Tranny Fluid change on sealed unit-2006 Cobalt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never owned a car without a transmission dipstick for adding /checking fluid. Does anyone have experience with this transmission? It is on a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, automatic transmission is "lifetime filled". Well I normally drop the pan on my cars at 30,000mi, and refill with Amsoil ATF with a new filter. Is this overkill for these cars, and can anyone do it besides the dealer? Thanks in advance for any info!

There's a check level plug on the lower right side, right near the passenger tire. Takes a 7/16" box wrench IIR.

It has to be checked on a level surface, with the engine running and everything up to temp.

BTW if you pull the check level plug with the engine off you'll lose a couple qts. of fluid.

I'm not sure if 2006 is the first year of Dexron VI or not. If it is you could probably wait until 45,000 like I did on my Malibu.

Even if it was still the old Dexron, I would be tempted to put Dexron VI in. I noticed it seems to have far superior lubrication qualities to many other ATFs I've seen.

Drop the pan and change the fluid/filter every 50K regardless of what the manual says. Dexron VI is a huge step forward from previous ratings. I'd stick with it over Amsoil's ATF. GMs 4 speed tranny used in your car (Cavalier, Cobalt, etc, etc) is near bulletproof with regular fluid changes. So is the Ecotec motor.

It's messy, but easy to do yourself. Any reputable transmission shop can do it too, usually cheaper than the dealer will.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
I'm not sure if 2006 is the first year of Dexron VI or not. If it is you could probably wait until 45,000 like I did on my Malibu.

Even if it was still the old Dexron, I would be tempted to put Dexron VI in. I noticed it seems to have far superior lubrication qualities to many other ATFs I've seen.

Somewhere in early 2006 they started using VI. Don't know the specific cutoff dates. It is backwards compatible to previous Dexron ratings.

cmhj, is the check level plug where you add the new fluid also, or is there a fill plug somewhere else? Also about how much do you lose when you drop the pan. I guess I can just measure it out when I drop the pan and replace the filter.
Thanks to all for the great info. I will take everyones advice and stick with the GM VI fluid.

It is still a dirty trick pulled by the Mfr..
Things like this could make a company eventually get into trouble with sales, or go out of business.

There's a few posts floating around in regards to a DIY 4T45E service. Here's a mock up I did a few years ago:

074T45MN5LoR.jpg

Joel

2006 is when they switched to Dexron-VI. Use the approved Dexron-VI fluid.

Also, the fluid level check only works if the transmission fluid is in the correct temperature range. If you pull the check plug when the transmission is not in the correct temperature range, the level will not be correct. You need either a scan tool or perhaps an infrared thermometer to verify the fluid temperature.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
If the bottom of the pan is barely hot enough to be uncomfortable, it's in the right temperature range--120F as I recall.

Yep. That's correct. The trans just needs to be at normal operating temp. No magical tools needed. You also have to remember to check level with the engine idling, with the vehicle on a level surface. Reaching that bolt without the vehicle in the air is not so easy. Basically if you add the same amount of ATF you took out, you're good to go.

Joel

Thanks a lot Joel! A picture is worth a thousand words. I just turned 30,000 miles, so think I will wait till 45,000-50,000 miles then change it out. Thanks again for the great info.
Pete

What a pain. So you basically need to have the vehicle on a hoist to be able to comfortably CHECK the transmission fluid?

Now that I think about it the Isuzu Troopers were the same way - no dipstick. The fill plug on those was on the BOTTOM of the drain pan, had to perform 3 types of magic to refill it.

At least these trannys have a top mounted fill plug.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
What a pain. So you basically need to have the vehicle on a hoist to be able to comfortably CHECK the transmission fluid?

Now that I think about it the Isuzu Troopers were the same way...

What a gluten for punishment I must be. I owned a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo with the 4L30E nightmare ATF check/fill/drain setup (and helped service a same setup Trooper and another Rodeo), now I own a Cobalt! At least with the Isuzus, you could crawl under a level vehicle. You had to fill the 4L30E up through a downward facing plug on the pan. I'm not really sure I could even reach the level check plug on my Cobalt with 4 wheels on the ground. If I ever drain it, I'll just add the amount that came out.

Joel

I can reach the level check plug on the Malibu Classic with 4 wheels on the ground. I can also reach the oil drain plug on that car without jacking it up, and in fact I never jack it up to change the oil.

Yeah that's true. I can drain the engine oil from my Cobalt without lifting it as well. You just need a low height catch pan. I'm not positive about being able to get at the ATF check plug. Never touched it as I'm only at 25Kmi on my 2007 Cobalt.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back