Pwcrack-aircrack malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
check this out. on my linskys WRT160N, I upgraded my encryption from WPA to WPA2 personal. what's WPA enterprise? I had Radius listed as encryption too. I filtered only mac addresses of my laptop, desktop usb G card to connect, and my work laptop that I brought home tonight to test it out. I also put my network as "not broadcasting" I think my toshiba laptop wifi card is a POS too. I triple checked the mac address of all three pcs, passwords, and settings in xp. The toshiba laptop would not connect to my network. yet my work laptop and USB G card both connected without problems. The toshiba laptop would say "automatic" but it would not tell me it was connected, and had a red x in the system tray bar. oh yeah, I had to turn off hidden broadcasting, for some reason my wifi usb G card had a hard time finding my network even when I told it the name of my network and password and "connect to this network even if it is not broadcasting" now that I have filtered mac addresses and upgraded encryption, I guess I'll let it broadcast. the packets sent and received are in the 5k range. an hour ago, it was 200k packets sent and received. within 15 minutes of me finishing all this, some dude started knocking on my apartment door at 10pm. my wife was freaked out. Since I'm playing around with my network settings, I noticed one of my unknown neighbors network went from unsecured to WPA2 also, so I'm suspicious.

Your network setting shouldn't affect your neighbor unless you clone their MAC address (then you can really screw them up).

My guess is that your PC/laptop try getting on to your neighbor's connection and they didn't like it (affect their bandwidth or ping) so they switch to WPA. Knocking on your door at 10pm? Why would they know it is you? Probably because you are too loud instead.

Toshiba doesn't make wireless chipset, it must be somebody else. Find the new driver and use an updated one, that should help your connection issue.

WPA,WPA2, non-broadcast behavior, those are the properties that truly distinguish a good router/network card from a bad one. Check online and see what other people found? It may not be you, but the router firmware or wireless card driver instead.

Cutehumor: It's possible the network card drivers in your Toshiba do not support WPA2. Is it running XP SP3? This is also a prerequisite for WPA2.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Your network setting shouldn't affect your neighbor unless you clone their MAC address (then you can really screw them up).

My guess is that your PC/laptop try getting on to your neighbor's connection and they didn't like it (affect their bandwidth or ping) so they switch to WPA. Knocking on your door at 10pm? Why would they know it is you? Probably because you are too loud instead.

Toshiba doesn't make wireless chipset, it must be somebody else. Find the new driver and use an updated one, that should help your connection issue.

WPA,WPA2, non-broadcast behavior, those are the properties that truly distinguish a good router/network card from a bad one. Check online and see what other people found? It may not be you, but the router firmware or wireless card driver instead.

I probably should change my router's name, it's my initials. plus, I'm a half Asian guy in this apartment. I'm in TN. Your either White or Black in this state. So I stick out like a sore thumb. I thought the knocking at 10pm is an errie coincidence. It snowed/iced last night, first time in years, kinda like how new orleans got snow. so it was a little freaky.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Cutehumor: It's possible the network card drivers in your Toshiba do not support WPA2. Is it running XP SP3? This is also a prerequisite for WPA2.

yep, I got XP SP3. a few months ago, I got an updated atheros driver you hooked me up with. I was able to go from WEP to WPA. the XP wireless utility sees networks with WPA and in advanced settings, you can set the network you want to connect to "to WPA2 or WPA2-PSK, AES or TKIP"

Hmmmmm, then it should work. Make sure you are using the MAC address for the wireless card, and not the one for the onboard LAN
grin2.gif

Busted, I got it working. looked in cmd, ipconfig/all. I was using MAC address for the onboard LAN and not the wireless card.
grin2.gif

I have to bump this again. Mcafee detected this pwcrack-aircrack to run again!! I have upgraded my encryption to WPA2, changed my password, and is mac controlled now. I did this over a week ago as earlier in this thread. I remarked that someone knocked on my door last saturday.

here's what it looks like. is someone trying to install this on my wireless pc? I have done multiple online scans that didn't detect this after I removed it last week. It popped up again a few minutes ago! I selected remove of course.

pwcrack.jpg

Last edited:
doing a mcafee scan with system restore off. hope to get this little bugger out of the system

last night before I went to bed, the scan came back clean. with system restore off.

System restore is a joke IMO. Useless for a big hickup on your machine. Get backup software and an external drive, and keep restore off.

This program doesn't look to be malicious; it's simply used to crack WEP keys. You can purchase it/download it from the company's website. How it got on your machine is weird though.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php

http://www.pwcrack.com/index.shtml

Maybe someone got it on your machine and it has the ability to be remotely controlled and send out cracked passwords and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back