Make your own wheel cleaner: 10 cents / quart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the recipe:
Mix 32 oz water and 1-2 tablespoons of Bar Cleaner's Friend (the powdered stuff you get at Wal-mart)...you can store this in an empty spray bottle. Use as needed and apply with a wheel brush to maximize cleaning efficacy.
Many wheel cleaners contain oxalic acid, which is the active found ingredient in Bar Cleaner's Friend. Now you don't have to get ripped off by paying $5-6 for a bottle of wheel cleaner!

Originally Posted By: Chuck1986
Many wheel cleaners contain oxalic acid

I could rub the wheels down with spinach.

Wheel brush? I don't touch my wheels with anything harder than a cotton rag, even if I use something stronger like bug&tar remover on them. Typically, just regular car shampoo is sufficient. The key is to wash your wheels often.

Most wheels are either painted or clear coated, basically the same thing. Oxalic acid is a bit harsh for cleaning paint.

I guess if you have some really neglected wheels and are willing to sacrifice some finish life to get them clean.
grin2.gif

Car wash and a coating of Aerospace 303 so they are easy to clean next time works for me. Rejex would prolly do a better job of making them easy to clean next time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wheel brush? I don't touch my wheels with anything harder than a cotton rag, even if I use something stronger like bug&tar remover on them. Typically, just regular car shampoo is sufficient. The key is to wash your wheels often.

MAJOR +1

A cotton wash cloth and the bucket of car wash(after the whole car is already done) works great for me.

Theres all these products that say they "cut" through the brakedust and grime. Its all marketing, you can run your finger accross the wheel and leave a clean line from doing that.
A wash cloth and car wash works the best IMO. When you start useing brushs and wheel cleaner sprays that have acid, you start to notice the wheels look dull after awhile.

Id stick to car wash and cloth and if you want throw a coat of wax on the wheels every 6 months.
thumbsup2.gif

A good quality all purpose cleaner, diluted accordingly, also makes for a nice wheel and tire cleaner. I use Auto Magic APC's diluted to about 8:1 in a 32oz spray bottle. A very versatile product that is plenty safe for wheels.

I agree that soap, water and a soft mitt or brush should be your first choice. Use a dedicated cleaner if you need more cleaning strength. Acid-based wheel cleaners should be a last resort, same with overly hot alkaline cleaners.

What about something like the Awesome Orange stuff or Formula 409, as long as you just spray it on and rinse it right off? Because I rarely need to use soap on my car -- I only do it if I'm going to wax right afterward. And the rinsing spray alone doesn't get the dirt off the chromed wheels as well.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
What about something like the Awesome Orange stuff or Formula 409, as long as you just spray it on and rinse it right off? Because I rarely need to use soap on my car -- I only do it if I'm going to wax right afterward. And the rinsing spray alone doesn't get the dirt off the chromed wheels as well.

Those are some strong solvent cleaners.
Personally, I have messed up wheels useing those cleaners.
Junior year of High School I had my 97 BMW M3. I washed it every day
cool.gif
. I used to use Orange spray cleaners, Simple Green, ect. . . My wheels where clean, but after a while they looked dull.
shocked2.gif

Eversince then on all my cars I use a little car shampoo and hot water. Take a cotton towel and just wash the wheels like you would wash the car.
thumbsup2.gif

If you wash your own car regularly and get the wheels clean at least once, then apply some wax on them, you should be able to clean them with just some soap and water as long you have wipe them down. You should not rely on no-touch spray on cleaners since long term use may have delayed effects (dulling, etc). Most have to be rinsed well and dried to be sure to remove any residue cleaner.

Originally Posted By: MKZman
If you wash your own car regularly and get the wheels clean at least once, then apply some wax on them, you should be able to clean them with just some soap and water as long you have wipe them down. You should not rely on no-touch spray on cleaners since long term use may have delayed effects (dulling, etc). Most have to be rinsed well and dried to be sure to remove any residue cleaner.

That's just what I do. I spray the stuff on the wheels (which are chromed, remember, not just painted) and tires, then immediately rinse them thoroughly with the high-speed water spray.

After I've done rinsing, wiping, and re-rinsing the rest of the car, the first thing I do is dry each wheel with paper towels. This is not only to remove any excess cleaner, but also because I've found that if you drive any distance with wet wheels (especially if your brake pads are the high-dust type), the new black dust sticks to the wet wheels, and you have to clean them all over again.

Maybe I'll do a little wheel-waxing again this afternoon; it's been a while.

As said, doing your wheels often keeps you from having to use anything harsh.

I use a squirt of dishwashing liquid that I add to a spray bottle, and fill the rest with H2O. Not sure what that costs, but Im guessing 32ozs is less than a dime.

The wheels are partially painted and clear coated. No finish damage has developed in 3 years of use.

Last edited:
I've messed up clearcoated wheels with Simple Green. I use Zaino on my wheels and wash with regular carwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back