Percentage of synthetic oil in Motorcraft 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it stated on the MSDS? If not, does someone happen to know?

Just curious...

In my case I just happen to know a few folks at Shell and a few at Phillips 66. Some things they tell me, some things they don't.

And just for general information, I know of no synthetic blend out there that has over 20% synthetic in it whether it me Group III or PAO.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
In my case I just happen to know a few folks at Shell and a few at Phillips 66. Some things they tell me, some things they don't.

And just for general information, I know of no synthetic blend out there that has over 20% synthetic in it whether it me Group III or PAO.

I was under the impression that the PAO content of Schaeffer's 7000 Supreme Blend 5W-30 was 20%. The rest being Group 2+ and a great additive package
21.gif
. It doesn't matter, it's a great performing oil. The base oil composition does not make a great oil. The additives also constitute the making of a great oil.

Whimsey

According to Citgo, their synth blend is over 50% group 3.

They make no mention of what the other 50% is, however.

I've used motorcraft quite a bit. I think I'd rather have a Group II+ then a blend of II and a dash of III.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I was under the impression that the PAO content of Schaeffer's 7000 Supreme Blend 5W-30 was 20%. The rest being Group 2+ and a great additive package
21.gif
. It doesn't matter, it's a great performing oil. The base oil composition does not make a great oil. The additives also constitute the making of a great oil.

Whimsey

You would be correct about the Schaeffer's

Originally Posted By: JonnyHotcakes

According to Citgo, their synth blend is over 50% group 3.

They make no mention of what the other 50% is, however.

I've used motorcraft quite a bit. I think I'd rather have a Group II+ then a blend of II and a dash of III.

I really do not know anything about CITGO as most of the contact I had there have either quit or was let go and have gone to work for other oil companies. Since I have a CITGO gas card that I no longer use, I keep getting emails from some PR guy in Houston telling me how wonderful they are. I highly doubt their synthetic blend is 50% Group III.

I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 6 cylinder and I have used Motorcraft 5w-30 for the last 30k along with Purolator Premiums oversized filter. I can tell you that my truck runs the smoothest with the combination. For the first 25k I tried Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Yellow Bottle at 5k intervals. I used different filters such as WIX, Purolator PurOne and a Mobil 1. I can honestly say that the truck ran great with all combinations but the Motorcraft/Purolator has been bulletproof so far and price of oil changes are about $16. I change my air filter every other oil change and the truck is very smooth. If I didn't go with the Motorcraft I would use the Pennzoil Yellow Bottle with the Purolator Premium filter and be just as happy.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Motorcraft oils. Do you live in very dusty conditions? Changing the air filter every other oil change is a little overkill, I think.

Badlees, I apologize for that last comment. It's none of my darn business how often you change air filters. If that's what you feel comfortable with, by all means do it.

Oh, no worries, I don't mind at all. I live in Maryland and drive 100 highway miles per day for my MD/DC commute. It does get dusty and dirty in the warmer months but my goal is to keep my mpg's up and the motor clean. I didn't start changing the filter every 10k until I noticed how dirty it was getting around 10k. I guess I just got into the habbit of being on that schedule so I don't go too long.

I really do not know anything about CITGO as most of the contact I had there have either quit or was let go and have gone to work for other oil companies. Since I have a CITGO gas card that I no longer use, I keep getting emails from some PR guy in Houston telling me how wonderful they are. I highly doubt their synthetic blend is 50% Group III.

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/10002.pdf

I hope it's not inaccurate, I made a major score of it awhile ago and it's what I've been using.

Of course, I'm straying away from the topic majorly.
frown.gif
I apologize!

Kind of have to watch how they word it, "synthetic components". The pour points tell me it's not 50% Group III. Some of the additives used are considered synthetic components.

CITGO SUPERGARD SAE 5W-20 and 5W-30 are synthetic blends incorporating over 50% synthetic components and meet the performance requirements for latest gasoline-fueled engine service and display the API Certification Mark. SAE 5in industry accepted fuel economy tests.

One of the oil that I never had a chance to use is Motorcraft, because I got others for dirt cheap and Motorcraft was rarely on sale in my area.

Regarding air filter, I cleaned it every oil change by tapping lightly on hard surface then vacuum with shopvac. I don't change the air filter until about 30-40k miles.

I have about 2000 miles on the this round of MotorCraft but if it's not available at W-Mart in the big jug I will go with Pennzoil YB with a Purolator Premium. I like to switch it (oil) up once in a while! But I won't change filters :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I knew it was a pretty good oil based on the UOA's I looked at. I've been running it in my '08 Tundra, and I was just curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back