Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Its easy to drive in snow, and I feel like I have been lied to with the "FWD is better in snow" rhetoric.

It's [censored] perpetuated by people who have no concept of vehicle control.
We have plenty of snow since last Friday and I see front drive vehicles spinning their front tires leaving a stoplight or stop sign. My F150 spins a bit too, but I don't see that my traction is any worse, of course I have half a bed load of snow for weight.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Quickcrownvic-0-to-110-in_128071.htm

I saw that awhile ago, extremely cool crown vic.

I'm 23 and think Crown Vics are nice cars, and would own a new one anyday. Now, as for 90's crown vics... Give me a Thunderbird. 94-97 T-Bird with the 4.6 HO, I love those cars.

Originally Posted By: sifan
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/963860331.html

I am tired of those tailgaters, and thinking of buying an used Ford Crown Victoria Police interceptor. From the Internet the onwers claim these cars offer above average reliability and excellent handling due to the police package (heavy duty components and suspension). The gas mileage is very good for a V8 engine (25 MPG on highway) I have never test driven one yet, so, I do not know if the handling part is ture. I used to own a '77 Chevy Impala, which was very floaty on highway. I never felt safe driving it and donated it to the Salavation Army.

Does anyone have owned such a car and provide me your thoughts on its reliability, handling characteristics, and tips on buying one? Also, how well does it perform on rainy/icy road condition since it's rear wheel drive? I wonder how the police deal with slipery roads while driving thme.

How do cops deal with slippery road conditions? From what I've seen, they slide around just like everyone else. You always see them up here, doing power-slide U-turns through intersections...

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Crown vic's are nice, try to look for signs that it was beat to [censored] though, don't want those.

But.... I vote Lincoln Mark VIII, they are nice and will run with above mentioned Caprice LT1's.

I've owned three CVPI's and no complaints. They were all very tough cars. They handle great for such a large car, and do well in the snow with snow tires on the back. Broken exhaust manifold studs are a common problem on the newer ones, and the overdrive band can go out depending on how many WOT overdrive shifts the car had while in service.

I have owned a '95 Mark VIII as well, it ran 14.7 @ 98 MPH in the quarter mile STOCK. Luxury, speed & class is what the Mark VIII is all about, the downside is they can be quite expensive to repair and the newest one you will find is 11 years old. While they are wonderful cars, I wouldn't recommend one for a "cheap beater" due to the maintenance costs.

-Robert

I know this will probably ruffle some feathers, but I know from the mechanics on them that if you put out a Crown Vic and a newer Dodge out for duty, the cops will all dive to get in the latter. Of course, they don't have to maintain or repair them.

All the PIs that go to auction around here are pretty used up; I'm not sure that I'd want a car that has 100-150k+, with most of the running time sitting at idle. That, and all the donut crumbs everywhere. Police duty is very different from taxi and limo service.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I know this will probably ruffle some feathers, but I know from the mechanics on them that if you put out a Crown Vic and a newer Dodge out for duty, the cops will all dive to get in the latter. Of course, they don't have to maintain or repair them.

All the PIs that go to auction around here are pretty used up; I'm not sure that I'd want a car that has 100-150k+, with most of the running time sitting at idle. That, and all the donut crumbs everywhere. Police duty is very different from taxi and limo service.

Who wouldn't go for the new "cool" car? The RCMP have a few Mustang Cobras. Do you think there might be a little bit of fighting over those
wink.gif

I heard the same, initially. Then once they have to actually work in the Dodge for a while the desire factor starts to wane. It's not that the Charger is a bad vehicle, just that the CV has more room in the right places. One of the blogs followed the launch of the Dodge police package, can't remember which.

Yes. The Dodge apparently does all the right things a little better than the CV once it's moving. But many police vehicles spend most of their time not moving. That's where a larger, comfy interior becomes more valuable.

Here in the suburban regions, the local enforcers now commonly tool around in full-size SUVs, as there are not many hot pursuits on most days.

Yes. The Dodge apparently does all the right things a little better than the CV once it's moving. But many police vehicles spend most of their time not moving. That's where a larger, comfy interior becomes more valuable.

Here in the suburban regions, the local enforcers now commonly tool around in full-size SUVs, as there are not many hot pursuits on most days.

Yeah, it's a bit ironic that the Charger is a better interceptor than the Interceptor. The Illinois State Police like to use it to run down sports bikes, something they couldn't do well with the CV. I hear the look on the motorcyclists' faces is priceless when the cops run them down.

Originally Posted By: calvin1

Yeah, it's a bit ironic that the Charger is a better interceptor than the Interceptor. The Illinois State Police like to use it to run down sports bikes, something they couldn't do well with the CV. I hear the look on the motorcyclists' faces is priceless when the cops run them down.

There isn't a snowball's chance in [censored] that a Charger is running down a sport bike. Even a 600 is massively faster than those cars.

A '99 600 Ninja will run mid-10's in the quarter on stock rubber and will do 170Mph. There's no way a 12 or 13-second car is catching that. That is what the radio is for.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

There isn't a snowball's chance in [censored] that a Charger is running down a sport bike. Even a 600 is massively faster than those cars.

A '99 600 Ninja will run mid-10's in the quarter on stock rubber and will do 170Mph. There's no way a 12 or 13-second car is catching that. That is what the radio is for.

I would +1 that. It really depends on the bike though.
My buddy has a Yama R1. He beats Z06's all day.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Well, keeping it to sport bikes (which are what were mentioned), unless we are talking about a 250, I think we are pretty well covered
wink.gif

Well, keeping it to sport bikes (which are what were mentioned), unless we are talking about a 250, I think we are pretty well covered
wink.gif

Eh, all I know is what was in the paper when they first came out. It was at least 8 months ago so I can't find the article. MSP rated the Charger top speed at 145 so maybe it's not the bikes but the riders that are running out of nerve.

wink.gif

Eh, all I know is what was in the paper when they first came out. It was at least 8 months ago so I can't find the article. MSP rated the Charger top speed at 145 so maybe it's not the bikes but the riders that are running out of nerve.

It takes quite the rider to out run the police, this guy does it for fun but he also uses a much faster bike than a 600.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=z2V8vCnkJu0

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

wink.gif

It takes quite the rider to out run the police, this guy does it for fun but he also uses a much faster bike than a 600.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=z2V8vCnkJu0

I went to school with a guy who had a "600" that would do 330Km/h...... He played "get away" and won a number of times.... Of course it was no where near stock, but anyways. It can definitely be done. A bike can go a lot of places a car cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back