Canadian Motorcraft 5W-20: semi-syn. or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to find out if the Motorcraft 5W-20 sold through Canadian Ford dealers is semi-synthetic or not. I want to know what's going into my new Mustang GT, which is bought and special-ordered.

The Canadian bottle doesn't tell you -- it just says Motorcraft Super Premium, unlike the US bottles that have semi-synthetic clearly marked. Local dealers can't tell me and have no printed information. Ford (Cdn) customer service "800" number had no idea and directed me back to my dealer. Anybody know?

Take a look at the molding logo on the bottom of the bottle. If it is the "box G" of Graham Packaging, or if the bottle has any Made in USA references, more than likely it is the Conoco GRP II/III blend distributed in the states.

This Thread indicates that Esso will begin private labeling Motorcraft oil in Canada, but we haven't had verification of this report.

Don't get too hung up on having "synthetic blend" appear on the label. All the 5W-20 formulations require higher VI index base oils, due to volatility reasons, than say a 10W-30, which may still contain some GRP I for GF-4.

To me it's all the same, a Pennzoil 5W-20 with 118 VI GRP II+ base oils or Motorcraft/Conoco 5W-20 with a blend of 125 VI GRP III and 108 VI GRP II base oils.

Well, Blue99, I am hung up on the semi-synthetic part and I won't have it any other way. Quaker State 5W-20 here in Canada makes no mention of semi-synthetic, but other brands do. I couldn't find a VOA on Canadian Motorcraft 5W-20, but I don't think that would even tell me.

So, my question stands: semi-syn or not in Canada. Someone in Canada, at Ford or a supplier, must know what goes in those bottles.

Shifter, I talked to my Esso Bulk agent a couple months ago. I was in search of XD3 oil sold separately rather than in flats of twelve. He told me Ford CANADA just made a deal with Esso to have MotorCraft CANADA filled with XD3 oil in the diesel grades for sure, he told me if I bought Motorcraft at the local Ford dealership it would be Esso oil.

Now on my XD3 spec sheet Esso does not make 5-20 but Esso does in the 5-30 dino. I believe Esso Ultra makes a semi syn, that may be Ford Canada Motorcraft oil now. Ford and Esso I believe have a deal by sound of Agent. I am not familiar with the weights on Esso Ultra, I have never used Esso Ultra. A couple months ago Ford Canada and Esso Canada were in process or just converted Motorcraft Canada oil to Esso according to the Esso Bulk Agent.

0-30 XD3 CI-4/SL for $3.71 litre for a 100% POA syn oil is as good as it gets for engine protection IMO. I will use it in my new Nissan motor after dino breakin on dino XD3 5-30, I have used it in past on newer Nissan motors. This is a great syn oil IMO.

Cyprs

Well, thanks for the replies, but my question is still unanswered and I'm not sticking this Canadian mystery oil in my new Mustang.

I was in South Bend, Indiana, two weekends ago for a wedding at Notre Dame, so I bought two six-packs of US Motorcraft 5W-20 from a local dealer, clearly marked "Premium Semi-Synthetic Blend". I'll change my own oil and filter.

Canadian Ford dealers just lost me as a maintenance customer because of their inadequate labelling (if that's all it is) and for their pathetic responses to my questions.

Bump to the top for LAST CALL.

I can't believe nobody knows whether Motorcraft 5W-20 sold through Canadian Ford dealers is semi-synthetic or not.

Anybody from Ford of Canada monitoring this board? Somebody is supplying the product and must know.

I'll be doing the first oil and filter change at about 600 km next weekend, using the 5-20 I bought from a US Ford dealer.

Thanks to those who replied so far.

Shifter,

Do you actually understand what the term "semi-synthetic blend" on the Motorcraft label means?

Why is the presence of low cost, Korean Grp III base oil, so important to you?

I believe Shifter does understand the terminology. I believe Shifter made quite clear in his post about what information he wants. What part of Shifter's inquiry don't you understand, Blue99?

Oh, I think Shifter’s question is quite clear. And I have no problem with anyone who wants to embark on a quest for what is perceived to be a better motor oil.

My impression is that Shifter has somehow decided that the ConocoPhillips version of Motorcraft, with Syn Blend on the label, meets more of the Ford WSS-M2C930-A spec for a 5W-20 than the Canadian equivalent.

So, Ray, why don’t you step into Shifter’s shoes & explain to me the following:

What is the distinct advantage generated by the ConocoPhillips MC version of 5W-20, with “Synthetic Blend” on the label, over a typical Grp II+/II 5W-20 formulation?

Compare:

ConocoPhillips 5w-20 - 123 VI index Grp III and 95 VI index Grp II.

Pennzoil 5W-20 which - 118 VI index Grp II+ and 102 VI index Grp II.

When viewing the blend of base oils, it certainly looks like a wash to me!

My opinion is that, in general, a stronger base oil stock (Group III) requires less VII and anti-oxidant content in the additive package. Base oil provides the bulk of lubrication and heat transfer capability. "Catch-up" chemistry to compensate for lower quality base oils' lower VI and lower oxidation stability do not. (though the line separating Group III from Group II+ is nebulous) In other words, if given a choice in formulation ingredients, I's a gonna personally prefer a stronger base oil stock in a given price range. You listed a specific comparison, though, and, I agree, it looks like a wash - until selling price is factored in. In my opinion, shifter might take a closer look at the various ConocoPhillips brands of Group III "synthetic blends", including TropArtic 5W-20 Synthetic Blend, for his new ride if they're available in Canada. While they may not be identical to the ConocoPhillips-made Motorcraft 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend, I'm betting they're pretty darned close. I'm not convinced yet that CP didn't slightly dumb-down the Motorcraft oils' content differences when compared to CP's own SM brands when introduced late last year, either. (It just seems incomprehensible to me that ConocoPhillips would maintain different blending lines for identical API designation and Ford spec'd "synthetic blend" finished motor oils. GOTTA see some recent SM CP-brand UOAs to compare with recent SM Motorcraft UOAs!)

All good points, reflects a very common sense type of approach to the subject.

I used Pennzoil as an example for a reason, and that's because it is formulated from Motiva base oils that are produced using the same ExxonMobil catalyst that the S-Oils Grp III's are produced from.

See the Lube Reports Article

What's also interesting is that Motiva has the Texhvi 100 and Texhvi 7 products in it's Grp II+ lineup that typically run up to 125 VI.

See the Motiva TEXHVI Product Spec's and skip to the 2nd table, which lists the typical batch properties.

So Motiva base oils are out on the marketplace, that technically qualify as Grp III, but I'll wager that the blender's purchasing this product aren't slapping the "syn blend" label on the bottle!

Shifter,

5W20 in Canada is made by Esso - look at one of the Motorcraft bottles, on the bottom. you will see 3 stars moulded in the plastic. Esso packages all of thier oil with bottles having this mark(Esso, MC, President's choice).

You can buy this oil at an Esso bulk dealer for $3.09 per litre (Esso Extra 5W20). It IS semi-syn - they cannot meet the 5W20 spec w/o a semi-syn. That's why it is 35% more expensive than 5W30.

You could buy and use XD3 0W-30 from Esso, a fully synthetic very good oil. BUT, it is not a 5W20 and if you have engine probs under warranty, you may be in trouble with Ford, if they ask. Also, XD3 is SL rated, not SM, which your warranty may call for.

I'd stick with the Ford oil, or the (same, but less expensive) Esso Extra 5W20. These are really good oils and you will be fine. I use the Esso Extra 5W20 in my Ford during summer and the XD3 0W30 during winter.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks, PFP. That's good information that it's made by ESSO. I'll look at a Cdn bottle for the three stars, then I'll check out the ESSO formulation from the distributor in town.

To Ray H: We don't get the ConocoPhillips family of oils around Ottawa, Ontario (Conoco Super All Season, Phillips 66 Trop Artic, 76 Super Synthetic Blend); we might get Kendall GT-1, though I haven't found it locally. That's why I'm so insistent on putting in the best I can get for this sweet 300-hp engine, while keeping warranty protection and holding off a while on full synthetic 5W-20. She gets her first oil-and-filter change at 600 km (400 miles) this weekend.

Thank you, all.

Shifter

[ June 16, 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Shifter ]

Thanks for that last batch of replies and sorry for the delay in saying "thank you".

To put a wrap to this thread, I never did find out the answer to my question but I do appreciate the advice received. ConocoPhillips's information service tried to get a Cdn Motorcraft knowledgeable person to contact me with the information, but nobody ever did. CP was otherwise very helpful, by the way, and returned e-mails promptly.

I did my first oil and filter change in my drive with the ODO reading 841 km (525 miles) using my US Motorcraft 5W-20 and a factory FL-820S filter. I felt good when doing it and, I must say, that 300-hp 4.6 is as beautiful to look at from the bottom as it is from the top.

Again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back