Royal Purple 5-30 w/No ILSAC (StarBurst symbol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about everone else, but I have an extremely hard time reading that yellow highlighted sentence..........could you please edit your post and change the color.

Going back to what I said earlier. You would be hard pressed to ever find an engine or emissions failure due to oil issues. These failures would be due to mechanical issues or lack of maintenance on the part of the owner.

If your car needs warranty work it will not be because of a oil failure issue.

Do you take good care of your vehicles? If so, use the oil you want.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Going back to what I said earlier. You would be hard pressed to ever find an engine or emissions failure due to oil issues. These failures would be due to mechanical issues or lack of maintenance on the part of the owner.

If your car needs warranty work it will not be because of a oil failure issue.

Do you take good care of your vehicles? If so, use the oil you want.

I've said this before myself,and got nothin but grief from the oil gods on the "oil forums of the internet"
LOL.gif

Doesnt matter to me.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Something to consider:

It is worth noting that most Porsches have lived the majority of their lives with high Zn and P oils as found in API SG-SJ oils as late as 2004, and we never hear of problems with their catalytic converters."

The rest--> http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Couldn't read the yellow

I don't blame them for not participating in a program (ILSAC) that is not enforced. I can see how they interpreted ILSAC as not meaning much since it is self reported.

I noticed this too on the newer bottles of RP 5w30. That is why I switched back to Mobil 1 5w30 due to having an extended warranty and wanting no issues with repair work if needed. Now I am wondering if I should have made the switch.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
I noticed this too on the newer bottles of RP 5w30. That is why I switched back to Mobil 1 5w30 due to having an extended warranty and wanting no issues with repair work if needed. Now I am wondering if I should have made the switch.

I agree there probably would never be an oil related failure by using RP. But I'm not willing to risk voiding my factory warranty on a new Lexus with a $10k plus engine in it. Just to big of a risk to take, regardless of the RP guarantee itself.

I'll wait until the warranty expires or RP reformulates their oil to be compliant with current Toyota/Lexus specs, along with most other auto manufacturers that require ILSAC rating for their new vehicles.

You left out the required / recommended part.

What year, make, and model Lexus and page number of your manual are you referring to?

I often read, esp on Mobil factsheets that their oil is SM/SL/SJ...

now if an SM has a ZDDP limit of 800, this must then mean that SL/SJ... and older ones also have less than 800.. correct? in which case there would be no point in going to SL for better protection.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

now if an SM has a ZDDP limit of 800, this must then mean that SL/SJ... and older ones also have less than 800.. correct? in which case there would be no point in going to SL for better protection.

That is not correct, SL oils limit was 1000ppm and I believe SJ was 1200ppm for ZDDP. What Mobil means on their fact sheets by SM/SL/SJ is their (and all) SM oil is supposed to be backwards compatible and can be used on engines that required SL or SJ (or any previous ratings) when they were built. Although the SM oil does not provide the protection for older engines that use flat tappet camshafts.

Originally Posted By: Spector
I commend RP for a very honest well written letter in lieu of the marketing junk we see from too many companies.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A

Just curious about something. What year/make/model etc do you have? If it is an older vehicle RP still meets the warranty requirements now if it did then. The API Starburst just requires you run the most current/highest service level( and meet certain fuel economy standards as well )so it is something that can change during the ownership of your vehicle. You do not have to change oils with it as it changes.

At one time, when RP carried it on the bottle, that was SL. Now it is SM. However, if you were running RP in the past with the Starburst then your engine was spec'd for, and still is, SL oil. That means you can still run the RP and meet your warranty requirements. The API Starburst changed but your engine requirements/needs and spec's did not.

Or, did you have some older RP that you were using up or something? It is hard to explain what I am trying to say. Hope it is clear? The mfg spec'd your car for a certain class of oil. Just because a new class came out later does not mean you have to start using that class. Make sense? You only have to follow the spec's and requirements that applied when you bought the vehicle.

If API SL was the top dog and what the car mfg spec'd when you bought your vehicle than that is all you have to run now. You do not have to start running API SM now or API SN when it comes out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: crinkles

That is not correct, SL oils limit was 1000ppm and I believe SJ was 1200ppm for ZDDP. What Mobil means on their fact sheets by SM/SL/SJ is their (and all) SM oil is supposed to be backwards compatible and can be used on engines that required SL or SJ (or any previous ratings) when they were built. Although the SM oil does not provide the protection for older engines that use flat tappet camshafts.

but then the SM can't be backwards compatible, if it is going to perform worse in an engine designed for an SJ?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Who says it's going to perform worse? They use alternative additives to make up for the lost or reduced ones.

I keep hearing that there are alternative additives, and I'm actually sure its true. But I'm a curious beast... Anyone know the specific chemistries used in newer oils and how they protect? We've all got a pretty good handle on how ZDDP protects and how it is depleted as it works... how about similar info on the new chemistry???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back