Oil/Filter Recommendation for a 2005 Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a road warrior with my 2005 Matrix XR w/5spd manual and 1.8L 1ZZ motor.

It currently has 106,000 miles. Ever since after the first oil change, I have been using Mobil 1 extended life oil (5w-30) and using the M1 extended life filter. I have been changing the oil every 10,000 miles. 90% of my driving is extended highway miles ......47 miles each way. So I have felt reasonably safe going 10,000 miles with this oil filter combo. This is basicly about $40.00 to do this.

I received wonderful information in a previous post concerning my wife's camry......so, how can I possibly do this in a more budget minded manner for my Matrix? Keep in mind that I am going to drive this car until it literally falls apart so I want to get 250,000 miles or more (preferably 300,000 !
grin2.gif
) So I do not mind spending a little more on oil/filters if it will help me accomplish this, but I don't want to needlessly spend money as well. By the way, I have always used factory air filters and still change them at the recommended 30k mile intervals.

Thanks!

If it works.....don't fix it!

If you are doing 10,000 mile oil changes already you are not wasting money.

Other than doing a UOA to check and see if everything is within acceptable limits, I say keep your current program.

Pure-One, Wix or Amsoil EAO filters are the best for flow and filtering performance.

I use the Amsoil filter because it has a .15 Micron rating is good for 20,000 Miles

I too, like you am a road warrior. I average about 625 Miles per week for my job!

10.gif

like zman said, if it aint broke....

You should do a uoa to see how things are going and could possibly extend further out to 12K or more if you wanted too.

If wanted to go beyond 15K I would look into amsoil if the M1 EP is not going to give you that. But you never know.

And I agree with stevie for filter options. I personally use purolator, but currently have a M1 with my amsoil 0W20

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Pure-One, Wix or Amsoil EAO filters are the best for flow and filtering performance.

I use the Amsoil filter because it has a .15 Micron rating is good for 20,000 Miles

I too, like you am a road warrior. I average about 625 Miles per week for my job!

10.gif

StevieC, I like your signature quote: "Cutting corners will not save you in the long run" This is exactly why I am seeking the councel of others more knowing than myself concerning oil and filtration.
thankyou2.gif

Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Would the pure one filter be adequate for 10,000 OCI's?

Last edited:
For a Toyota, the Pure-One would be enough for a 10,000 miles change interval if it's a bigger size filter than the regular size of a Toyota OEM filter.

If it's the same size as the Toyota Filter it might not provide enough flow as it starts plugging up over that change interval that's why I like the Amsoil filter, they guarantee 25,000 Miles.

... BTW I like my signature too, because in Canada I find us Canadians to be so frugal sometimes (due to high taxes), that we cut corners to save a buck and then end up spending double in the long run etc.

10.gif

I would stick with what your doing. I have an 06 vibe, same engine with auto trans. do you have any oil consumption? I have zilch oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I would stick with what your doing. I have an 06 vibe, same engine with auto trans. do you have any oil consumption? I have zilch oil consumption.

very minimal consumption, maybe 1/2 qt used over the last 10,000 OCI. so far so good!

Originally Posted By: mrmatrix

very minimal consumption, maybe 1/2 qt used over the last 10,000 OCI. so far so good!
From what I understand, this engine is pretty much bullet proof, especially the lower end. I intend on finding out! I work with a guy who has an 01 corolla with over 250,000 miles. He has used supertech dino oil/filters and changed every 12-15k miles!

From what I understand, this engine is pretty much bullet proof, especially the lower end. I intend on finding out! I work with a guy who has an 01 corolla with over 250,000 miles. He has used supertech dino oil/filters and changed every 12-15k miles!

A good friend has an 07 Matrix. We started it on M1 5w-30 and he decided to use M1 filters too.

Great results so far. Im not convinced you need the EP oil, standard M1 5w-30 is fine.

As a road warrior, Id use UOA and see just how far you can safely extend OCI. Likely youre under-using your oil.

Make sure to service your transmission!

Make sure to service the Transmission with the right kind of fluid that Toyota requires... Don't just use anything in it or you could end up replacing it in the near future... Most Quick-Lube places don't understand Toyota's.

You could extend your current OCI combo out to 15k miles w/o a problem.....would save you a bit of time/money...

mrmatrix From what I understand said:
WOW! supertech oil with 12-15k oci??? his engine has 250k. Definitely all highway miles, but is that with supertech syn or supertech dino??

Originally Posted By: mrmatrix

Supertech DINO? That guy has a set of cahona's. Not a good idea, & i would bet that his motor is almost done at 250k. They are bulletproof motors though.
I know a couple of folks on tundrasolutions.com that have 450k+ on there corolla's with the original motor, trans, ect.. and no major repairs.

I'll run amsoil ASL and EAO filter in our 08 corolla for 15k miles. The first run i dropped the oil & filter at 12k. Considering switching to SSO, and going 20k miles between OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back