Valvoline conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled this from a post within the UOA section from a conventional Valvoline UOA:

Its funny - at one point, Valvoline was accused of being 'cheap' and 'weak' b/c of their add-pack. That steretype ws fought against violently by fans of this oil, but unfortunately, it seems to be true!

Notice that this oil has a relatively low Ca content, and that is supplemented by the sodium additive. Sodium as an additive is much cheaper than Ca, so they are being cheap on that front. Also, the oil has no moly OR Boron.

Not that this is to say that this is a 'bad' oil - it does well in all analyses we see it in. But it is interesting to clearly see that Valv. is trying to wring as much profit as it can from this oil - it hardly EVER goes on sale that I see.....

Is this why conv Val is RARELY ever spoken of around here? It continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel in regard to additives?

You would think that a compan who makes a synthetic 4 times better than M1 would have a conventional oil that's equal to or better than the other brands, you think?

If Valvoline is = or > other conventional oils in UOA results, who cares what the additives are? Results matter, not just formulation, IMO.

I made that comment you quoted, and it was just an observation. I agree 100% with TallPaul, that if an oil performs, who cares what is in it. It is just interesting that Valvoline is able to do this with what looks to be an inexpensive add pack. For people, like us, who notice and comment on these things, it would not be out of line to say Valvoline conventional has a 'cheap add pack'.

I think Valvoline makes one the best conventional oils on the market.

In Valvoline's own testing, their conventional oils were the most shear stable compared to competitor's oils.

Originally Posted By: buster
I think Valvoline makes one the best conventional oils on the market.

In Valvoline's own testing, their conventional oils were the most shear stable compared to competitor's oils.

wow...not this I've never heard before...unless this is dry humor?

Quote:
About a year ago Valvoline conducted a survey of various 5W-30 conventional products on shear stability and stay-in-grade performance. We went to our local Advance Auto Parts and purchased quarts of the products listed below. We noted that each product was currently labeled with the API SM donut and carried the ILSAC GF-4 starburst. I have included the results of the ASTM D6278 Kurt Orbahn (Bosch diesel injector) test which is typically used to evaluate stay-in-grade shear performance for engine oils. The current API requirement for BOI or VGRA (baseoil interchange or viscosity grade readacross) purposes for a 5W-30 stay-in-grade limit is 8.5cSt. Any 5W-30 that shears below this viscosity does not meet this API requirement for BOI or VGRA. The 8.5cSt viscosity limit is actually below the SAE J300 lower viscosity limit of 9.3cSt. for a SAE 30 grade because the Kurt Orbahn test is more severe than the Seq VIII engine test used to evaluate shear stability when running an API oil licensing program. European ACEA requirements are more severe requiring a higher performance level and a stay-in-grade pass uses the SAE J300 viscosity lower limits. So a 5W-30 must retain a minimum of 9.3cSt after the test. Out of all the oils tested, only the Valvoline oil showed the ACEA level of stay-in-grade performance.

Product Name Valvoline Premium Conv, Castrol GTX, Havoline,Mobil Clean 5000, Quaker State, Pennzoil
SAE Grade all 5W-30
Kinematic Viscosity @40C,cSt: 60.17, 60.59, 54.90, 60.16, 62.46, 61.07
Kinematic Viscosity @100C,cSt: 10.66, 10.59, 9.71, 10.55, 10.43, 10.49

ASTM D6278 Kurt Orbahn Shear (30 pass)
Kin Vis @ 100C, cSt after Shear: 9.42, 9.04, 8.89, 8.8, 8.68, 8.63

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...233#Post1120233

But then, mechteck made the following comment:

Thank you Valvman for the test data.
I am naturally skeptical about a test done by a Mfr. that shows their own product superior.
I don't see patterns like that from the UOAs on this site.

Quote:
Is this why conv Val is RARELY ever spoken of around here?

How can I put this without seeming biased in favor of one brand over another...

Valvoline is neither extremely cheap nor high priced, so it's not going to turn heads. It's never been a "flavor-of-the-month club" oil either. What it is is a decently performing oil at a reasonable price, and it's probably always going to remain that way.

Valvoline COnventional 5w-20 still uses the high calcium add pack...Can't get a better conventional than this one.

This was actually my UOA that we were talking about. If you'll notice, the Valovoline didn't shear at all. There was another UOA from a Corolla that had the same OCI using Pennzoil YB and it sheared a bit, but had more moly and calcium. Which is better, less sheering or more additive?

Last edited:
One thing I know for sure about Valvoline is that they have a lot more rebates than other brand (excluding the store run rebates). If you catch it at the right time they can be the cheapest oil out there.

Cost doesn't always have to do with quality. SanDisk U3 drives cost a lot to make ($1 more per controller) and it perform worse than competitors. We didn't fix the performance issue until we switch to a cheaper controller and eliminated U3.

Valvoline has always my dino of choice,followed by yb,which in alot of cases would be a tie between the two.

I does meet a host of OEM spec's (including Ford's 930A for 5W20).

Approvals/Performance Levels
Viscosity Grade/Other
API SM/SL SAE 5W-20 SAE 5W-30 SAE 10W-30
ILSAC GF-4 & GF-3 SAE 5W-20 SAE 5W-30 SAE 10W-30
Energy Conserving SAE 5W-20 SAE 5W-30 SAE 10W-30
FORD WSS-M2C929-A- - - - - - - - SAE 5W-30 - - - - - - - -
FORD WSS-M2C930-ASAE 5W-20 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FORD WSS-M2C153-H SAE 5W-20 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FORD WSS-M2C914-A SAE 5W-20 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GM 6094M - - - - - - - - SAE 5W-30 SAE 10W-30
DaimlerChrysler MS-6395M SAE 5W-20 SAE 5W-30 SAE 10W-30
DaimlerChrysler MS-10797 SAE 5W-20 - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -
DaimlerChrysler MS-10796 - - - - - - - - SAE 5W-30 - - - - - - -
DaimlerChrysler MS-10798 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SAE 10W-30
Honda Feb. 2001 Spec. SAE 5W-20 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Valvoline Conventional 5W-20 also meets GM 6094M spec according to GM's spec sheet.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This was actually my UOA that we were talking about. If you'll notice, the Valovoline didn't shear at all. There was another UOA from a Corolla that had the same OCI using Pennzoil YB and it sheared a bit, but had more moly and calcium. Which is better, less sheering or more additive?

Depends on the wear metals. I'd gladly take an oil that sheared a grade, but kept wear metals better in check.

IIRC, when I first discovered BITOG back in 2003/04, Valvoline All Climate Motor Oil(SL/GF-3) was on the high side of the price scale($1.89/qt) even if it went on sale($1.59/qt). Not that it wasn't a good motor oil mide you, just that it was a bit weak in it's addative package and really didn't show anything spectacular in the UOA section(just OK!) for the money. One comment I do remember hearing was that Valvoline All Climate is no better than SuperTech(.88 cents/qt). Chevron & Havoline at that time were always on sale which total cost after rebate was about .69 cents/qt. MotorCraft at Wal*Mart was always at an everyday low price of about $1.28/qt or less.

Today, Valvoline Conventional Motor Oil(SM/GF-4) is probably as good as any oil on the shelves next to it. The prices are also so close to one another and there are still sales/rebates but, the prices of oil has jumped to nearly $4.00/qt.

Myself like others, are looking for the "Band for the Buck" motor oils. Meaning, readily available, good everyday price with occasional sales/rebates, great UOA's. To find oils that are really cheap due to closeout pricing is always a bonus. These are the types of oils that have shown to be popular here since I have discovered BITOG. The popularity of the brands change now and again but the band for the buck idea is still the same. And those who use synthetics swear by them and price is often no object. PP is a great bang for the buck in the synthetic circle rivialing synthetic motor oils costing much, much more. And it's often on sale!

Valvoline took a little hit during those SL/GF-3 days(like Pennzoil had years before) and there are many people that haven't been able to get that out of their minds. I know many people that have always used Valvoline and will always use Valvoline and have never had an engine issue and Valvoline is their oil of choice and will always be. I like and use Valvoline when I can get it at a better price than another brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back