marvel mystery oil add to engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO the days when MMO was a good idea ended in the 1990's. If you are driving anything made since....ummm...1995, don't use it in the oil at all. MMO is still a great fuel system cleaner, but don't put it in the oil. I know that old habits are hard to break, but it IS the 21st century now, and we all have to adjust. The cheapest 10W30 you can buy today is a better oil than the best you could buy in 1995.

Do not use in engine oil for any reason under any circumstance. It will not help anything. there... I said it...

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
If you need to add MMO, you are using the wrong oil.

But it's not a bad product. Just not needed so much anymore.

I used it for many years, in both the gas and oil. Many years ago I would run it for the entire OCI, but stopped doing that. Recently I was running 1/2 qt of it for about 500-750 miles before changing my oil. I stopped that when I started using A-Rx. As far as I know the MMO didn't do any harm at all. I still use it in the gas.

If you have valve or lifter problems it works well, but doesn't have to be used for an entire OCI.

Frank D

That brings back memories..... many moons ago when I was a young man and dinosaurs roamed the earth.... we used that stuff at the local Yamaha shop. It was 20 miles to the nearest town. Occasionally, a customer would take a new bike and have it lock up ten miles down the highway. Was fine after it cooled off. We were told that the "tolerances" were tight and that the aluminum piston expanded faster than the cylinder. A very good salesman came in one day with this Marvel Mystery oil. The boss bought some and we started putting it in every gas tank of every new bike. No more problems after that.

So, they're still making that stuff?

A quart of MMO in 10w30 would not hurt for winter, only would want to boost zddp as prob not have much if any zddp in MMO.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
A quart of MMO in 10w30 would not hurt for winter, only would want to boost zddp as prob not have much if any zddp in MMO.

That's what I just did in one of my Jeeps. I only had 1 1/2 qts of left over 5W30 and I used almost a quart of MMO and 3 1/2 qts of SuperTech 10W30. I wouldn't run it every oil change, but it will certainly clean out my lifters and ring packs and is perfectly fine for a winter run. I used a nice orange can of death in the PH3985 flavor too. I also like to add MMO to my fuel, especially my old 6.2L diesel.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: TallPaul

That's what I just did in one of my Jeeps. I only had 1 1/2 qts of left over 5W30 and I used almost a quart of MMO and 3 1/2 qts of SuperTech 10W30. I wouldn't run it every oil change, but it will certainly clean out my lifters and ring packs and is perfectly fine for a winter run. I used a nice orange can of death in the PH3985 flavor too. I also like to add MMO to my fuel, especially my old 6.2L diesel.

Keep in mind that MMO will color diesel fuel to the point it could be confused with Red Off Road Diesel Fuel and that could cause you big fines if the DOT checked your fuel.

Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule
Keep in mind that MMO will color diesel fuel to the point it could be confused with Red Off Road Diesel Fuel and that could cause you big fines if the DOT checked your fuel.

Thanks for the concern but I'm not worried. It's an '83 Chevy C10 8' stake bed with pass. plates. Besides, I keep the bottle in the truck. I'd have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than pulled over by DOT.

I think about the best fuel additive is 2-cycle engine oil, about 1 oz per 4 gallons of gasoline. I have been using it since last April.

Originally Posted By: bigsteve
Does 1 quart of mmo added to 10w30 engine oil change the viscosity numbers?

Yikes. You do realize that the contents of MMO are intentionally removed during the refining process to make motor oil don't you? Why do you want to intentionally put contaminants back into your engine?

MMO is also not additized for use in an engine.

I run MMO in the fuel regularly, 3oz. to 10 gallons. This fixed an issue with the fuel gauge taking forever to read full on the dash. I would fill up, and the gauge would take an hour to register full. Now, with MMO, it is instant. I do know of one gentleman that had a Chevy Chevette diesel. He swore by Pennz YB, and 1 quart of MMO with each oil change. That little car literally rusted out around the motor, but it ran 310,000 miles on the brew before it did.

Their instructions still say can be used in gas or oil. 1 qt of MMO can be substituted for 1 qt of engine oil (5 qt sumps, use 4 qts oil, and 1 qt MMO). Its been used this way for decades without issues, with many, many satisfied customers.

No flame on new technology, I recently made the change, but MMO still works too.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back