best oil for go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santa is bringing my son a go kart for Christmas. It is one of those chinese models with 150cc honda clone engine. Santa has not received it yet, but I was wondering what would be the best oil to use. I was thinking someone may have a similar one. Also, how long should I run it before I change the oil for the first time, not long I would guess? I beleive the maker is Kinroad. It is a 150cc engine and it was purchased from awesomebuggy.com Hope it is o.k. to put the website in the post.

Well, I imagine that it is closer to a riding lawnmower than to a car, Air cooled and without a catalitic converter.

So I am thinking one of the Xw-40's out there that is pretty inexpensive for the first few oil changes. Im thinking after the first 5 hours, then 10 hours of running time. Maybe put a little 2 cycle oil in the gas 100:1 ratio or greater just to get everything lubed up and broken in well.

The 40's will hold up to the punishment a kid can dish out, and can be found for sale many places.

I imagine that it will be driven pretty hard, being kids and a toy and all. So after the first few changes I would go get a synthetic 5w-40 or something like it and do what ppl do to their riding lawn mowers and only change it once a year.

BTW, get some quality helmets. It is amaizing the speed at which you can get some of those things... and how far you go when you flip them and roll... and keep rolling... and you lose interest and want to stop but cant and keep rolling... down a hill and into a stream.
No childhood memories here.
thumbsup2.gif

The Chinese have a well earned reputation for not cleaning machinery before they assemble it and for using [censored] lubes. I'm not knocking your choice, I buy a fair amount of Chinese stuff and usually get my money's worth or more with a little care.

If it were mine, I would change the oil before I ran it, then get it up to operating temperature and change the oil the 2nd time at under 1 hour, then 10 hours, then go to a normal small air cooled engine oil change cycle for engines without filtration that are getting run hard. The purpose of the frequent early oil changes is to get the manufacturing swarf left in the engine out of it and any early wear-in metals that it sheds.

Unless it runs the oil very hot, there is no reason to run synthetic because with the lack of filtration you should be changing the oil frequently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vance1
Thanks for everybody for their response.

Which model cart is it?

Is it a Honda GY6 Clone engine? If so, they are as common as dirt in Chinese scooters, carts, etc. There are loads of hop up parts if you want to play with it and the Chinese clones have a decent reputation. The Honda design was good enough that it's hard to mess up.

When I get home tonight I will look up the website and let you know. The website is awesomebuggy.com and I got the explorer 150. oops, I mean Santa.

I went out and looked it up. I am excited for you.

Displacement 150cc
Horsepower ˜10 hp
Engine Type 4-stroke, single-cylinder, air-cooled (GY6)
Clutch Centrifugal
Transmission Automatic CVT (Continuously-Variable Transmission) + Reverse
Final Drive Chain-driven solid axle (single-row chain)
Starter Electric
Ignition CDI
Top Speed 25-35+ mph on level terrain, depending on weight of occupants & load

Looks cool to me.

I just finished putting the cart together today. Th only real problem I had was figuring out how the seat belts looped through the seat. I also had a problem with two holes drilled in the frame for the side roll bars. They were off by about 1/2 inch. it took a little hmm, persuasion and on the spot engineering, bu I finally got them on. It cranked no problem. Runs great. If I would have had anything like this as a kid I never would have got off of it. The manuel and the sticker on the engine stated 15w40 oil so that is what I put, delo 400 15w40. Probably will do some very short oci. It only holds .80 liters of oil. Thats just a little over half a quart. I would lik to say one thing about awesomebuggy.com, the place I bought it from. Every time I have called with a question, especially when I was putting it together I was transfered either to a technician or the owner, whom both of them knew exactly what I was describing and had no problems walking me through a step. So far I have been really pleased. Now to get my motorcycle running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back