Schaeffer's 293 75W-90 GL-5 Gear Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sampled from a recently purchased, previously unopened 5 gal pail via suction pump.

Analysis by Polaris Labs.

Si-----27

Na-----1

K------2

Mo-----351

B------103

Mg-----10

Ca-----162

Ba-----2

P------1048

Z------66

All others 0

Water=
Visc. @100C= 16.1 cs

TAN= 2.71

A good TAN number.

It's too bad they didn't analyze the sulfur content. I would guess it would be about 3300 ppm or 3.3%.

Most diffy fluids contain a robust P-S package.

Last edited:
Yes, it would be interesting to see the sulfur content. I did notice this oil has a "lighter" smell than any previous EP gear oil I've had experience with.

I wanted to run this or the #167, but they only have it in pails. I have no use for 5 gallons of gear oil. I only have the rear diff in my car which takes..not even 3 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I wanted to run this or the #167, but they only have it in pails. I have no use for 5 gallons of gear oil. I only have the rear diff in my car which takes..not even 3 quarts.

The #293 75w90 is available in quarts.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A good TAN number.

It's too bad they didn't analyze the sulfur content. I would guess it would be about 3300 ppm or 3.3%.

Wouldn't 3300ppm be .33%?

Just found this, thanks for posting.

Didn't realize until a few minutes ago how the specs for Mobil1 75w-90, which Ive typically used in my MB cars, have gone downhill.

Looking at this, delvac 75w-90, and Amsoil SVG which I have had good experience with.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Yes, it would be interesting to see the sulfur content. I did notice this oil has a "lighter" smell than any previous EP gear oil I've had experience with.

They may have reformulated it with the new Multi-Functional Phosphite additive.

What specs have gone downhill? Can you post the comparison?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Just found this, thanks for posting.

Didn't realize until a few minutes ago how the specs for Mobil1 75w-90, which Ive typically used in my MB cars, have gone downhill.

Looking at this, delvac 75w-90, and Amsoil SVG which I have had good experience with.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A good TAN number.

Wouldn't 3300ppm be .33%?

It indeed would be and thanks for pointing out the decimal misplacement.

Sorry it took 9 nine years to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back