Toyota YZZD3 or Wix 51516?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my '09 4.0 Tacoma I've narrowed my filter choices down to the factory 90915-YZZD3 Toyota filter OR a Wix 51516. Which do you guys think would be a better choice? Price is about the same, so that's not an issue.

Last edited:
Man, either of those should be an excellent choice. I've been thinkin about the toyota filters also for my tacoma after my pureones run out, don't they also have the silicone adbv?

32.gif
but

Man I sure would like to get a new tacoma! Just make sure to keep an eye on the motor mount welds at the frame!

Of the hundreds of oil filters I've used over the last 30 plus years of driving and I cut open EACH AND EVERY one I've only had issues with a single filter.

The WIX had issues both in operation (noise on every startup) and upon cutting it open you could see the defect.

I'd go with the Toyota.

You can normally by a case of Toyota filters on Ebay for right around $4 per filter delivered. (or less)

Plus *if* you have any problems, using a Toyota filter would give Toyota one less thing that could try to question with the 5 year/60k mile warranty.

Take care, Bill

Bill, do you think the wix you had a problem with was a rare fluke or some kind of a flaw in the wix brand?

I normally do not use the Wix filters. I've only cut open 2 now.

One had a issue and one did not. So 50/50 so far....

I've cut open hundreds of Supertechs/champ with never a problem in either operation or construction.

Same with Fram.

Or Purolator.

Can only report what I've seen/done.

I know between the two the OP asked about, NO question which one I'd use.

Take care, Bill

PS: I'm on my third and last Wix right now. So if it works for the OCI with out any problems and when I cut it open no problems then Wix goes from 50/50 to 66/33% good. Still not terrific numbers... When I posted the photos of the bad part, other members here said that was normal.

Getting a noise EVERY start (either hot or cold) is not normal in my book. If others are seeing the defective part in their teardowns as normal, I'll stay away from that brand.

The factory installed filter is made in japan, ending part # of 20004 IIRC. The seal and ADBV are orange. The one from my local dealer is made in Thailand, and has a blk seal and ADBV. I'd like to get the Japan filters... but from what I hear, you can't get them in the USA. The Wix uses a orange ADBV also... Always used wix, never had an issue going back 10yrs.

Last edited:
Here I was after many threads thinking that Wix filters were DA' Bomb... and in one thread it is all questioned?

Alas, all I have in my stash right now are A Supertech, and several Napa Gold.

Well after doing more research I can buy the Denso Japan Factory Oil filter online for about $15. Big money, but worth it I guess. I'm gonna try and find a cheaper place to get it though... 90915-20004 is the japan Denso filter I want. Same thing the factory put in.

The color of the ADBV is not a issue.

How many engines are using a black one and not having a single problem?

$15 for a filter that you HAVE to change every 5k?

That is only $300 for 100k worth of filters.
shocked2.gif

I'd be ticked if my TOTAL cost of oil AND filters cost that much.

In the end, it will not matter. But it is your money.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Here I was after many threads thinking that Wix filters were DA' Bomb... and in one thread it is all questioned?

Alas, all I have in my stash right now are A Supertech, and several Napa Gold.

No, you've got one user who has convinced himself that one swallow does a summer make.

Bill is just a magnet for such things. You'll find a defect in any filter line up from any filter manufacturer. ANY. The odds of you running across them are next to zero.

Wix filter construction is about the best that there is. That is, there's not much to do "better". Where reinforced media is spec'd ..they have it ..where specific bypass valve settings are mandated, they have it, and where specific filtration spec's are mandated, they have it. Others may exceed them in filtration spec's ..but no in quality of construction spec's.

I just cut the Factory Japan Denso open. Not very impressed. the Can thickness is good, not flimsy like Purolator. The base plate is nice and thick. the Media is very odd, it's a stiff, dry looking sponge??? What the heck!!? and it uses a Leaf spring at the dome. the bypass is on the dome end, so in bypass mode you get wash over. Not 110% impressed. The cage is Plastic. It also had some cardboard on one end.. not sure why. The media has me scratching my head. any help here? what kind of media is it? The only thing that "COULD" be better than a Wix is the meda itself. I have no experience with such media. Next filter to cut open is the D3 Toyota filter (thailand). Then the Wix 51516. Then I will make the final decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cornfused
You gotta post pics man!!!!!

This is what he is talking about;

img2116a6ui.th.jpg

Sorry for the small photo, once they get so old the server shrinks them...

Here is a better one!

img2114a4ry.jpg

bill

Similar, but different. I sent pics to Cornfused a few minutes ago, hopefully he posts them up. Worst part of this filter is the Cardboard star ring. No idea why there would be cardboard in there.

Is there some advantage to this new type of media Denso is using?? I"ve never seen, read or heard about such a thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back