Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the quiz on the promotions part of their website (http://www.castroledgeusa.com/index.html#/why-upgrade/test), and it turns out the 8X reduction in wear in this test pertains specifically to wear of the rocker arms.

The obvious question is, how often is a rocker arm the rate limiting factor that constrains the life of an engine? If the answer is not that often, I would think this finding is not that important.

Also I wonder how much it matters what the engine design is.

Yep, it matters what engine design, as the design is critical to the API test that measures such wear at the temperatures tested, and licences the oil based on it.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
I took the quiz on the promotions part of their website (http://www.castroledgeusa.com/index.html#/why-upgrade/test), and it turns out the 8X reduction in wear in this test pertains specifically to wear of the rocker arms.

The obvious question is, how often is a rocker arm the rate limiting factor that constrains the life of an engine? If the answer is not that often, I would think this finding is not that important.

If that is indeed the case, anyone else think that is what Valvoline was keying in on?

I spoke with someone @ Mobil R&D awhile back. According to this individual, engines are not wearing out and modern engine designs, including cam lobes/rocker arms etc. are using much better materials.

There seems to be more of an emphasis on sludge/deposit control. For GF-5, oils are going to have to improve in the TEOST test. In this area, Mobil 1 is probably as good as it gets other than maybe some of the exotic ester based oils. Take a look at the RLI data and look at the TEOST results of the "Leading Synthetic oil". Regardless, Mobil 1 should still pass the Seq IVA wear test. It's required in order to meet the basic API specs. Maybe Mobil 1 is biased towards sludge/deposits and doesn't handle the low temp/low load Seq IVA all that well. My .02

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton

On that page you linked it has a image of a motor with a oil drop on one side and a camshaft on the other. Click on either and it will tell you what they did.
It says:
OIL: Microns of Iron and copper from the worn parts are measured in the used oil. Aswell as kinematic viscosity and fuel dilution.

Camshaft: Upon removal each camshaft lobe is measured for physical wear in 7 key places - making sure the oil provides overall protection.

So Its more than just "rocker arms" as far as I see.

Not looking to start a war, just asking a ? How do we really know they are using the same Mobil 1 5w30 we can buy in a store. They can tell us anything they want, right?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
I just read Valvoline's 4 X better wear protection thread( vs. Mobil 1) and happened to see this display for Castrol EDGE 5W-30. Some poster's mentioned that Valvoline may be making an unsubstantiated claim against Mobil 1 but now Castrol is doing it too, citing the Sequence IVA wear test.

Check out the photo from their display:

0128091040-01.jpg

Art,

If your assuming some form of competition between the three oil I wouldn't worry about it much. I personally believe their all some-what simular in performance and would have no issue useing either Mobil 1, Castrol's synthetic or even Valvoline own syntheitc oil.

Durango

I was surprised to see several Castrol Edge 8x better than M1 T.V. commercials this evening on NBC and other major network channels. I thought this ad campaign ended. I guess XOM still hasn't fixed their wear protection problem or they just don't want to talk about it.

Castrol also has the 8x better than M1 banner on their website.

Does it really matter? I could use mobil,castrol,valvoline,amsoil,redline whatever I want. I'm still gonna make it to 300k miles on my motor. All this talk about m1 having higher Fe in UOAs guess what ill still be 300k motor still intact. I still think people believe there is a best oil and they keep looking. well No. Just choose a oil that's within your budget, meets your specs, and makes you feel all good inside.

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Does it really matter? I could use mobil,castrol,valvoline,amsoil,redline whatever I want. I'm still gonna make it to 300k miles on my motor. All this talk about m1 having higher Fe in UOAs guess what ill still be 300k motor still intact. I still think people believe there is a best oil and they keep looking. well No. Just choose a oil that's within your budget, meets your specs, and makes you feel all good inside.

I agree as far as major brands are concerned. However, I do think XOM's lack of response to this type of on-going never ending advertising will eventually be damaging to them.

Last edited:
Valvoline's website still claims 4x less wear for Synpower 5W30 verses M1 5W30. Quoted from the Valvoline website FAQ today:

I've heard SynPower offers four times better wear protection than Mobil 1. Can you prove it?

Yes. Valvoline and an independent lab conducted multiple Sequence IVA (Four A) Engine tests on Valvoline SynPower 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w30. The Sequence IVA is the industry standard test for determining wear performance of an engine oil and is required to meet the API SL and SM requirements. The test utilizes a 2.4 liter EFI overhead cam Nissan engine with a slider valve train design. Multiple tests were run at the Valvoline Engine Laboratory, a fully certified engine testing lab - and an independent research lab. Analysis of the test results showed that the Valvoline SynPower provided four times better wear protection than Mobil 1.

How does the test measure wear protection?

The Sequence IVA test is a 100-hour test involving 100 one-hour cycles. Twelve cam lobes are measured at seven locations using a surface profilometer for the measurement of maximum depth of wear. The wear on all seven positions of the lobe are added and then all 12 lobes are averaged for the wear result.

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/

Originally Posted By: mva

Valvoline's website still claims 4x less wear for Synpower 5W30 verses M1 5W30. Quoted from the Valvoline website FAQ today:

I was just thinking about this today. All this just kinda went away. Valvoline's, to my knowledge, only remarks on the issue now are this FAQ on their web site. They just kinda dropped it. Whatever happened to this claim?

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Whatever happened to this claim?

Castrol and Valvoline are still asserting their claim and there has been no response from Mobil 1.

Based on M1's lack of response and high iron in M1 5W30 UOA's, I am assuming it is still 100% true.

M1 5W30 performs relatively poorly on the SeqIV test.

Last edited:
I wonder why Pennzoil never jumped on the _ X lower wear or did they? I can't remember. You got to figure that Pennzoil could make that claim too since they also claim that no other synthetic provides less wear. I kind of admire how Mobil and Pennzoil don't go after their competitiors like the other two do.

That's what i like about Pennzoil. Their kinda like the quiet guys, that provide a product that works very good, no more and no less. No slinging mud, no name calling, no sludge falling from the clouds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back