much protection as 10w 30. And i doubt they put the wrong oil cap with sepcs on...i have never read or heard of that happening before..sounds like the dealer was jsut saying that, so it dosnt look so obvious they screwed up.

According to the AMS oil site, you are correct, 10w30 is the right oil to use, not 5w20. Also, it also states:
1. Use motor oil that is formulated to meet Chrysler MS-6395.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
According to the AMS oil site, you are correct, 10w30 is the right oil to use, not 5w20. Also, it also states:
1. Use motor oil that is formulated to meet Chrysler MS-6395.

My moms 2002 300M with the 3.5 uses 10W30 oil, and I would hope a Chrysler Dealership would use oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395 specs.

I'd go back and make them change it out. They should go by what the cap and owners manual state. Period.

Give Chrysler customer service a call and let them know about the dealer.

I'd let this one slide, but I don't think it matters much. One of the BITOG regulars (G-Man perhaps?) has had outstanding results by substituting MC 5W-20 in his 3.5L 300M.

Personally I like this engine, but I find that it consumes 1 qt every 2000 miles. That seems a bit much for me.

I wouldn't let it slide since it could possibly void the new vehicle warranty for using the wrong spec'd oil in the car. After the warranty expires, then fine. Not before though.

You could certainly let it slide for one OC, and since the dealer installed the oil you have proof in the event of a warranty issue. After saying that I know the OCD in me would have the dealer do another OC and use the proper oil that was spec'd. He wouldn't be happy doing it but I assure you he would do it if it were my car.

I took my Caprice to a mechanic for a transmission service and he started to add Type-F fluid when re-filling it. He got about 2 qts into the unit when I stopped him. He then said it would mix perfectly with the GM spec'd fluid and that Type-F fluid was better and more refined. After I stopped laughing I made him drop the pan again and fill the unit with the proper fluid.

It's really sad that you almost have to take a day off from work when you're having a car repaired to make sure its done right. Another reason why I do 95% of my own repairs, and found a good mechanic for the other 5%.

I actually changed the oil myself at 1,000 miles when the weather was nice and there wasn't any salt/snow/ice dripping on my head. But when I took it to the dealer, it was up to 5,000 miles. According to the owner's manual, these things are now good for 6,000 mile OCI's. However, that's going to be really hard for me to do. I've never gone that long before between oil changes. Yes, I no that's nothing special anymore, but please, let's not go there.
56.gif
This is one reason that I'm especially concerned about having the correct viscosity in there.

Regarding the warranty issue, that was another big reason for my concern. The service manager "assured" me that with their computer showing 5w-20, there would be no warranty issues. Yeah. Right.

Z-

I think you will be fine with the 5w20 for this OCI since it's winter time anyway. For future changes I would run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter since it gets cold in Ohio.

I would run exactly what the owners manual and filler cap specify until it is out of the manufacturers warranty.

"There is so little difference between 5w-20 and 10w-30 that it doesn't matter and won't do anything"

There can be a huge difference since 10w-30 can meet GF-4/SM spec using Group I baseoil...5w-20 must use Group II or better to meet the spec. You are better off with the 5w-20 oil.

My 2008 Chrysler 300, with the 3.5L V6 specs 10w30 also. Also says it on the cap! And it's built for Canada!

If you're gonna keep the car, I suggest you do what I'm currently doing. I use 10w30 synthetic, and go the 10000km (6000 mile) OCI with no hesitation! Just buy whatever name brand synthetic is on sale, and also a decent oil filter (Bosch, PureOne, Mobil 1, Fram Tough Guard (NOT a regular Fram), etc.) There are always many deals out there and the Dealer has no problem using your oil and filter.

These are good motors, and the 10w30 synthetic works great in the frigid cold winters with no issues at all, as experienced this cold winter!

Deals to consider. PureOne Filters for the 3.5L are regular price under $6 at Advance Auto. Q synthetic 5 Quart is on markdown at Wal-Mart for $18. Mobil 1 has $10 mail-in-rebate on 5 quarts starting April 1, 2009, two per household (will get you 5Quart Jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $16!) Autozone and Advance Auto have monthly synthetic deals, and Walmart's 5 quart jug regular prices are always competetive.

Just my 2.44000 CAD cents!

I've run 5W30 and 10W30 in our 3.5's, and both seem to work fine, but I'd be skeptical of the 5W20. As far as I know, Chrysler still calls for 10W30 in the 3.5, but I'd contact Chrysler about what the service advisor said, just out of curiosity.

There's probably not a big problem, but the engine may run a bit on the hot side and thus the 10W-30 recommendation.

In any case, I be a little [censored] about it...

A friend of mine works as a lube guy at a Chrysler dealer outside Toronto and just today he said they don't pay much attention to 10w30 or 5w20 and pump the bulk 5w20 in everything. Even if a Pontiac Sunfire or something comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back