Has anyone seen the new formula Mobil 1 ATF....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Then I guess you haven't visited the website... Here is what they meet:

* GM DEXRON® II, III & VI
* Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V & SP
* Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4®
* Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
* Toyota Type T and T-IV
* Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
* Allison C-3, C-4
* Caterpillar TO-2
* Voith G607, G1363
* ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
* Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
* BMW 7045E
* NAG 1 & 2
* JWS 3309
* LT 71141 (ESSO)
* Nissan Matic D, J & K
* Vickers I-286S & M-2950S

Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.

Not for use in CVT transmissions.

No, those are what it is recommended for. It is not CERTIFIED to MEET any of those specifications as far as I know. Great fluid, but you are doing it a disservice by misrepresenting it.

So let us ask them for the license numbers and/or copies of the approval letters. If they cannot or will not produce either then I guess we know the answer don't we?

Last edited:
Who really cares if it is certified or not... If it does and exceptional job like its doing in my transmission and the company that produces it backs it with a warranty does it matter?

The way you wrote it was incorrect, that is all. It is not certified. It is "recommended for" those applications as per AMSOIL's own testing. Nothing wrong with that, but it is simply a good idea to post that sort of information accurately, which you did not do.

I am sure there are a number of people who like to have fluid that is approved by their manufacturer in their transmission.......

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Then I guess you haven't visited the website... Here is what they meet:

* Toyota Type T and T-IV
* Allison C-3, C-4
* Caterpillar TO-2
* Voith G607, G1363
* ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
* BMW 7045E
* NAG 1 & 2
* JWS 3309
* LT 71141 (ESSO)
* Nissan Matic D, J & K

No, those are what it is recommended for. It is not CERTIFIED to MEET any of those specifications as far as I know. Great fluid, but you are doing it a disservice by misrepresenting it.

So let us ask them for the license numbers and/or copies of the approval letters. If they cannot or will not produce either then I guess we know the answer don't we?

No need, it CLEARLY states on AMSOIL's website:

Quote:
AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:
* Toyota Type T and T-IV
* Allison C-3, C-4
* Caterpillar TO-2
* Voith G607, G1363
* ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
* BMW 7045E
* NAG 1 & 2
* JWS 3309
* LT 71141 (ESSO)
* Nissan Matic D, J & K

Well if they want to make claims, at least in my view, those claims need to be substantiated otherwise,in my opinion they are just worthless marketing hype. It basically comes down to have you got it or have you not and if not cut the Cattle Droppings.

Last edited:
Well if they want to make claims, at least in my view, those claims need to be substantiated otherwise,in my opinion they are just worthless marketing hype. It basically comes down to have you got it or have you not and cut the Cattle Droppings.

Lubrizol (or any additive company) can't be trusted with their "field testing" eh?
grin2.gif

I'm passionate about the product because of it's great results as are the others about their favourite brand AKA Mobil-1 Valvoline etc.

48.gif

Steve - I use Amsoil also and like it, but if the Mobil 1 was cheaper, easier to get and as good I would switch to it.

I have you done UOA of your ATF to see how its faring or are you merely making subjective observations (which is OK).

Well if they want to make claims, at least in my view, those claims need to be substantiated otherwise,in my opinion they are just worthless marketing hype. It basically comes down to have you got it or have you not and if not cut the Cattle Droppings.

I guess it depends how much stock you put in the certification process. Personally, I'm comfortable with in-house testing and recommendations from reputable manufacturers. Exxon/Mobil is the world's largest corporation and could easily afford OEM certification but chose not to. Based on their own testing they are confident in recommending the product, and similarly so is Amsoil.

In my own experience, the transmissions in 3 of my last 4 North American vehicles failed and required rebuild or replacement. Tranny went in my Ford Explorer, it went in my Bonneville SSE, and it went in my Chev Lumina (at 48,000 miles...). All vehicles were bought new, and the ATF fluid was the original OEM certified product. After the tranny was rebuilt in my Ford Explorer I switched to Mobil 1 ATF and the tranny has been working great for 3 years now since the rebuild.

IF there has been any tranny failures attributed to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF OR Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF I'd love to hear about them--I haven't been able to uncover anything.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I'm passionate about the product because of it's great results as are the others about their favourite brand AKA Mobil-1 Valvoline etc.

48.gif

Steve - I use Amsoil also and like it, but if the Mobil 1 was cheaper, easier to get and as good I would switch to it.

I have you done UOA of your ATF to see how its faring or are you merely making subjective observations (which is OK).

I have done a UOA on it after it was in there for a while, meaning multiple changes... It came back the same as the dealer stuff, but what the dealer stuff doesn't do is keep it shifting the way I like it.

Who really cares if it is certified or not... If it does and exceptional job like its doing in my transmission and the company that produces it backs it with a warranty does it matter?

Who cares? --I care.
Does it matter? --Yes it certainly does matter.

The problem to this opinion is: if there is a design fluke in the ATF and it causes a failure of a particular model of transmission in mass, and the cost to replace these transmission is not what Amsoil can afford to do, then Amsoil file for bankrupcy and the manufacture refuse warranty (due to the fluid not being certified), what would happen to the vehicle owner?

Don't laugh, this happens to so many small OEM in all industries when a component fail, the customer ends up footing the bill. An importer of Chinese ambulance tires that was forced to recall the faulty tires is a good example.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

The problem to this opinion is: if there is a design fluke in the ATF and it causes a failure of a particular model of transmission in mass, and the cost to replace these transmission is not what Amsoil can afford to do, then Amsoil file for bankrupcy and the manufacture refuse warranty (due to the fluid not being certified), what would happen to the vehicle owner?

Don't laugh, this happens to so many small OEM in all industries when a component fail, the customer ends up footing the bill. An importer of Chinese ambulance tires that was forced to recall the faulty tires is a good example.

I think your example is full of [censored]. First of all the blenders like Amsoil have done their testing as they know what is involved and know their product will stand up. I would assume they have insurance companies behind their warranty claims so that claims do not take them out of business. As in Amsoil pays the first $1M in claims and insurance companies pay the rest as its very low risk. Even your top insurance companies do re-insurance with brokers to spread the risk.

Basically you do not know what the exact story is (and neither do I) but almost no one on this forum has anything bad to say about using Amsoil ATF to replace a factory ATF (when spec'ed) so why bring up this [censored].

If auto XXXX had a design flaw and had 1000 transmission claims against a faulty transmission and 10 of those happened to be using Amsoil do you think they could get away with paying 990 of them for using OEM ATF but not the 10 that had used Amsoil ATF?

From the results I have seen using their Engine Oil, Transmisison Fluid, Power Steering Fluid & Brake Fluid. I would not hesitate to use it in my next vehicle before the warranty period is up.

I truly believe in their product and use it with confidence... It's ok if there are others who use another brand or stay within the change interval in their manuals during the warranty period as I have done in the past, but I wouldn't do this in future because I'm so confident in the Amsoil product and don't think it is necessary.

I know my vehicle is way over protected with Amsoil.

grin2.gif

From the results I have seen using their Engine Oil, Transmisison Fluid, Power Steering Fluid & Brake Fluid. I would not hesitate to use it in my next vehicle before the warranty period is up.

I truly believe in their product and use it with confidence... It's ok if there are others who use another brand or stay within the change interval in their manuals during the warranty period as I have done in the past, but I wouldn't do this in future because I'm so confident in the Amsoil product and don't think it is necessary.

I know my vehicle is way over protected with Amsoil.

grin2.gif

Have you read the papers that I've sent you?

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
The new bottles of of M1 ATF I have mentions chrysler transmissions. I took that to mean ATF+4 compatible, although it does not actually mention ATF+4. I'm thinking it would work fine in those applications, although the FWD units can be picky about fluid type.

My guess is that Some Jeep Cherokees(Possibly other Chrysler products) actually said to use Dexron ATF, so Mobil decided to stretch and bend the rules by saying it is suitable for Chrysler products.

In other words, You wouldn't want to put it in an ATF+3/+4 transmission.

Now the new stuff.... That is a different story.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Have you read the papers that I've sent you?

Not yet... I'm out of town on business and will read them when I get back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back