Cleaning intake valves on direct injection engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that Seafoam works. What is being used besides this product? What do GM and Ford recommend? VW doesn't say what to use. Any oils that say they will reduce deposits? TIA

This is interesting.

1. Oil does not come in contact with intake valves so there is no oil that should be able to clean up intake valve deposits.

2. Fuel does not come in contact with intake valves so I can't see them building up much in the way of back-side deposits, and nothing put in the fuel will "clean up" deposits on them either.

3. The only thing the intake valves are handling is air on the stem side and then the combustion chamber on the other side. The way to get cleaner into that area would probably be SeaFoam sucked in through a vacuum line or sprayed in the air intake to clean the combustion chambers.

Other than that...I think your intake valves are more than just figuratively high and dry.

Is this engine gas or diesel? Does the injector path impinge onto the intake valve via spray pattern? Intake valve cooler than exhaust, so diffferent deposits. Exhaust baked on, harder more varnish like. Intake granular, flakey, softer probably from fuel additives. If the spray hits valve may can rinse off with something added to fuel, like seafoam, etal.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
This is interesting.

1. Oil does not come in contact with intake valves so there is no oil that should be able to clean up intake valve deposits.

2. Fuel does not come in contact with intake valves so I can't see them building up much in the way of back-side deposits, and nothing put in the fuel will "clean up" deposits on them either.

3. The only thing the intake valves are handling is air on the stem side and then the combustion chamber on the other side. The way to get cleaner into that area would probably be SeaFoam sucked in through a vacuum line or sprayed in the air intake to clean the combustion chambers.

Other than that...I think your intake valves are more than just figuratively high and dry.

There has to be oil passing down the valve stems, or the guides will wear out/stems sieze in short order. The amount might be miniscule, but over time, there will be significant migration.

Another source could be PCV, and EGR.

Depending on the exact point of injection timing, there could be some fuel reversion at various operating regimes.

As to getting rid of them ????

water rinse, or one of those other feed through additives (not for diesels 'though.

Seafoam can be added by taking off a vacuum hose and letting the seafoam move in very slowly.

EGR valves can let deposits get into the intake manifold and valves. On some diesel engines, it can be so bad, that the manifold must be removed and then cleaned.

Oil could come in contact with intake valves if the PCV system is not very well designed, or if it is not maintained.

Intake deposits are caused by EGR and crankcase breather in both petrol and diesel....but not usually a problem in diesels,so I'm picking he has direct petrol injection.I only know about the Mitsubishi GDI,and the genuine Mitsi intake cleaner works best.It's also a good idea to remove the cyl head when you do it,that stuff has to go somewhere.Oven cleaner also does the job for a better price.

In addition to the PCV and oil down the stem, there is overlap on the intake cam, and the valve gets mixture and flow on it from this situation.

Thanks for all the comments. I should have stated that the engine is the VW 2.0 liter turbo gasoline engine in my 2007 Eos. Was mainly thinking about the PCV and EGR deposits.

I have noticed that Fuel Power cleans the carbon deposits out of the tail pipes of all my vehicles. Does it do the same when recycled through the EGR?

Also, I know that BG has an intake system cleaner. I would assume that it is intended to clean the valves, as there is nothing else of importance in that path but the throttle body.

I'd bet Amsoil power foam would work better than anything else you are going to spray down the intake but I doubt anything is going to help much.

I wonder if Lube Control LC20 in the oil would help to keep oil deposits down.

If you read the lubrizol patent, it sounds almost like they are trying to add techron to the oil.

LC20 would certainly help (IMO)

I understand that RI_RS4 has had excellent intake valve deposit control results using RLI's BioSyn oil.

It's a lot tougher when there is no gas flow/wash to carry the cleaner to the parts that you want cleaned.
Get an aftermarket performance chip so they don't run so darn rich, is a help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back