Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Mobil 1 oil filters, because I did a tiny bit of research and found that they are superior. However, if anyone has any other information or experiential, anecdotal evidence, I would love to hear please. What is your favorite filter, and why? Thanks.

I dunno, they don't really filter any better than any of the other filters including Fram... They seem to be made OK, but nothing that makes me go wow. Worth the 10 bucks? No. The only thing they seem to offer is a longer OCI

Very good filter when compared to many...but WIX or NAPA gold are a good alternative for less $$$. All depends on where your pain point is. I used to use the M-1 filter but decided that with my OCI I can't justify the price; especially with the economy today. I am tightening my belt in many ways and oil & filters is one of them.

From what i have read here they are excellent. There is and excellent thread in the filter forum where someone did an in depth anylsis of M1 filter verses and Amsoil filter.

I would call the M1 filter a 10 micron verses the Amsoil being a 15 micron filter. The interesting thing is that there was no difference in the UOA for the same oil and motor used between the M1 and Amsoil filters.

A standard oil filter such as fram or oem is typically around 30 to 40 microns. I am not sure if there is any significant advantage to improved filtration beyond and oem filter.

It has been said that it is a $5.00 filter in a $10.00 can.

I don't believe that it is significantly superior to Purolator Pure One or its clone Bosch.

Very good filter but many others will serve you well for half the price or even more in savings. I use mobil 1 filters on my cummins but mainly because any filter I buy for it is 9 bucks or more. I run stp, bosch, supertech or even fram. Whichever is cheapest and most easily had on the camry and crv.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
I dunno, they don't really filter any better than any of the other filters including Fram... They seem to be made OK, but nothing that makes me go wow. Worth the 10 bucks? No. The only thing they seem to offer is a longer OCI

They do according to everything I've read.

I`d read on a forum somewhere that they`re restrictive and don`t allow easy flow-through. Is this true or false?

The M1 filter seems like a good choice. For the extra $4 per oil change I think it's worth it for the mind even if it really isn't any better than a Fram.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d read on a forum somewhere that they`re restrictive and don`t allow easy flow-through. Is this true or false?

Well since Mobil-1 has oil they claim can go up to 15k, I'd say they are not too restrictive as other choices. The Purolator PURE-1 seems to be the main culprit for that. You need a filter that is "in the middle" IMHO...WIX is always a safe bet..

I have some questions about the anti-drainback valve on the Mobile filter, at least for my specific application. My 2007 Jeep Wrangler had engine "clatter" at start-up, and it was extremely common with Mobile filters amongst others as well. There are innumerable threads about it in Jeep forums. To be fair, other brands have had the issue as well. Going back to the Mopar filter solved the issue immediately. My suspicion was concerned when I made the filter switch, barely a drop came out during removal (it's horizontally mounted).

I would like them at half the price.

Bosch seems to be the best deal (in this class) and get, what I believe is, similar filtration.

I am suspicious about the x2 holding capacity if solely based on media type. It is possible the add more media up to a point,ie. PureONE. Look teardowns on the M1 and true synthetic media (usually white fuzzy) filters like EaO, Fleetguard Stratpore, Royal Purple, or Baldwins with Syntec media. Then consider what a used filter looks like. The glass media would likely provide the 'depth' for holding more. M1 is claimed synth blend but the % is not likely large as glass is brittle and has a problem with bend radius requiring a mesh screen backing.

Last edited:
If you have enough junk in your engine that you would actually fill up ANY of these filters, it ain't the filter you should be worrying about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back