Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right.
The SAE grade on the bottle serves to confuse more than anything else. For example why is the first number smaller than the second on so-called multi-grade oils? All oils get thinner with increased temperature, so logic dictates the second number should be smaller.
A 5W-30 IMO in kinematic speak should read something like 500W-10 then everyone would get better picture of what actually happens with motor oil and temperature.

Thanks caterham,the last thing I want to portray is that I`m an idiot.But,some of this stuff you guy`s talk about on here I am just learning.

Other than the advertising, I have used it and think its great.

I remember seeing reports of it producing low wear numbers, BUT Ive heard numerous times, that it isnt the best for largely extended drain intervals. I wouldnt run it past 6K without a UOA.

The other issue I see, is like others have said, it is expensive. Although, here in canada, its staying more consistent in price, where as M1 is still climbing.

Syntec is on sale this week at CT....$24.98 for a 4.4 liter jug. Good deal.

And CATERHAM, yes, I agree entrirely there is VERY little difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 Syntec...

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I see people using this in their BMW engines and wondering why they have sludge.

Syntec 5/30???

Syntec 5w30 is a great oil. Alot of people on this site are followers and like to pile on certain oils or their products. People always complain about castrol not telling people what's EXACTLY in the oils they produce. Hello, why do they need to tell us this? Try their product and see for yourself then make an educated guess by your own information. ANY OIL YOU CAN BUY AT ANY LOCAL STORE WILL HAVE YOUR ENGINE RUNNING PERFECT FOR THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE WITH PROPER TLC AND MAINTAINANCE. If you like castrol use it it's great oil. Same for valvoline or kendall. Great oils all of them. This site is not what it used to be. I left the first time because of bickering back and forth over oil. I came back and i hope it stays somewhat informative. Again, castrol is a great oil in every category they provide a lubricant for. A person complains about the price of syntec or other brands, then drain their syn at 5 grand. Almost all dinos can go that far without breaking a sweat. Complain about price, then throw money down the drain.

Last edited:
I see people using this in their BMW engines and wondering why they have sludge.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why BMW recommends Castrol... because they are the only oil that will sludge their engines.

Get real, I know that a lot of people on here like to knock on Castrol, but you can't knock on it after a trip to the UOA section.

I base how good an oil is by the specifications it meets. Syntec has never been that great of a synthetic oil IMO. In fact Castrol had to make a new line of oils (Edge) that meet the more demanding specs and longer drain intervals.

So I don't really know what Syntec offers over any other conventional GF-4/API SM oil other than a higher price.

Syntec bombed the Honda turbo test. Failed miserably. Would not use Syntec in a turbo.

GC & Edge are much better oils. The BMW Castrol oils are decent as well.

Neither Edge or Synpower meet Honda HTO-06 yet fwiw.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus

Yeah, I'm sure that's why BMW recommends Castrol... because they are the only oil that will sludge their engines.

Get real, I know that a lot of people on here like to knock on Castrol, but you can't knock on it after a trip to the UOA section.

I think his point may have been that the Syntec 5W-30 (as found on a typical auto parts store shelf) is not the correct oil for a BWM. IIRC, BMW's prefer thicker oils in the 40-weight range (or close to it, like "German Castrol" Syntec 0W-30).

Originally Posted By: buster

Syntec bombed the Honda turbo test. Failed miserably. Would not use Syntec in a turbo.

Buster, where can I find the HTO-6 oil test results which shows the oil's which made it and which did not....

how bad did Syntec do? and what parameters did it exactly failed to meet in the test?

Thank You!

Originally Posted By: AndyH

I think his point may have been that the Syntec 5W-30 (as found on a typical auto parts store shelf) is not the correct oil for a BWM.

Or he's pointing out that the Syntec 5w-30 you find in the store is not the same as the BWM High Performance oil that BMW dealerships sell and use (which is also Castrol 5w-30, but this one actually meets the BMW spec).

Originally Posted By: lexus114
"A quick look at the UOA section reveals very few analysis on Syntec 5w30"

Going by the analysis you have seen of it,does it look good?

I don't know about UOA, but the VOA I saw looked very good with a strong add pack (high calcium?) IIRC.

I had to drain the 5-30 syntec out of my yaris - which should have tolerated this viscosity. Really excessive engine noise that got worse over a week to the point I thought the engine had broken a piston and a couple valve springs. TChain>Foaming? IDK ... Stuff would Prob work OK in a 5w20 car that you want to beef up a bit, like a 'stang GT with a blower or 100shot nitrous a new Hemi Truck. Like some say the VOA looks strong, and this is the only reason I tried it. But ADDS arent everything - there is still magic to be crafted in the basestock blending. IN the last 7 years only 2 oils have performed exceptionally: QS Higher Mileage Engine 10w30 and T Rotella T 10w-30. {M clean 5000 is great and Impressive right out of the bottle but gets tired at 3K in my apps. I'll give it a C+}.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Syntec 5W-30 does not state that it meets HTO-6 spec, would anyone know why? when Pennzoil and Mobil 1 do!
Maybe BC its not synthetic and they dont use shell slack wax stock anymore.

I have used Syntec 5W-30 in various apps, and saw no problems.
I have some in my stash right now and I'll certainly use it.
Might be a good winter oil, since it is on the thin side FWIR.

Originally Posted By: Durango
The GM dealership uses Castrol "Syntec" and wil be using it in my newly bought Impala SS V-8.

Durango
that syntec oil doesnt meet the required GM4718 spec. Wrong oil. Warranty?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back