Hard start problems- what could be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1999 Honda CRV developed a hard to start problem. In the morning, it will take 7-10 seconds of cranking before the engine starts. Lots of sputtering and coughing, and I have to keep pressure on the gas pedal or it won't start. If this were a car with a carburettor, I'd say fuel starvation problems. Once the engine catches, it behaves perfectly fine. My battery is very strong, only 3 months old. Cranking speed is normal. If the engine is still warm, there are no starting problems. If 4 hours or more have passed since I turned it off (cold engine), the starting problems are there. I have tried resetting the engine computer by disconnecting the battery overnight. Still no dice. Any ideas, guys?

I would start with coolant temp sensor reading and making sure it's spec.

Fuel pump/fuel pump check valve would be the first thing to check. Ck the pressure gauge cold, cycle the key and verify system pressure comes up.

Sometimes you can cycle the key to the "run" position 5-6 times before you start it to cycle the fuel pump and fill the rails. If it starts OK after cycling the key a few times, that pretty much confirms the fuelpump/ck valve roblem.

major service time. call the dealer and get it in plugs wires cap rotor timing belt/water pump adjust valves fuel filter clean and lube the brakes BG fuel system cleaner trans fluid diff fluid on awd crv. have u had this done in the past 36k? it is a honda as a ex service tech i will tell u the need to be taken care of very well and it will last a very long time.

Whats the mileage?

When was the last time these were done:

- Tune Up with wires/plugs
- Fuel Filter
- Air Filter

Could also be the fuel pump isn't putting out enough pressure for a cold start.

Do you have a Check Engine Light?

You state that it is heat related, and opening the throttle [thus the TPS] will help.
This indicated a fuel problem.
The fuel supply is not just having a good filter and pump, but the pressure sensor, MAF, TPS, and any other sensor can be a problem.
Check the pressure cold and hot first.

Remember the accellerator pedal just regulates how much AIR gets into the motor, the computer decides how much gas. If it's flooding with too much gas, hitting the pedal lets more air in and has it start.

It would be interesting to pull a spark plug after attempting starting, to see if it's wet or dry.

One can richen the starting mix with some ether or propane down the air intake while cranking.

A check engine light while the ignition is on and the motor not running is normal... the real question should be "was it on".

Good advice by others above.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
... Once the engine catches, it behaves perfectly fine...

Please clarify your sentence above. How long before the sputtering stops? How long do you have to keep the throttle open before it "behaves perfectly fine"? When you let off the throttle does it settle into a high idle as it should when cold?

Thanks all for your comments. The CRV has 82,000 km. I had the timing belt changed 4000 km ago, together with valve adjustment, tune up, change ATF 3 drain-refill cycles within a month, etc. Until last week, this car started up fine,within a half second after I activated the starter.

This morning I checked the spark plugs, all looked ok except for one that had the gap bigger than the recommended 0.040" so I regapped it. Color of all center electrodes was a light tan. Then I had to get off to work. Next items on the list would be to investigate the fuel supply. Gotta get hold of a service manual to locate those sensors and how to check them with a digital multimeter.

@BearZDefect The sputtering stops in 2 seconds after the engine catches and it settles into a nice high idle as it should,around 1200 RPM. I can then release the gas pedal and everything behaves normally, with normal power and no unusual engine noises as I drive. No check engine light at anytime, except of course at the initial turn of the key,where the CEL is on for a few seconds as the onboard diagnostics go their usual routine.

Last edited:
I'm with the folks that believe it's fuel related. I'm curious if the fuel filter was changed along with the tuneup items metioned by the OP. If there's some junk clogging the filter or the pickup screen in the tank that could slow initial fuel flow on a cold engine start.

Ed B.

The throttle does more than let in air.
It has a position sensor on it . This is crucial to proper operation, from starting to mid to WOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back