HM oil in low mileage car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading through the various posts about high mileage oils, and it seems the main thing is that they contain "seal conditioners", right?

Is there any problem using that kind of oil in a relatively new vehicle?

Will the seals become dependent on the conditioners to stay sealed? (meaning you wouldnt be able to switch to a non-HM oil)

Thanks for any info
cheers3.gif

You should have no problem switching back and forth between HM oils, conventional, and synthetic. Run them all to your hearts content.

If your worried about it then run what your heart desires. Later down the road then go to a HM oil. I personally dont need it right now but its cheap and a very good oil.

The only high mileage oils I know anything about are Mobil 1 and Valvoline MaxLife.

Compared to their regular 10W-30, Mobil 1 10W-30 HM is actually a heavy duty oil. It has a ZDDP of 1000 compared to 800 of their regular oil. It has a HTHS of 3.66 compared to their regular oil with a HTHS of only 3.09. The 100C cSt is 11.79 compared to the regular oil with a 100C cSt of only 10. There are extra antioxidants, seal conditioners, and detergents. Because of the higher HTHS it is not rated energy conserving. Because of the extra ZDDP, it is not rated SM.

Valvoline choose to keep their synthetic MaxLife(and their semi synthetic) SM. They kept the ZDDP at the 800 level and added a healthy dose of moly(.028) Their HTHS is up to at least 3.5(A3) and their 100C cSt is 11.7. They also have the extra seal conditioners, detergents, and antioxidants. They also "HINT" at some "secret" anti-wear agent. Speculation is that it is either some form of ester or some way of keep ZDDP from depleting as quickly.

Both Mobil 1 and Valvoline stress that the seal conditioners thy used are just that, conditioners, not swell agents. Both say you can use the HM oil in a new engine, but, Mobil 1 warns that you would have a warranty problem as they rate their oils as SL. Valvoline makes a statement on their web that you can use their MaxLife in a new engine with no warranty issues.

I am inclined to think that the HM name is just a way of marketing a Heavy Duty Engine Oil without having to use HDEO in advertisements or name. Who wants to give the impression their regular oils are not that great so use this? In no way do I consider 75,000 to be high mileage.

The HM oils contain a more robust formula and spec out at the high end of the viscosity range. For example, Pennz HM in a 5w30 flavor would be close to a 10w30 from Havoline. In addition, they have the seal conditioners you mentioned. No problem running in a newer car. The HM oils, because of their more robust nature, do not qualify as "energy conserving" oils.

Ah, OK... now I'm seeing the picture on those oils.

Thanks guys, great info as always
13.gif

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Quote:
In no way do I consider 75,000 to be high mileage.

Nor do I.

I do. 75k is when a lot of wear and tear items begin to require replacement.

Anyway, you can switch between HM oils and normal oils at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back