Can I let oil drain plug off over night ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
early today at 5:00pm or so, the weather is around 60 something, i let the oil drain out and went back inside, have few drink, what tv and some how I felt sleep lol, I just woke up around 8:15pm, and the weather out side is around 20-30, im plan to put oil in tomorrow, I just wonder can I leave the engine with no oil in it over night ? and left the oil plug off over night ? its ok ? thanks

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as it doesn't pour cats and dogs. There are some BITOG members that do it all the time to try and get every drop of oil out of their cars. They had no problems.

I wonder if oil pump will lose its prime after that time. Maybe longer to shut off oil pressure light after post fill startup.

Yea,just don't start it empty.

That's the danger.

I had an SUV on blocks with wheel off when doing brakes.

Wife jumps in, starts backing up. The rotor took a bite out of the concrete.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as it doesn't pour cats and dogs. There are some BITOG members that do it all the time to try and get every drop of oil out of their cars. They had no problems.

Me for instance.

I did it in my GTI and the oil pump lost its prime which revealed itself by the horrible sounds the engine made during the first start. It must be engine dependent since it is said above that many people do it (without this issue presumably).

You could disconnect the bttery cable....

Thats what I do if I run to the parts store and dont want the car Im working on started.

No one in the family will even open the hood, so I know they wont tackle putting the cable back on.

You might let too much air in.

Just kidding.

If you are concerned about a "dry start", just disconnect the spark and crank it a bit first.

Originally Posted By: jldcol
I wonder if oil pump will lose its prime after that time.

could happen...
if it does happen, it could be very hard for it to grab pressure.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
Originally Posted By: jldcol
I wonder if oil pump will lose its prime after that time.

could happen...
if it does happen, it could be very hard for it to grab pressure.

I've heard of a few Mopars of the 60's and '70's losing prime even after a few hours.

My belief is that there were other factors that lead to the loss of prime and leaving the pump dry was just a symptom.

If they were the pump on the front left of the engine block, and nearly a foot above the oil level...Holden used that idea on the V-8s.

If you didn't pack the pump with vaseline on a rebuild, you could wear out the engine before you got oil pressure.

I always leave the drain valve open overnight, I am in a garage but I cannot see where that would make any difference. Now oil filler cap in a dusty environment with hood open yes, but drain plug seriously doubt it

Sure you could, but what's the benefit?
After twenty minutes of draining, mine is at a very slow drip, maybe one drip per 3-5 mins. How much more oil can come out dripping every 10 mins, as it eventually will be every 20, then not at all.

Sure its ok if you fell asleep or whatever, but as a rule I wouldn't do it. We are all human and eventually something will be forgotten, and damage will result.

What if an emergency came up, in the middle of the night? If you only had one car, it could add precious minutes to a situation.

I agree that once oil stops streaming and forms drops as drains not really worth any longer to drain. This is a very clingy layer at bottom of pan and needs to be wiped off to remove. Longer drainage time will not get the job done, and as oil drips from pan it also drips from oil pump intake and piping and I think will slowly lose prime over time until near empty.

Once the oil and oil pan cool off, you might get an additional drip or two. For me, I'd rather start the engine when it is warm to keep the RPM's down until the oil pressure builds up with the new fill.

My Uncle was working on a Buick 231 V6 years ago in his shop and they had to leave it with no oil overnight for some reason. Upon returning in the morning, he finished the work, refilled the engine with fresh oil and a new filter and the engine had no oil pressure on startup from losing prime. He had to disassemble and pack the pump with Vaseline to get it to re-prime.

I am not sure if some engines are more prone to this but I wanted to share one instance where this actually happened.

Andrew S.

this morning weather is nice and warm, install filter, fill oil, start it up, no noise, car ran fine !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back