Why BMW N52 engine have higher oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why BMW N52 engine have higher oil consumption?I often see 0.5 L/KM.Why german cars often have higher oil consumption than Japaness cars?

As far as I know (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

The most important factor is the performance of the engine -- not just in terms of power, but in terms of how it's meant to be used.

Modern German engines, especially BMW engines, are designed to have low internal friction so that they rev freely and can be used for a long time at high output. Some aspects of this design, like the special piston rings they use, can lead to higher oil consumption.

Many Japanese engines are usually designed for milder use, so they can be designed for lower oil consumption.

However, it's interesting to note that some Japanese engines are designed for performance, similar to the German engines. Accordingly, they often have higher oil consumption. A good example is the modern generation of Nissan's VQ series.

Because Germans don't know how to make a car like the Japanese...
crackmeup2.gif
Just Kidding!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I'll second what the d00d said.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

However, it's interesting to note that some Japanese engines are designed for performance, similar to the German engines. Accordingly, they often have higher oil consumption. A good example is the modern generation of Nissan's VQ series.

Honda S2000 from 2000 to 2003 consumes more oil than other Honda, up to 1qt per 2000 miles. But from model year 2004 it consumes almost no oil.

2004 was the first year of the 2.2L engine, which has a lower redline (8,000 RPM vs. 9,000 RPM for the old 2.0L). That can make a significant difference in the kind of piston rings used.

my h22a4 in the prelude burns oil (not as bad as some I've seen on prelude forums), I burn about 0.6L-1L every 9k, i've seen people burn 0.5L in 500km lol.

BTW its a true japanese honda
wink.gif
MADE IN JAPAN!

Last edited:
Hi,
Caiwu - Some oil consumption has always been a feature of many German cars/heavy trucks - at least for the last 55 years that I know of

Most major German engine makers suggest that up to 1.5ltres per 1000km is acceptable. It all depends on the application of course

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
2004 was the first year of the 2.2L engine, which has a lower redline (8,000 RPM vs. 9,000 RPM for the old 2.0L). That can make a significant difference in the kind of piston rings used.

That, and with the increased low-end torque, it doesn't need to be pushed as hard in daily driving, further reducing consumption.

The other thing I am wondering about is differences in PCV system design between engines. Bad designs either let a large quantity of oil out, and/or trap acidic gases inside the crankcase. Good designs do neither.

I am not very familiar with BMW PCV systems. One thing my friend did tell me, those systems are so sensitive that the engine will stall if the oil cap is left off.

On all engines, but in particular on BMW's, it is very important that the PCV system is working correctly. These cars have high volumes of crankcase gas due to the design of the high performance engine.

Modern BMW's use an intricate cyclone system that is designed to separate oil droplets from the crankcase gases before returning the vapor to the intake. The oil droplets drain out the bottom of the cyclone back to the crankcase. If the drain on the cyclone plugs the oil use will be very high.

The drain is prone to plugging if you do short trips in cold weather, long OCI on dino juice or coolant is getting into the oil.

To avoid these problems ensure your PCV system is working and then use a good quality synthetic approved for use in your BMW engine such as M1 0W40 or GC 0W30.

Last edited:
I find this strange, I have a 330i (2007) E90 and have only once had to put 500ml of oil into it in 30000km. I also have a 130i (2007) and have never had to add a drop.
I do change the oil in-between the BMW services, so I run the oil about 12000km. I also run Liqui-Moly's LL04 oil.
My 2.0 TFSI uses a tiny bit of oil now and then, but nothing to get excited by.
I do however have friends with Honda Vtecs that consume a fair amount of oil, they do drive hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back