Which brake pad: Wearever or Duralast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting the cheapest possible brakes I can get for an old beater. I usually run Bendix in my cars but I'm not putting that kind of money into this one. It's come down between the Advance Wearever and AZ Duralast. Anyone know who their manufacturer is or which one would be the better pad?

I've used Advance wearevers with good success on an old neon and an old ranger. Funny thing is, you pad slap these old beaters and the brakes are quiet, work great and are trouble free. You have a nice car and spend the extra to buy a quality pad, turn the rotors, lube the slides and the things will squeal and make all kind of noise...go figure.

Last time I asked (2 yrs.), Autozone emailed me that their pads are supplied by Morse and Satisfied, both respectable companies IMO (they save $ without big advertising costs).

Don't know if it matters to you, but I also "think" that AZ is about the only company now that warranties their pads for free lifetime replacement, even for just wearing out. I thought AA only did the lifetime warranty for defects. Please check this out yourself because it's been a few years.

I've had no problems with AZ Duralast Golds, but like dishdude said, I did have some premature wear out with "better" Raybestos. It's hit or miss, IMO.

You can get Monroe's Premium pads for less money than the Duralast or Wearever pads after rebate. I would install a set of those before I heard to "Vatozone."

LOL.gif

Well, for this car the Monroe's even with a rebate are in the thirty dollar range. The Wearever Silver and Duralast can be had for 15.00. They both offer the same one year warranty so it's really just a question of which one would be the better pad. One of them is made in Brazil and one is made in Mexico, I can't remember which.

I knew the Gold Wearevers were Wagners, and I was told the Silver Wearevers are also made by Wagner, but I find that a bit of a stretch. If the AZ's are Morse, then I may go with them as I've had good luck with Morse before. If I could verify that the Silver's are indeed Wagners than that would be my first choice though.

Personally prefer O'Reilly's Brake Best, but of your choices I'd have to go with AZ. Just stay away from their cheap line suspension stuff.

Bob

Originally Posted By: kingrob
>Duralast can be had for 15.00.
>They both offer the same one year warranty

You're looking at Valuecraft, not Duralast. That's the AZ 1-year warranty brand, that runs under $20.

Most of the Valuecraft parts are being phased out, pretty much in all categories. I'd guess by spring, there won't be much in the way of Valuecraft in the stores at all.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I use the Duralast Gold all the time.

So they really do last a long time?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I use the Duralast Gold all the time.

So they really do last a long time?
grin2.gif

More importantly, do they even stop?

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mookitty
Originally Posted By: kingrob
>Duralast can be had for 15.00.
>They both offer the same one year warranty

You're looking at Valuecraft, not Duralast. That's the AZ 1-year warranty brand, that runs under $20.

Most of the Valuecraft parts are being phased out, pretty much in all categories. I'd guess by spring, there won't be much in the way of Valuecraft in the stores at all.

You're right.

It ended up being Valuecraft front pads and Duralast rear shoes. They ended up being less than thirty dollars total.

They're quiet! Quieter than some of the premiums I get. We'll see how many miles I get out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back