What is the longest lasting brake fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to use a Dot 3 brake fluid because the compressibility characteristics of Dot 4 and 5.1 are different and it messes up the ABS. Wildwoods 570 racing Dot 3 brake fluid handles high temperatures, but I don't know for how long. Castrol LMA Dot 3/4 sounds good if you know what LMA means: Low Moisture Activity. I'd also like to know the specs for Autozone Super Duty Dot 3 Brake Fluid. So I want to know the DOT 3 (or compatible) brake fluid which will need to be bleed of flushed the least.

Originally Posted By: james49
What is the longest lasting brake fluid?

That would be the one labman uses.

Brake fluid, except DOT 5, is highly hygroscopic (absorbs water) and when you combine this with the high heat it has to face down at each brake, is an indicator that brake fluid should be flushed every year or two.

This is more important than the brand you choose, unless you race.

Quote:
I need to use a Dot 3 brake fluid because the compressibility characteristics of Dot 4 and 5.1 are different and it messes up the ABS.
I don't think so. DOT4, DOT4+, and DOT5.1 (identical to 4+) are all polyglycol ether fluids, as is DOT3, and fully proper for ABS systems. I use DOT4+ (DOT5.1) fluid in my family fleet that originally used DOT3 with excellent performance.

DOT5 is the silicone fluid that is more compressible as well as chemically incompatible with the other fluids.

DOT4+ and DOT5.1 fluids have the same boiling point performance as DOT5 fluid without its problems. There are slight different chemical formulations in these fluids vs. DOT3 in order to get the higher wet boiling point. In a very small number of cars this chemical change may not be compatible with the elastomers in the brake system. I've never seen that.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
are you using this vehicle on the track? normal driving? severe service? trailer towing?

Sorry about the delayed response. It is mostly used for city driving and short trips--about 7000 miles a year-- no towing. My owners manual considers city driving as sever service. I was just trying to get out of having to flush the brakes and clutch very often. I'm considering alternating ATE blue and yellow brake fluid. I understand you can wait 3 years to flush, and its easy to tell when new fluid comes out.

Thanks for the response. I will probably order some ATE tomorrow.

Just get some Valvoline DOT3/DOT4 from any auto parts store. It comes in a white bottle for $7/qt.

Don't worry about ATE, flushing it every two to three years is more important.

I'm considering alternating ATE blue and yellow brake fluid. I understand you can wait 3 years to flush, and its easy to tell when new fluid comes out.

Skip the blue, or you'll forever have traces of blue dye in your system.

One would have to be blind to be unable to distinguish when fresh fluid is flowing out of the bleeder.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

Skip the blue, or you'll forever have traces of blue dye in your system.

One would have to be blind to be unable to distinguish when
fresh fluid is flowing out of the bleeder.

Thanks for the advice about ATE blue. I think I'll either get Castrol LMA or Valvoline. I can get them in an autoparts store, and they come in small sizes. ATE just comes in liters or larger, and I can't find it except on the Internet.

Most over counter brand name brake fluids are similar, just buy the cheapest one. For Dot 3, you should flush every 3-4 years and 2-3 years for Dot 4.

Originally Posted By: labman
Prestone DOT 4 will outlast the rubber parts of the brake systems.

Sorry to hear you drive a car that has "rubber" (let's use the term loosely, shall we?) parts that last only two years or so.
wink.gif

"the compressibility characteristics of Dot 4 and 5.1 are different and it messes up the ABS"

Are you sure about that? So called "Dot 5" fluids are silicone based and have different compressibility than conventional brake fluid, but "Dot 4" should be compatible.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
"the compressibility characteristics of Dot 4 and 5.1 are different and it messes up the ABS"

Are you sure about that? So called "Dot 5" fluids are silicone based and have different compressibility than conventional brake fluid, but "Dot 4" should be compatible.

Some Dot 4 and 5.1 brake fluids meet the Dot 3 specs also and some don't. Castrol MLA and Valvoline are Dot 3/4. Valvoline has a higher dry boiling point and they both have additives to prevent moisture absorbtion. Pennzoil Super Heavy Duty Brake Fluid Dot 3/4 has higher boiling points than Valvoline. I think Valvoline is on sale at Advanaced Auto Parts.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Sorry to hear you drive a car that has "rubber" (let's use the term loosely, shall we?) parts that last only two years or so.
wink.gif

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back