Sustained, fairly high-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, relatively, anyway. 2008 1.6L four-banger Hyundai 5-Speed, this OCI has about 6K out of 7K on PP 5W20 at Interstate speeds, 65-80 or 85. RPMs run at a steady 80ish around 4000-4400. Gold Purolator filter. Not using a drop, the oil is darker than new, not black. Is this severe service, hard on the oil, or am I not even making a dent in the ad-pack? These are trips north and south I-95, Florida to No. Va., back and forth to New England, fill the car, point it north or south, drive the gas out of it, fill it up, do it all over again. My feeling is, this usage is fine for 10,000 miles, but then I consider the RPM and wonder..

Because of the RPMs, the "physical" load on the oil is high.

However, the temperature and oil pressure are relatively stable, and you're not giving water and fuel a chance to accumulate, so the "chemical" load on the oil is low.

You're using Pennzoil Platinum, so I would think the oil would be holding up just fine. However, if you want to know whether you can push 10k mile OCIs, you definitely need a UOA or two.

This would be a very good situation for using Redline 5w20. Those rpms won't even faze Redline, but I bet that pp was running thinner because of the high heat generated, yeah seems to have performed well, but Redline is made for such situations.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Because of the RPMs, the "physical" load on the oil is high.

However, the temperature and oil pressure are relatively stable, and you're not giving water and fuel a chance to accumulate, so the "chemical" load on the oil is low.

You're using Pennzoil Platinum, so I would think the oil would be holding up just fine. However, if you want to know whether you can push 10k mile OCIs, you definitely need a UOA or two.

+1

I think the PP would hold up fine. If not, I like the Amsoil 0w-20.

I am not sure why your engine goes up to 4000+ rpm for 80s mph. My 1992 can do that at 3000 rpm or even slightly under. I am using M1 5W20 even though the car is spec for 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in summer. I take the same trip as you but usually just head South from Fredericksburg, VA to Key West, FL. You may want to check if 4000 rpm is the normal for this. A good way to do that is to take a test drive of various Hyundai as well as few cars within your group size. I don't know much, if any, about Hyundai but the Fit, Sentra, and Corolla should be on my test list to see what rpm range is appropriate for 80ish mph.

PP is a good oil. I wouldn't do 10k OCI due to your rpm range and that has to do with the fact the car is new and oil is cheap comparing to a good reliable car. 7k OCI is more appropriate and you can stick with the standard Purolator filter instead of the expensive one.

By the way, I feel a little envy for not having enough opportunity to take such long trip like you. I only go to Florida once a year in winter for 3 weeks. If you are not tight on time, Route 1 and part of 17 is a much better drive as it is very scenic than boring I-95. Also, invest in a good radar detector if you haven't already got one.

Well, this Accent is a 5 speed, and 65 is right on three thousand, and 80 is right around 4.Remember, it's only a 1.6L, DOHC, so it's meant to spin, but you're right, a UOA would be interesting to see if it's using it to a minimal TBN. Seriously, it's golden on a towel, barely dark on the stick, which is meaningless, I realize.

Being a five-speed, I stay off the side routes to Florida. I love industrial-strength Interstates. Very easy on the car (I hope), and me. One run through the gears and that's it for nearly 400 miles. Anything to play golf in the Winter, eh?

Great question here...Even my ATX Mazda3 runs at a little higher RPM than I would like due to gearing. 80 is over 3k, which makes me worry on extended trips at high speeds. I am assuming that RL holds up better due to ester quantity, as well as shear stability. I've ofen thought about RL, even at the higher price. This might push me over the edge. Thoughts?

Do a UOA after 10k miles on PP and see what you have. It shouldn't be a problem.

Stovebolt Chevy sixes with splash lubrication were sustaining 3000 rpm plus on the highway in the 1940s using the crud oil of the era. What you are doing isn't a big deal for your engine.

These trips are easy on the oil. 10k mile OCI for this vehicle with PP is fine. I suggest a UOA to sleep better at night.

Originally Posted By: toocrazy2yoo
My feeling is, this usage is fine for 10,000 miles, but then I consider the RPM and wonder..

Do a UOA just out of curiosity, but like others, I think such hwy driving is relatively easy on the engine and 10K miles should be fine.

In this application Redline is going to be a better choice by far than PP. Granted I run their 10w-40 in my turbocharged SS camaro ( its only pushing about 1,000 rwhp) it is by far the best oil i have used based on wear at tear down. The 5w-20 would serve you well. I use PP but not in a demanding application. Better to go with an overkill oil made for high revving engines.

After a while, 4,000 RPM will only be a number to you - it will seem normal.
Consider motorcycle engines, which can spin much higher when cruising, and insane when you wring it out.
I think your engine has an easy life.

I'm willing to bet that will be one clean, carbon free, happy engine with that kind of driving.

Thanks for the replies, yall. I don't know how much throttle, I guess 1/3? 1/4? Once it's at a given speed, it doesn't take much slack on the pedal. Small, and a fairly slippery design, this Accent, even at these speeds it gives me 33 without running the air conditioning, 3 or 4 more at 55 and 60. I do know that even with all the high speed running, it doesn't burn a drop of oil, but it's only got 14K on the car. It ought NOT burn oil. My instincts and reading here tell me that DOHCs, low HP apps aren't hard on the oil, but all the Interstate driving at 80ish gave me pause, I have to admit.

As for anyone that thinks I'm reckless, it's merely keeping up with traffic, I swear. N.C., S.C., Georgia and Florida all have Interstate speed limits of 70 and the cops seem to have no interest in my vehicle at 80-ish, I suppose because they bust enough peeps doing 90 and 100, which I see in great abundance on these trips.

Hey, it's a cheapy roller skate of an economy car, but for 10-grand as loaded as I need it, with the ridiculous warranty, and far superior dependability compared to my 2005, this is a steal for straight line, efficient interstate transport. Again, thanks for the replies!

accent.jpg

Originally Posted By: toocrazy2yoo
Hey, it's a cheapy roller skate of an economy car, but for 10-grand as loaded as I need it, with the ridiculous warranty, and far superior dependability compared to my 2005, this is a steal for straight line, efficient interstate transport. Again, thanks for the replies!

How's the comfort on such long distance trips and stability? I rented a Kia Spectra last year, and I don't think I'd want to do a lot of hwy driving with it. Hopefully this Accent is better, but still, I think i'd prefer something more substantial for such long trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back