royal purple oil filter who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Specs appear to be very high quality, maybe even a step or two above Mobil 1? Need to get my hands on this. Thx panthermike.

No problem. Tempted to try one myself, although that is pricey.

Originally Posted By: glenncof
I looked at them today at Pepboys. These things are the REAL deal.

Not cost wise at $14.99, but feature set.

Definitely Champ, right on the box. Pure synth media including the wire mesh backing. Box says 99% efficient, no microns (I'll email champ on betas.)

And GET THIS, base end bypass valve like MC. Shows it right on the box (except one I looked at had in the dome, the rest had base end).

Almost forgot, ADBV is Purple (I assume silicon)!

12K miles out-of-warranty.

This may be in the EaO or Stratapore class if the have the right betas.

Interesting...let's see a BOGO sale.

Yes... the M1 can with different paint, wire backed synthetic media and a purple ADBV.

Also the same dome end bypass, at least for the two that fit my applications.

rpof1qy8.jpg

rpof2kh9.jpg

The filters pictured above don't look like same mfg.

The 10-2808 bypass valve looks identical to the Purolator Prem+ in my garage.
The 10-2867 bypass valve looks like a FRAM.

Weird.

All the boxes I looked at pictured base-end bypass and said Champ as mfg.

Weird.

They look just like the Champion and Champion-made (STP, K&N) filters I have for my Impreza and my wife's Corolla.

I looked at these two filters today at pepboys. I did not realize how small they are. Maybe there is a physical limitation on using base end bypass with small filters.

Weird.

You are right, the Y stamped in the metal is different as are the mounting gaskets.

I looked at these two filters today at pepboys. I did not realize how small they are. Maybe there is a physical limitation on using base end bypass with small filters.

The smaller one (10-2867) is the same size as the Wix manufactured, Amsoil EaO13 which has the Wix base by-pass.

However, the EaO13 that I dissected did have less filter media in order to fit the Wix base by-pass (my opinion).

At least when compared to the M1-110 that I dissected (made by Champ) blue button dome by-pass, and is the the filter that I think the 10-2867 is based on.

Originally Posted By: mikered30

Weird.

You are right, the Y stamped in the metal is different as are the mounting gaskets.

Probably the same picture on all the boxes... Both of mine show the same thing, as well as saying that Champ is the mfg.

The 10-2867 by-pass is quite common in Champ manufactured filters.

I spoke with head of RP tech about these new filters today. I was dissapointed when he told me this...

"It is a licensed program with Champ Labs offered through PepBoys."

I am reading that as meaning they will only be offered through PepBoys and that is a shame. If available elsewhere they definitely could be had for less $$$. PB is very expensive as a rule. Maybe in time? Being an RP guy I would love to run their filters as well. Especially since eveything seems to indicate this is a big time premium filter that may even exceed K&N and Mobil1 which are the 2 best readily avalable filters out there.

Anyway, here is a cut open shot of the new filter( not sure what application this is - he didn't say )showing the construction from head of RP tech...

RPfiltercut.jpg

Last edited:
That stinks Royal Purple! I dont have a Schlepp Boys near me and I cant find it on their website so I cant purchase it. Wonderful.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I spoke with head of RP tech about these new filters today. I was dissapointed when he told me this...

I am reading that as meaning they will only be offered through PepBoys and that is a shame. If available elsewhere they definitely could be had for less $$$. PB is very expensive as a rule. Maybe in time? Being an RP guy I would love to run their filters as well. Especially since eveything seems to indicate this is a big time premium filter that may even exceed K&N and Mobil1 which are the 2 best readily avalable filters out there.

Anyway, here is a cut open shot of the new filter( not sure what application this is - he didn't say )showing the construction from head of RP tech...

RPfiltercut.jpg

RPfiltercut.jpg

I will stick with my Napa Golds, but this filter looks very well made.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

RPfiltercut.jpg

I will stick with my Napa Golds, but this filter looks very well made.

Media looks somewhat similar to the Donaldson and Fleetguard media.......

RPfiltercut.jpg

Looks like you could get the same thing out for the Fram Extended drain filter for half the price.

Originally Posted By: Jason8691

RPfiltercut.jpg

Looks like you could get the same thing out for the Fram Extended drain filter for half the price.

What now? The FRAM looks nothing like this inside. That media is the glass-style synthetic media used by Donaldson and Fleetguard.

Their extended drain filter has the wire backed synthetic media and a silicon ADBV, how much different do you think the RP is for almost twice the price?

Their extended drain filter has the wire backed synthetic media and a silicon ADBV, how much different do you think the RP is for almost twice the price?

The "extended Guard" ? It has a synthetic BLEND medium, just like the M1 filters do.

The Donaldson/Fleetguard filters are a 100% synthetic glass media and rated at 10-microns.

The Royal Purple filter media looks very similar.

It may look like it, but do we know for sure? A $15 filter is not easy to do with synthetic oil at $6 to $7 a quart too!

It may look like it, but do we know for sure? A $15 filter is not easy to do with synthetic oil at $6 to $7 a quart too!

Nope, I do not know that the RP media is on par with the other two I mentioned. I'm just saying it LOOKS similar to it.

It is similar in nature; going from the link:

http://www.champlabs.com/royalpurple.aspx

Quote:
100% synthetic micro-glass media

IF it is, then it's better than the FRAM.

I just use Donaldson SYNTEQ filters. Not available for many automotive applications, but arguably the best filter media available.

The Fleetguard synthetic media is VERY similar, and likely available in more applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote] Looks like you could get the same thing out for the Fram Extended drain filter for half the price. [/quote]

The Extended Guard single-pass rating is the same as the basic Fram. So the high (70%) synth blend media in EG buys you the x2 holding capacity/7000 mile rating but not better filtration.

I'm hoping the RP is rated like the EaO. I sent email to Champ asking for betas or any info. No word but they usually won't comment on spec's for branded items made for others.

If true, the RP could give you greater holding capacity and better filtration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Challenger71
That stinks Royal Purple! I dont have a Schlepp Boys near me and I cant find it on their website so I cant purchase it. Wonderful.

The filters JUST hit the stores very recently. I am sure in time they will make it onto the web site. Actually, the PepBoys I went to was actually still putting them out, with the end cap display sign, when I showed up.

Worse case if you really want to try one I can pick it up and ship to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back