when to use seafoam-before or after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this is the right area to post this. When should you use seafoam in your oil, before or after an oil change, or does it matter? If before, how many miles would you go before you changed the oil? Thanks.

I typically use Seafoam (though I prefer GM Top Engine cleaner, for some unscientific reason) before a tune-up, which includes an oil change and spark plug replacement. You'd be fine to use it without replacing the plugs, but I'd still do it before an oil change.

Edit: I mis-read your post. I never use it in the oil, I always suck it into the intake manifold or pour it into the throttle body.

Last edited:
if you do decide to put it in the oil, i would not run it for an incredibly long amount of time. ive done it before for like a day (i used 1/2 of a can) and then flushed it the next day. reason being is supposedly it breaks down the oil, so dont keep it in for too long. but there are many positive testimonials from people who have done this. i for one think seafoam is a great product, whether it is used in the gas, the oil, or through the intake system
grin2.gif

I would not use it at all that way. if you're really gung ho, then
use auto rx, which works wonders, or use MMO, which doesn't do that much, but it's not too dangerous either (put in for one or two weeks, or 500 miles, before draining), or drain a quart of oil and replace with diesel fuel, and idle for 10 minutes and drain. or drain all oil, replace with diesel fuel, and let sit overnight, crank engine with ignition wire disconnected, and drain, and change the oil once again within a few days of doing this. seafoam is too strong of a solvent to go into a crank case - your engine will suffer accelerated wear, and you will end up with a very clean worn out engine ready for rebuild.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What does seafoam do?

"Cleans", it is kind of like AC Delco combustion chamber cleaner, but with a much stranger name.......

I use B12 Chemtool it's stronger than seafoam. I'd say use seafoam less than 50 miles before an oil change. I would waste my money on putting seafoam in the oil. If you're looking for an engine flush I'd recommend Amsoil engine flush.

I used SeaFoam all the time on my 02 Sierra. It's great and cheap (about 5-6 bucks). Do it right before you change the oil, but if it's your first time be prepared for a smoke show.

I'd disconnect the break booster line and let it suck up about 3/4 of the can. The rest went into my gas tank. I did that every 12,000 miles. My 08 is just under 7k, so I'm going to wait until it hits the 12K mark and look out neighbors.

Depending on where your brake booster vacuum port is, this method may only clean one cylinder:( It is probably better to squirt it into the carb or throttle body to ensure even distribution to all cylinders.
I also would use it just before an oil change rather than after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back