CDL and drug testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I work, I'm next door to the "human resources/misc. tasks" lady. One of her tasks today is getting some company drivers prepared for their CDL testing and the drug test they have to take. This got me to wondering; what happens if a guy takes a drug test, and he's on all sorts of wacky drugs that are prescribed by his doctor? For example, what if a guy were on anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, pain killers, sleeping pills, etc., but all of it is prescribed by his doctor? How "clean" does a guy have to be to get a CDL?

I'm so happy to live in a Country where this is illegal and not allowed... I'm on Sleeping pills, Anxiety Medication for Migraines and I like to drink and smoke the good stuff now and again...
grin2.gif

I don't have any CDL experience. But when you order a drug test for an employee, you get to choose what drugs to test for. It's not an "on drugs or not" it's a "was there any content of these specific drugs" kinda thing. And so, for most things you mentioned, we don't want to know so we don't ask, and don't find out, for legal reasons.

So for the CDL, I assume it's the same... there are things they specifically look for. Those other things won't show up on the report unless they're relevant (as determined by your state).

Most of the drug tests are for specific drugs. Like pot, coke, meth and whatnot. If you want to get into the "oh he had 2 asprin yesterday" type of tests nobody could afford them, and they would require alot more blood and urine.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm so happy to live in a Country where this is illegal and not allowed... I'm on Sleeping pills, Anxiety Medication for Migraines and I like to drink and smoke the good stuff now and again...
grin2.gif

You really need to get rid of your worst habit, which is the unwarranted use of caps.
grin2.gif

Sorry bad habit. I use a lot of acronyms at work and I guess the left "Shift" finger likes to be involved. xxxx Bad Finger!

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
One of her tasks today is getting some company drivers prepared for their CDL testing and the drug test they have to take.

I would exceptionally [censored] if I had to take a drug test.

Where I work, I'm next door to the "human resources/misc. tasks" lady. One of her tasks today is getting some company drivers prepared for their CDL testing and the drug test they have to take. This got me to wondering; what happens if a guy takes a drug test, and he's on all sorts of wacky drugs that are prescribed by his doctor? For example, what if a guy were on anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, pain killers, sleeping pills, etc., but all of it is prescribed by his doctor? How "clean" does a guy have to be to get a CDL?

It is illegal to discriminate based on the result of these tests if the results do not contain traces of illegal substances.

But, how long do you think the driver that has all these medicines will last at work? Not very long.

Another example is pregnancy. It is illegal to discriminate against pregnancy but it is very often tested as part of drug screening and pregnant women somehow do not qualify for the job (based on some other reason, obviously).

It's a messed up system but that's what we got...

But if you're taking a narcotic based prescription drug, it can show up in drug testing. When you get your DOT physical, you're supposed to put down all prescription drugs you're taking. DOT doctors can royally [censored] with you after that and so can companies. If you're on anti-psychotic medication, a DOT doctor will likely not give you a medical card and you won't be getting your CDL.

Last edited:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/safety-initiatives/drugs/engtesting.htm

You get tested for five drugs:

Marijuana (THC metabolite)
Cocaine
Amphetamines
Opiates (including heroin)
Phencyclidine (PCP)

Two of those substances might be all or part of a prescription drug, and you inform the test lab as to what you're taking and how much.

Even with prescriptions, there are some additional rules that prohibit the use of legally prescribed controlled substances (such as barbiturates, amphetamines, morphine, etc.) by safety-sensitive drivers involved in interstate commerce.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
grin2.gif

So you think it would be okay to drive 80,000lbs down the highway when you are on all of your meds?

I'm all for personal freedoms, but I don't like the idea of a truck driver with 3 months experience dead heading to get a load after his company forced him to break DOT hours of service rules, so he starts using meth to stay awake! (it's more common then you'd think).

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'm all for personal freedoms, but I don't like the idea of a truck driver with 3 months experience dead heading to get a load after his company forced him to break DOT hours of service rules, so he starts using meth to stay awake! (it's more common then you'd think).

So, who do you punish for that?

Trucking companies should be punished, but they never are.

Plug "fines trucking site:dot.gov" into Google.

Trucking companies get fined all the time.

Originally Posted By: Rolf
Trucking companies should be punished, but they never are.

Plug "fines trucking site:dot.gov" into Google.

Trucking companies get fined all the time.

Oh, so now Mike is a know it all in the tucking industry.
smirk2.gif

Yea, they get fined here and there, but if you're working for one of the large [censored] trucking companies like CR England, that's forced dispatch and you refuse a load based on hours of service, most times you'll be fired on the spot. A driver can try and prove they were unlawfully fired, but it's more trouble then not. If you try and get back at the company, then they'll dump on your DAC and you can't get another job until you prove your DAC was fraudulently dinged.

Fines for things like hours of service violations are a cost of business. Doesn't make them stop in the least.

It's probably the most cut throat industry.

There's a mine locally that does urine tests for the miners, and saliva tests for the office staff. Office staff smoke on the weekends, undergrounders can't.

They've introduced random roadside testing now. Can get pulled over, just like and RBT, and be forced to provide a cheek swab.

Work are looking at introducing testing this year. It's a performance test (follow the dots) thing. If it indicates that you are impaired, you go home, or sit out the site stuff.

One good thing about it is that in other stations, it's used to monitor fatigue on overtime as well, supporting those who want to get a taxi home rather than drive.

Oh, so now Mike is a know it all in the tucking industry.

No, I haven't tucked in quite some time.

And my name is not "Mike".

Using the same search, you'll find DOT's report to Congress on enforcement.

With those facts in hand, one can see enforcement efforts are aimed at problems, be they individuals or companies.

Of course, there are more individuals than companies.

If you have some facts that support the conclusion that is not the case, I am sure everyone would like to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back