Optima Batteries Hecho in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBS4's Rick Sallinger speaks with an employee of the Optima battery factory, located near the intersection of Interstate 70 and Airport Road.

This Thanksgiving is a tough one for 140 employees of a battery production firm in Aurora who learned this week their jobs are going to a new plant in Mexico.

For a decade Optima Batteries has produced its product in the United States, but earlier this year employees were informed a new plant was being constructed in the Mexican city of Cienega de Flores.

"When they built that plant in Mexico, what did they tell you?" CBS4's Rick Sallinger asked one employee.

"That half of the production would stay here and the other half to Mexico."

"And now it's all going to Mexico?" Rick asked. "Yeah," the employee said.

Optima workers in Aurora told CBS4 they were asked to train Mexican employees for the new facility.

The company issued a statement saying "the economy has changed dramatically over the past several months and we find ourselves in a very difficult market." Doors will close on Jan. 31.

No time is a good time to lose your job, but especially not now.

"It kind of puts a damper on it knowing in a couple months you don't have a job (and you'll be) going down to unemployment," one worker said.

A spokesperson for the city of Aurora said the timing is unfortunate and they understand the impact on the employees and their families.

The company is part of a much larger firm called Johnson Controls, which said they will provide support and placement services for the employees in Aurora who are losing their jobs.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/Optima.Batteries.aurora.2.874937.html

Yea they are way to much money$!$!$!

People can and will buy cheaper ones that work just as good. They should start making cheaper brands that the public can use.

The only people I know that use Optima are Police, offroaders, and ricers.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Yea they are way to much money$!$!$!

People can and will buy cheaper ones that work just as good. They should start making cheaper brands that the public can use.

The only people I know that use Optima are Police, offroaders, and ricers.

Ahem.....

There are a LOT of guys in the Mustang community that use them. I'm one.

But if they are moving production to Mexico and intentionally putting Americans out of jobs, I will switch to another battery that is still US made.

Is the Odyssey battery made in the states?

I first saw Costco car batteries that were made in Mexico about 2 years ago. Prior to that they were all made in the USA.

Johnson Controls makes the batteries for Costco.

I don't think the current ones even say where they're made.

The Red top ones have crummy quality as it is now. I have three that have had problems, the last one is leaking. Maybe the move will help with quality. Not happy about the jobs leaving the states though.

Optima did not want to back their battery when I called them. I said no thanks to the paltry $20 credit. I said I would not be using or recommending them to others.

I will be trying the sears AGM battery next, I hope it is made in the US?

I have read the the Sears AGM battery may possibly be a rebadged Odyssey. The design of the case/ratings are same. I want one when my OE battery gives up. REALLY expensive, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
those guys should refuse to train those Mexican guys who are taking their jobs. But I guess, they can't, they won't be able to get any public dole if they quit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I have read the the Sears AGM battery may possibly be a rebadged Odyssey. The design of the case/ratings are same. I want one when my OE battery gives up. REALLY expensive, though.

They are precisely that, we had a discussion about this not too long ago. Considering that their price for the 1500 is about 50 bucks more than the yellow top I am all in. I have good experience with Sears honoring their warranties, odyssey claims that they have merged the deep cycle and staring technologies together.

Or should I go with a Costco Kirkland, 3 year free replacement, 100 month prorated.

This happened to a friend of mine at the Timken company in Canton, OH. He had to pack up the machines that were being sent to Romania ( I think ) to have someone else do his job.

These greedy battery workers made more money than there competition and we can't have that!!!! Let's beat everyone who works for a living down to the lowest wage on the planet we can find.....

I'd guess the highly paid folks at the top would not like some of there own medicine?

The market forces companies to relocate "offshore". I work for a Tier 1 company. The automakers give us an edict to move our operations to low cost manufacturing facilities. So the company has no choice. If a company doesn't move their operations offshore, their competition will, and either way the business would be lost.

You can rant and rave all you want, but business will always seek lower costs. This will continue and we will suffer the pains until wages in America are on par with the rest of the world.

The sad part is that during this (for most of us) painful time, the business owners are reaping huge profits and milking the company all they can. Meanwhile, the wages of non-manufacturing folk (doctors, dentists, realtors, plumbers, etc.) will remain high and drain our bank accounts until they realize they have no more paying customers. Only then will they lower their rates. I call this the "lag effect" that manufacturing people must endure during this painful period.

What I can't understand is why Christmastime is the season for layoffs. Why can't the layoff season be in the summer? Not only is the weather better to enjoy the idle time and to catch up on work around the house, but more importantly it would also help with income averaging for the year for tax purposes. It's as though businees enjoys rubbing salt into the wounds!

kestas -- good post. "... we will suffer the pains until wages in america are on par with the rest of the world". and it won't be just the blue collar people in manufacturing. the people with degrees will be getting a haircut, as well. as companies downsize,merge, go offshore, or disappear, there will be fewer bean counters, engineers, and decision makers needed. as well, the unemployed white collar people will be competing with many thousands of graduates entering the work force every year. high supply, low demand -- you know the result. most will be working for less money, or they will have no jobs.

to the ones that complain of the big 3 wages, and hoping that the manufacturers go under -- your turn might be coming in the next couple of years. be careful what you wish for -- you just might get it.

the u.s. and canada are already becoming countries whose economies will be based on service industry jobs. which is fine, but our living standards will drop significantly. we're all in the same boat, and the sooner that it's realized, the better.

at any rate, i wish all a merry christmas, and happy new year. hopefully, our north american economies will be brighter by late '09. as well, a merry christmas to the brave canadian and american soldiers fighting in the middle east, and around the globe.

The upside is 150 less people wanting to jump the fence from south to north, on the other hand, how much longer before people are jumping the fence from north to south looking for work?

how many of you guys own an "American" car with OEM parts made in Mexico (GM, Ford, Chrysler)? appliances/electronics made in Mexico (GE)?

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala SS made in Canada
Also have a 2007 Lincoln MKX made in Canada
Only US car I have right now actually made in the States is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, made in Lordstown, OH.
Ross Pero was absolutely right. He said if we implemented NAFTA we would hear a "large sucking sound" as all our good manufacturing jobs leave the country!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back