lifter noise what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 focus with 106,000 mile on it. The car has a lifter noise when it warms up. I have been using M1 5w-30. I am
woundering if a 5-40 oil would be better for the car or a high mileage oil like max life would be better. And also if i sound stay with a synth. oil or go to dino oil.

It's unlikely the noise is due to the oil (well, unless it's been in there for 80K of those 106K :) < ). Also, a heavier oil is unlikely to cure a lifter problem. Nor would it be of much benefit overall in an engine that's basically in good shape. I think you would be fine sticking with what you have been using... a good quality synthetic oil. The noise is a separate issue that should be investigated by determining what mechanical part is failing. The chances that a different oil will cure any problem are remote IMO.

Last edited:
Hmm..I don't know, Jim. That is, I don't completely agree. Hot idle lifter ticks, while caused by some other issue (wear, dirt, etc.) are almost always related to viscosity ..otherwise they would show up when the oil is thicker. He may very well quiet the lifter with a heavier oil. OTOH, you may have to go too thick to do that.

I'd clean up the offending situation as my first choice.

You can just try something heavier (a cheap 5w-40 like RTS just to reduce costs) ..but I'd rather attempt to clean up whatever is out of whack. I'd personally get a bottle of Auto-Rx and some MC 5w-20 for the duration of the winter and continue using it through the rinse phase. I wouldn't worry about the noise in the meantime.

How long is your typical driving event? Just trying to "remote view" on how close to normalized oil temps you are for the onset of the hot idle ticking.

if you try to use a thicker oil, go with a synthetic 0W40! This way your cold starts won't suffer. I think Mobil makes 0W40 not sure who else besides Amsoil.

Yeah I was thinking M1 0W-40 too. He is in cold Michigan.

If the engine is not really clean (it likely is having been on M1), Auto-RX may help. Could instead do an Amsoil flush.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hmm..I don't know, Jim. That is, I don't completely agree. Hot idle lifter ticks, while caused by some other issue (wear, dirt, etc.) are almost always related to viscosity ..otherwise they would show up when the oil is thicker. He may very well quiet the lifter with a heavier oil. OTOH, you may have to go too thick to do that.

I'd clean up the offending situation as my first choice.

Of course there are always "possibilities." In the 20 years I was a tech (most of them as an ASE Master), I ran across a lot of noisy hydraulic lifters on a variety of engines. Unless the car was neglected, where grunge might be a factor, 99 percent of the time an oil change or additives didn't help. It was usually something else. Oil can't put metal back onto a worn part. M1 is good oil and 5W30 is certainly viscous enough when you consider the car is spec'ed for 5W20. Presumably, it's been changed regularly and the owner uses a good filter. Like Gary said, a thicker oil MAY help a lifter that's leaking down excessively, but it's really masking the symptom and sooner or later, you are back to the same place. Plus, there are many OTHER things it could be besides a lifter, many of which sound similar. I'm not at all familiar with the Focus engine, so I can't offer any specifics on what that may be. If the owner is loathe to seeing a pro for an opinion, I suppose a more viscous grade of oil can be tried. Won't hurt and if it doesn't help, you're no worse off than the cost of an oil change. If it does work, without it being properly diagnosed, you don't know if it's just masking the symptom and worse lies ahead, or if it's going to be clear sailing ahead. Me, I like to know. That's why I can hop into anything I own (even my 23 year old pickup) and drive to Alaska without having to worry about making it. Well, maybe not the tractors... but you know what I mean!

I have this same problem with my vehicle. I'm currently running a cleaning cycle with ARX to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't then I'm just not going to worry about it. Mine only happens when the engine is cold. I tried thicker/thinner weights and different brands but it still does it. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has been doing it for about 50,000km and goes away once warm. In the summer heat it sometimes returns after I have been running the car for a few hours, but again my engine is fine...

I'm with Gary on this one, try cleaning it up. If that doesn't work and you really like the car then have it repaired. Just be sure its a lifter and not an injector that's making noise.

I have witnessed mechanics in the used car department, change oil on trades that were taken in that had lifter noises and band-aided them with a full quart of Lucas Engine Oil Treatment added in place of 1 qt of oil. The noise went away sometimes. The problem still existed, and many of the cars came back with PO'ed customers after the person who bought them changed the oil......Years ago Casite Motor Honey and STP did the same thing, and probably still will. Its just a band-aid.

A 2.0 Zetec in the Focus? They have mechanical lifters - buckets.
The adjustment can last 150,000 miles or more, but who knows with yours? You may have a loose one or two.

I have this problem with my car too, goes away when the engine begins to warm up and I have been using MC 5000 for the last two oil changes. Im going to try out a different brand just for HA-HA's. I wouldn't worry too much about it, my car has 121k on it and many other MItsu 6g72 3.0's have the exact same problem. I really think it is just the nature of certain engines.

Jim

I've got the tick as well, although it does not stop when the engine has warmed up. It however does not tick every time the engine is started. Very strange. The performance is not altered at all when it ticks. It's a Chrysler 2.7L and I believe it has lash adjusters and not lifters. If the tick happened on a continuous basis, I would take it in for an adjustment. Otherwise, I'm in the same camp with Kartracer and StevieC. I may try a 5W-30 this spring when it warms up and yes I have done an ARX treatment.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A 2.0 Zetec in the Focus? They have mechanical lifters - buckets.
The adjustment can last 150,000 miles or more, but who knows with yours? You may have a loose one or two.

Sefocus: There you go. No hydraulic lifters at all, if mechtech is correct (and I presume he is). Changes the whole thing. If it's just a slight tick, might be good to just observe and note any changes. If it's loud, maybe a trip to the dealer. When you go, just tell them you have a tick and give them the circumstances (not there cold but there hot). It's best if you don't share any second hand diagnoses (like mine or anyone else's). Sometimes that plants the idea of doing some unnecessary work. "Just the facts, m'am!" Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back