Reusing filter gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to reuse filter gaskets? The Purolators gasket are made out of silicone so they might be safe to reuse on a wix or supertech filter.

How about in an emergency. I usually save the gasket from each previous oil change, just in case I forgot to check if the new filter has it. I realize I will never end up using it, but it is one of those just in case kind of things.

No when you buy the filter, check to see if a gasket is there. If not, don't buy it.

I would NOT reuse a gasket. ANY gasket for a filter.

bill

Every gasket I have ever pulled off a used filter looks to be in very good shape. Consider if a filter was pulled at say 3000 miles, drained and reinstalled for another 3000 miles. You would be using a used gasket. I don't see where there would be any harm, provided you inspect the gasket carefully.

If I take my oil filter off, I am replacing it with a new one, with a new gasket.

If for some crazy reason where I had to change my filter, and the only new one in the whole city did not have a gasket, then i would reuse the old gasket if it looked good. Not out of desire, but out of need.

I'd use one in an emergency if I had a good quality one. There is a lot oa trash out there and some might not take the torque the second time around without deforming.

Well, I've never had cause to reuse a filter gasket. But I do have a few Ford oil coolers without gaskets...hmmm.. I wonder. It would be a shame to throw away a perfectly good filter just to get the gasket.

I think that I'll be terribly conflicted over this matter.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
... But I do have a few Ford oil coolers without gaskets....
Strange they did not come with gaskets. If you bought them used the previous owner maybe tossed the gaskets after he took them off his car. He apparently didn't know the gaskets were re-useable.

Yes, they were most likely salvage. Some were unused, so I have to conclude that they were either NOS that someone stole a gasket out of (for whatever reason) or someone never installed it ..and lost the gasket while sitting on it.

I never reused a filter, and always changed them with the oil. I would love to try a filter for 2 OCI's but can't bring myself to leaving almost a qt of dirty oil in the engine and then filling the pan with fresh oil. Now if I could safely remove and drain the filter then reuse it I would. Shame they don't sell replacement gaskets.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Now if I could safely remove and drain the filter then reuse it I would.
Oh I think you are quite safe. Filter gaskets seem to be manufactured to overkill standards. The are pretty tough. Now if you can gently wedge open the antidrainback valve at one of the holes, a lot more used oil will come out. Need to do it hot to get most oil out. If one wanted to be anal, they could refill the filter with fresh oil, plug the hole, and shake it up good, then re-drain it, but I don't recommend going to that length.

I have pulled, drained, and re-installed filters before, so I guess that makes me a used gasket user. Last time I re-used a filter, I just drained the oil, then started the engine to hopefully push some of the oil out of the filter, then refilled. By the refill amound, I didn't get more than half the oil out of the filter. Still, leaving the used oil in the filter would represent about 800 miles of a 5000 mile OCI, so you're still getting cleaner oil than you have most of a normal OCI.

Hey, Idea. Don't they sell pool filter gaskets separately? I wonder if one could use a pool filter gasket for an oil filter. If it was the right size, it might work. Also pool filters should be able to take some heat as many people heat their pools.

Quote:
Hey, Idea. Don't they sell pool filter gaskets separately? I wonder if one could use a pool filter gasket for an oil filter. If it was the right size, it might work. Also pool filters should be able to take some heat as many people heat their pools.

I believe that you're correct, TallPaul. This might be something to explore here. I mean, if it's a perfectly good gasket, why send it to the landfill?

Well, given TallPaul's comments about pool filter gaskets, I can see how this would be a sensible swap.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Now if I could safely remove and drain the filter then reuse it I would.
Oh I think you are quite safe. Filter gaskets seem to be manufactured to overkill standards. The are pretty tough. Now if you can gently wedge open the antidrainback valve at one of the holes, a lot more used oil will come out. Need to do it hot to get most oil out. If one wanted to be anal, they could refill the filter with fresh oil, plug the hole, and shake it up good, then re-drain it, but I don't recommend going to that length.

I have pulled, drained, and re-installed filters before, so I guess that makes me a used gasket user. Last time I re-used a filter, I just drained the oil, then started the engine to hopefully push some of the oil out of the filter, then refilled. By the refill amound, I didn't get more than half the oil out of the filter. Still, leaving the used oil in the filter would represent about 800 miles of a 5000 mile OCI, so you're still getting cleaner oil than you have most of a normal OCI.

I'd be happy just standing the filter so it could drain, for say an hour, then reinstall it. I just changed oil today on my van and had a good look at the gasket on the old filter. It was perfect with no indentations, I'm willing to bet the filter could have been used again. I tossed it, because it was on for 1 year and lots of stop and go this time around.

Frank D

Another thought is when you re-use the gasket pull it off and flip it over--kind of like when we were young and stayed out all night and had to reverse the 'wares in the morning--but that would give a fresh surface for the mating contact.

Good point ..and the prelubed used side would make it easier to remove for implantation in a third usage. From there on out it wouldn't matter. Perhaps a jar collection of the unused new gaskets might be an addition to the shelf items like hose clamps and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back