Mega File Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.. So being the "Media Collector" that I am I have a bank of 8 External USB Hard drives plugged into a USB Hub and connected to my computer. The 8 drives are made up of 4 drives that have Data on them and then an identical or bigger hard drive that backs it up.

The problem is I'm quickly running out of space to store these external boxes and plugs to plug them in so I was thinking of building a cheap little server and loading it up with hard drives and just connect them to a RAID-1 (mirror) controller card.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,

I was thinking about using RAID-1 (Mirroring) but I could just use software that runs at night and makes a comparative copy of whats changed.

RAID 1 is not a backup; if you accidentally delete files you don't have the files (in 2 places lol) It protects against hardware failure, not data loss. I would stick with what you have.

Huge amounts of static data (

Last edited:
I suggest putting together a simple PC with a RAID card running Raid 5 or 6 and use an OS that is tailored to be used as a file server. Check out the NAS section of http://www.smallnetbuilder.com - particular attention to the how-to section on building your own.

Hardware based RAID is much faster than software, but if your looking to do something on the cheap, a good modern motherboard will have enough SATA connectors to support a RAID 5 array. An OS like Ubuntu Server can do software RAID 5.

freenas.org is a good choice for building a storage device; FreeBSD based, small footprint, I have it running on a 266MHz P2 with 384Mb RAM. Intuitive web interface.

I was thinking a RAID controller card that would let me hook up multiple IDE drives, or multiple controller cards. I think RAID-1 is the best choice for the redundancy and automatic copying ability. Then if a drive fails I can just pull it out, replace and fire the system back up...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Ok.. So being the "Media Collector" that I am I have a bank of 8 External USB Hard drives plugged into a USB Hub and connected to my computer. The 8 drives are made up of 4 drives that have Data on them and then an identical or bigger hard drive that backs it up.

The problem is I'm quickly running out of space to store these external boxes and plugs to plug them in so I was thinking of building a cheap little server and loading it up with hard drives and just connect them to a RAID-1 (mirror) controller card.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,

That sounds like a terrific idea. I have a box similar to that sitting here at home from which all of our media is accessed by one of the Mac or Linux boxen throughout the house. The server is mounted via SSH at boot time. I use rsync to back the server up to a large external drive, and all important stuff gets synced with an Amazon S3 account in the cloud.

On the other hand, if you want to just throw money at the problem, there's always Drobo, which seems automagic.

If your concerns about data redundancy are because you're worried about losing music and other replaceable stuff, but do not want the down time inherent in a drive failure, then RAID 1 is sufficient; but really important stuff, in my opinion at least, should always be replicated somewhere *off site*, as RAID 1 does not protect against floods, fires, power anomalies, pets and children.

I had a VPS server get wiped a few months ago. The company, in their profuse apology to their clients, explained that a malicious individual got into their main virtual machine node and wiped the data *and* the (physically connected) backups. Data recovery was impossible, as the filesystems themselves had been buggered.

I always tell people buying computers to stop thinking about the hardware as the value -- Today, these cheaply built desktops and laptops are expendable commodities... It is the *data* that we need to begin thinking of as having the value.

I looked at Drobo, but it's too expensive... I think what I will end up doing is buying/building a Cheap PC in an ATX Case that has a ton of 3.5" bays. Putting all the drives in here attached to a bunch of IDE Controller cards and then just use software to perform a backup at night of what has changed to other similar sized drives that are set to be hidden from view in the Windows Explorer...

What do you think?

What kind of ATX Case can I get for this purpose and what IDE cards could I use? (Have 8 IDE Drives to hook up)

RAID 5 uses one drive for parity. As long as only one drive fails at any time, the array can be rebuilt using the parity data. RAID 6 uses two drives for parity and can survive two failed drives. RAID 1 on four 500GB drives will give you just under 1TB of storage. The same drives on RAID 5 will give you just under 1.5TB of storage with similar protection.

I know but I would rather either trust a straight mirror of the other drive or use a file backup software to perform a copy of whats on the other drive. Just makes it way easier to pull the drive out and replace, or still be able to access the files should a drive fail without having to rebuild the array first...

I agree with s_g, how will you back it up? I suggest even more drives as JBOD to do point in time complete backups, just like tape drives so in case you do delete a file, you can easily get it back.

For a ton of drives in a RAID configuration, I suggest RAID-6, it's far more robust than RAID-5 for a host of reasons.

I use Sync Backup and it works very well right now with them as external drives...

Can you get a PCI card that has a mega amount of IDE connectors on it to connect lots of drives or would I have to buy multiples cards?

Adaptec makes SATA RAID cards. But most decent Intel-based motherboards have a ton of SATA connectors on them and will do at least RAID 0+1/RAID 1 and some do RAID 5 as well.

It's software, but if the system has decent CPU power, you aren't going to see much of a difference, especially for the type of use you have intended for it.

I'm not sure, I'd look thru the documentation to verify that. My favorite was this one:
http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=CCPR-FT100TX2

You can probably get this card on eBay for cheap...

I ran a fax server for years on a Compaq Pentium III 733mhz with 512MB of RAM running Win2003 server with this card and two identical IDE disks. And yes, I had to use USR modems as the el-cheapo modems wouldn't dial out correctly.
LOL.gif

Quote:

RAID 5 uses one drive for parity.

Actually it distributes the parity and data across all drives. You effectively "lose" 1 drive to store parity, but it isn't stored all on one drive. Minor point you probably already know, but we should strive for exactness when describing technical matters... 8)

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

RAID 5 uses one drive for parity.

Actually it distributes the parity and data across all drives. You effectively "lose" 1 drive to store parity, but it isn't stored all on one drive. Minor point you probably already know, but we should strive for exactness when describing technical matters... 8)

Yes, good idea to be clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back