Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 96 Chevy 2500 with a 6.5 turbo diesel, I'm thinking about changing the oil with Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5w-40. Is that a pretty good oil? Or hat would you reccomend? Also, how many quarts does it take?

Takes 7 quarts of oil with filter. That oil would work or, Delvac 1 5W-40, Rotella T Syn 5W-40, Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40, Amsoil 5W-40, many to choose from. Although I believe in 96 the preferred weight was 15W-40.

Even the preferred weight is 15W-40, it is better to use 5W40 in winter for cold start. M1 TDT 5w-40 is very good oil, Shell Rotella T Syn 5W-40 is very good oil too and can be purchased for less than M1 TDT.

Originally Posted By: BoostedBird
I just picked up a 96 Chevy 2500 with a 6.5 turbo diesel, I'm thinking about changing the oil with Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5w-40. Is that a pretty good oil? Or hat would you reccomend? Also, how many quarts does it take?

should take about 8 qts w/filter change.

I put a lot of miles on a built-up 6.2L GM in Colorado. I still have the manual for it and it lists 10W-30 for 0F to 100F. 15W40 is listed for +10 to 100+. It lists 5W30 for -20 to 60F.

I found the 6.2L to be a so-so cold starter compared to my similar year Ford 6.9L when using the stock glow times. That was partially due to altitude plus cold, as well as short glow times on the stock controller and the notoriously lousy Colorado diesel fuel of that era. I needed every advantage and found 10W30 Rotella-T worked well in winter helping the engine to spin over better. It was in a Blazer that didn't tow, it wasn't hot around there so I didn't need the protection of a grade 40 oil. The 5W40 didn't exist then but today, if you feel like you need the protection, that would be the best choice for year around in MI. The newest 10W30 Rotella-T is an even better oil than backthen, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it in a 6.2L in your climate.... assuming the truck isn't going to be working hard most of the time. In the end, I used a hybrid glow system and improved glow plugs for better starting. If interested, Google the 6.2-6.5L Diesel Page, which has a lot of useful info on these engines and how to build a better glow system.

BTW, the GMs have an engine oil heat exchanger in the radiator that both cools the oil in hot weather and warms it in cold. A nice feature!

With the non-intercooled turbo of a 6.5, I would bite the bullet and run a full synthetic, such as Mobil TDT or Delvac 1 5W40, or even Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic-if you ever do any hot weather, extended towing or highway runs, you'll be a LOT easier on your turbo on a hot shutdown. Watch that temperature gauge, don't let it EVER get too hot (over 210 or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back