Smelling Gas fumes when I turn the heat on

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 96 Sunfire, due to the cold weather, heat is a must. Smelling gasoline fumes while heat is on only. The gasoline smell was getting so strong I had to turn the heat off this morning. What do I need to look at for a possible fuel leak?

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Loose or disconnected vacuum lines will cause that also.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Could also be a PCV or Breather hose that is cracked and allowing the fumes to vent under the hood and with the heater on your car is drawing them in along with fresh air from the outside. This was a common problem on old 2.5 litre Chrysler engines. The breather hose would get brittle and crack and then leak fumes.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
In my 96 Sunfire, due to the cold weather, heat is a must. Smelling gasoline fumes while heat is on only. The gasoline smell was getting so strong I had to turn the heat off this morning. What do I need to look at for a possible fuel leak?

A cigarette lighter will do.

DISCLAIMER* FOR COMPLETE MORONS: Don't follow my advice.

*Sadly, I believe a disclaimer is warranted.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman

A cigarette lighter.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Since it only happens when the heat is on, I would look for vacuum lines to the heater door actuators.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

LOL.gif

Classy

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Are the vent controls mechanical, or vacuum actuated?

I'll have to check my factory manual when I get home.

I've seen a lot of bad PCV systems and bad vacuum lines.
This doesn't really fit, but maybe.
I suspect a fuel leak that is evident only you are sucking air into the interior cabin.
Of course, I am going by your statement that it is really Fuel/Gas that is smelled/percieved, not just oil, coolant, or blowby.
A true gas smell is distinct, and should be pinpointed by a pro if necessary, and pretty soon.

It's definitely gas. I usually have a routine of turning off the heat when I shut the car off. But a few days ago, I left the heat on in the "low" position on the feet setting. When I restarted the car, after sitting for five minutes to get the mail, strong gasoline smell was coming from the heater. I shut the heater off, the gas smell went away.

Here's another weird thing, it's not always there. If I drive highway miles, there is no gas smell coming from the heater vents. I notice it when I drive all stop and go driving during rush hour. At first I thought it was just from other cars exhaust pipes from sitting in traffic, but I've smelled it upon startup.

I changed the PCV valve last year actually, the old one, I could still blow through it. First place I'm going to look is the vacuum lines to see for any obvious cracks. This is going to be fun.
frown.gif

Take a sniff check under the hood and around the car. The intake for the heater is in the cowl area. I suspect you may be sucking in fumes from a fuel leak. I would think that a broken, loose, disconnected, cracked vacuum line would draw air in and not push gasoline fumes out? On the 96 GM trucks the heater controls were all electricaly actuated, not sure about sunfires.

Last edited:
Just go over all the fuel lines and the fuel rail carefully with the ignition on but the engine not running.

Just don't light up a nice cigar!

LOL.gif

Classy

Well, I wasn't calling you a moron, if it's any consolation. The disclaimer was for the benefit of those who might light up! I didn't want any dead morons on my conscience.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Take a sniff check under the hood and around the car. The intake for the heater is in the cowl area. I suspect you may be sucking in fumes from a fuel leak. I would think that a broken, loose, disconnected, cracked vacuum line would draw air in and not push gasoline fumes out? On the 96 GM trucks the heater controls were all electricaly actuated, not sure about sunfires.

That would be my take. A defective actuator/leaking vac line should be sucking unfiltered air into the vacuum source, the engine.

I had this occur in my mother's old Citation. Even her mechanic couldn't find the leak (he changed the rubber tubing as a precaution). At night, I had cause to look under the hood while it was running with a flashlight. ONLY then could you see the illuminated spray of the leaking fuel pump. If it was daylight (or in a well lit situation), it was invisible.

In theory, a vacuum line would not emit fumes. In practice, it happened to me three weeks ago. A search for the source of pungent fumes found a mushy line to the cruise control. Fixing the line fixed the fumes, like turning a switch off.

Now, I will grant that a vaccum line vapor smell is not exactly like a liquid fuel smell, but when you are diagnosing something second hand, being too literal or taking a problem report at face value can cause you to miss possibilities.

Please do yourself a favour and go to a reputable shop.

Its very likely a POS quality fuel injector or POS fuel pressure regulator.

If one fuel injector is leaking I would replace all 4. You will find that many automotive parts store will have ALOT of rebuilt injectors in stock. This is quite common for higher mileage sunfires. I warn you it'll thin your wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back