Rubber drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

Changed oil in my new to me truck 1971 Ford F100,302 and found this strange looking rubber plug that no wrench would fit.It says Pozi Seal on it.Wasnt showing any sign of ever leaking but wanted to put regular plug in anyways.So made trip across town to Adavanced Auto and bought 1/2x20 magnetic plug.It slides right in the hole barely contacting threads..must have been re threaded to +2 or +3 plug size.So back in went the rubber plug and the new oil.
Hope it holds till next oil change but daylight was nearly gone.Till next time and a hand full of drain plugs.
Anyone have any horror stories of these rubber plugs?

I have never heard of a rubber plug on a oil pan. That would not sit to well with me. I would need a real drain bolt to make me comfortable.

Can you get us pics tomorrow?

The only rubber plug I can think of in that area of a vehicle is the one on a transmission bell housing that allows you access to a torque converter.

That is an "emergency" plug for stripped out drain plugs. They also sell them as freeze plug repairs.

although I don't know of one falling out I think I'd find a new drain pan.

I had one in my '71 Ford after I ham-fisted the plug and stripped the pan. I think newer vehicles are made so th plug strips instead of the pan.

The rubber plug I used, best I recall from 30 years ago, was a bulb shaped thing with a wide base. I belive you pushed a stick up into the center stretching the bulb so it would fit through the drain hole, push it in, then retract the stick.

I tried to paste a picture on here but couldnt get it to cut and paste.This particular plug looked to be quite well made had a metal insert vulcanized in to top.I know its not correct but till next time...it will have to do.

I installed a rubber plug on a stripped out pan once. It backed out some on a real hot day and leaked out most of the oil. Lesson learned; wouldn't use one again unless i needed to get to a shop for a real repair.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The only rubber plug I can think of in that area of a vehicle is the one on a transmission bell housing that allows you access to a torque converter.

The inspection plug first came to my mind, too.
He's talking about an oil pan drain bolt that has been "reengineered".

Time to shop the bone yards I think. Don't know how common '71 engines are in your area. Internet has some sites.
Here's one in northern IL - [email protected]
They helped me out with some vintage Caddy parts, good hunting.

Many years ago they made (might still make) a black rubber drain plug that looked like a nipple from a babies bottle for stripped oil pan plugs. It came with a green handle tool looked like a dull awl about 2" long. Up near the handle there were two tabs that when you pushed the pointy part of the tool into the black nipple and turned it would grab something inside the rim of the nipple allowing you to pull the plug out. You pushed this thing with the tool into the stripped oil pan drain plug hole, when you pulled it out the nipple part formed a shape like a ball sealing the hole, the thing worked too! When you plugged the tool in and pushed it it would go back to the shape of a nipple and the tabs on the handle would hold it that way so you could then drain the oil.

I had one on a 66 Falcon so the details are a little fuzzy. The plug worked for many years btw.

HTH
Frank D

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Many years ago they made (might still make) a black rubber drain plug that looked like a nipple from a babies bottle for stripped oil pan plugs. It came with a green handle tool looked like a dull awl about 2" long. Up near the handle there were two tabs that when you pushed the pointy part of the tool into the black nipple and turned it would grab something inside the rim of the nipple allowing you to pull the plug out. You pushed this thing with the tool into the stripped oil pan drain plug hole, when you pulled it out the nipple part formed a shape like a ball sealing the hole, the thing worked too! When you plugged the tool in and pushed it it would go back to the shape of a nipple and the tabs on the handle would hold it that way so you could then drain the oil.

I had one on a 66 Falcon so the details are a little fuzzy. The plug worked for many years btw.

HTH
Frank D
This sounds like the one it has a washer molded in that looks as though it takes some kind of tool.But was able to remove with a twist and reinstall.Will keep a duct tape tourniquet handy in that handy side body toolbox.Hi.
Im thinking an oversize plug possibly a quick drain and a little JB Weld will do the trick next time.

Originally Posted By: Lon

HTH
Frank D
This sounds like the one it has a washer molded in that looks as though it takes some kind of tool.But was able to remove with a twist and reinstall.Will keep a duct tape tourniquet handy in that handy side body toolbox.Hi.
Im thinking an oversize plug possibly a quick drain and a little JB Weld will do the trick next time.

Lon has explained EXACTLY what you have. They are very good, dependable, substitutions for the original plug. If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can build the removal tool he speaks of with a rounded end metal rod that you cross drill and press/hammer fit a small metal cross bar into (probably too small, but a U-joint needle bearing comes to mind. MUCH better than a cobbled up JB weld mess!

Much better quality fix would be to buy a matching 14mm tap and drain plug. The original 1/2 inch hole, after it's stripped is almost perfect to re-cut to 14mm(remember that your 13mm and 1/2 inch tools ae basically interchangable, 14mm is the obvious step up). Don't remember threads-per-mm, but the correct tap will be easy enough to choose from new drain plugs specs. 14mm drain plugs are almos as common as dirt, only thing more common is still the old 1/2X20 that was OE on your old Ford.

After removal of old rubber plug, while oil is still flowing out, run that new tap up in there, and the oil flow will both lubricate new thread cutting, but also flush cut metal shavings out as you cut. Do it 5-6 times yearly. MOSTLY for DIYers who've screwed the pooch.

Bob

That must be the plug I had. Now that you mention tapping new threads, I recall that after I stripped the pan, I tried one of those self tapping plugs that has a plug in it (plug within a plug). Well I got that self tapper in there a slight bit crooked and it was drip, drip, drip, ... So then I moved to the rubbr plug.

If there is any thread left, maybe the 14 mm will follow somewhat the old thread lines, enough to go in straight anyway. Seems a tap is easier to get straight then a self tapping plug. I probably would not try with the oil coming out--pretty messy for me anyway. But for sure dumping a few qts of cheap oil through after the tap would be wise.

strangely enough, i still have one of those rubber plugs with the green tool with all the misc nuts and screws. it works as stated above. back in the early 70' i had this mercury, got an oil change at a service station, took a trip to reno some time after the oil change. filled up in reno, they checked my oil and said i was down to about a quart. the service station must have stripped the plug.

As I said earlier it was on my 66 Falcon, probably back in the early 70's. These things were used all the time back then, I wonder why they're no longer around. It was a quick easy fix, definitely not the correct fix, but it worked. Seeing all the band-aid fixes in auto part stores it would fit right in.

Seems my memory is still pretty good. The plug worked well right up until the car got destroyed parked minding its own business in 1977. It beat drilling and tapping the oil pan at the time.

Frank D

demarpaint is right on. I am sure this is what you have. It is there because of the damaged threads.
Make sure the rubber is supple an not cracked.
If it is cold, get the plug up to temperature before installing it. At 10F it will be too stiff.

This plug does look as it has been on there for many years.The inside of the socket on exterior side of plug had been caked with many years of oil crud.Some weather checking on exterior of plug but inside business end is pristine.I did google the name on outside of plug but came up with nothing.Pozi Seal M2731 is what my macro lens shot says in picture.
If these were still available I think I would have a couple spares in the tool chest,just in case!Of course the quality would probably not be there today as it was then.Because our manufactures have outsourced everything and it now weather checks on store shelves brand new.I bought two new drainplugs for my boat last summer both fell apart when I tried to tighten them,but still had the American brand on them...china.Happened across a box at a garage sale with some oldies in it and grabbed them up for a quarter apiece.rubber still fine and real brass that was thick enough to hold a thread.Enough of that rant!
Merry Christmas!
ps Americans have just added Billions to China's GNP
Antitech,Lon

HTH
Frank D

Sorry for bringing up a two year old thread but I have good information.

Frank is correct and the rubber plug is still available today believe it or not.

I used this exact plug 30 years on my 75 Cutlass. In fact I used the same plug for years since it held so well. It never leaked and the plug never dried out or cracked. I kept the green plastic tool in my glove-box.

Years ago you were able to find this specific rubber plug in auto parts stores but I haven't seen it in stores in many years. Today they sell the other ones with the wing-nuts.

Below is the link to the rubber oil drain plug & plastic tool we're referring to. I think Sherco is one of the few online sellers.

It's the first two in the link, there's the CP1 (1/2") and CP2(5/8")

Sherco Auto Drain Plug Gasket

Gary

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back