RP 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here, I've been lurking these forums for a while and found some great info! I'm a member of jeepsunlimited.com so this isn't the first time ive been on forums. So how does royal purple 0W-40 stand up against other oils? Does it have the VII's that shear? How well does it clean? Any other recommended oils? I'm using MaxLife 10W-30 now and love it. TIA!

Royal Purple is a solid all around oil.
The price for it is a bit high. I have used and like it though.
Many people dismiss the product for its price.

Try it and see if you like it. If you like it, the price dose not matter.
I would run it with out a worry, but, The maxlife your running is quality oil with a nice price.

Trail_rated - M1 0w40 is pretty good and what I used on the ZJ. Now, I don't know if it is still readily available as the ZJ has been out of my possession for a while.

I`m running RP 20W50 and am very happy with it. Most of the true synthetics seem to be in the 8-10 dollar a quart price. I was able to get a case of RP for $6 a quart. I`ll be getting a case of Amsoil for the same price. Looks like my stash is building!

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
Trail_rated - M1 0w40 is pretty good and what I used on the ZJ. Now, I don't know if it is still readily available as the ZJ has been out of my possession for a while.

M1 0W40 I`ve noticed has been fully stocked in all of the auto parts stores I`ve been in during the M1 shortage.

I have a 'feeling' that RP 0W-40 is designed to be similar to, and will behave similarly, to M1 0W-40. It is a solid oil, but will most likely shear down to a high 30-weight under service for fuel economy reasons.

Why do I say that? Because in another thread on this oil, the poster had an e-mail from RP saying this oil was designed specifically for a auto manufacturers needs, and is not 'the norm' as far as their oils are concerned - it is oe of only 2 'SM' rated oils they make, all other are API SL, b/c RP doesn't believe in the API's limiting of anti-wear agents...

Originally Posted By: trail_rated
So RP 0W-40 is a go. Right?

I would think so... The 4.0L likes a heavy 30wt or 40wt oil. There are a few UOAs on 4.0Ls and 0w40 M1. M1 0w40 is the only 0w40 I have used and can vouch for. It performs the same way... starts at a 40wt, sheers to a heavy 30wt.

If I had to choose between the two,I`d go with RP 0W40 over M1 0W40. I ran M1 15W50 for years and switched to RP 20W50 which I prefer.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If I had to choose between the two,I`d go with RP 0W40 over M1 0W40. I ran M1 15W50 for years and switched to RP 20W50 which I prefer.

That's why the RP oil is certified by Porsche right?

Not saying it's bad oil; I love their ATF, makes FANTASTIC Ford PS fluid, but M1 0w40 is one [censored] of a good oil with an amassment of certifications and approvals as well as being a factory fill for a number of very high performance, turbocharged engines....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back