2005 Audi A4 2.0T oil requirements:

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what the 2005 manual for the new Audi A4 (B7 platform) says about oil requirements:

- "The proper viscosity grade for your engine depends on climactic [sic -- nice Freudian translating, Audi!
tongue.gif
] or seasonal conditions where you drive. You can use viscosity grade 5W-40 across all temperature ranges for normal driving conditions."

- 5W-30 or 0W-40 may be used as long as they meet VW 502.00, if 5W-40 is not available.

- "Only if the level of the oil is at or below the minimum mark on the oil dipstick - and no oil conforms to Audi oil standard VW 502.00 specifications is available - may you top off with a high quality engine oil, preferably synthetic-based, that meets ACEA A3, A5, B5, API SL or ILSAC GF-3 specifications, but even then only in the viscosity grades 5W-40. 5W-30, or 0W-40. However, between oil change intervals, never top off with more trhan 0.5 qt/liter engine oil that does not meet VW 502.00.

The manual also mentions that the car is equipped with an oil level sensor.

PS: There is no oil chart or ambient temperature/viscosity chart anymore.

I am assuming this is the same 2.0T that is being used in the MKV GTI (not yet in the states) and the upcoming Jetta GLI. Glad to see VW actually responding to the sludge problem on the new engine.

The funny part is this is not a descendent of the 1.8T. It is actually a descendent of the ancient 2.0 8V.
grin.gif

My owners manual for my 2001 TTQR225 says basically the same thing. "5w-40 recommended for all climates". So, that is what I use. Mobil1 T&S 5w-40 is what I use specifically. I have had nothing but good things to say about it. The car seems to like it so I am happy.
cool.gif

Well, they don't mention 0w-30 grade, so that would leave the GC out, but then, I thought the car comes with SLX 0w-30 from the factory.

Mori, does it say what oil grade was put in at the factory? In my '01 manual it says the car came with 0w-30 from the factory. Of course, it's not a 2.0T.

I still think GC would meet warranty requirements, since it is a 30w oil & VW 502.00 approved. I think they don't mention 0w30, since GC is the only 0w30 oil in America that meets VW 502.00 & we all know how "hard" it is to find GC.

Hey Pete, the above info is from Jestnomen's (AW) new manual. Isn't it odd that they left out 0W-30? OW-30 is an approved viscosity for the VW 502 spec (It's not approved for the older VW 500, though)! I asked Jestnomen about any stickers or tags under the hood that might reveal the factory fill, but there's only a little sticker in the engine bay that says to fill with VW 502 00.

Pete do, you know if the Euro version is equipped for WIV?

WIV= Wechsel-Intervall-Verlängerung. It's the Audi/VW term for cars equipped for Long Life Service (extended service interval). It requires the flexible service interval display that can be programmed according to specific paramaters that describe the type service the vehicle sees. WIV includes such features as long life belts, spark plugs, fluids and filters.

PS: Castrol SLX III is out in Europe. It meets the new low SAPS specs VW 504.00/VW 507.00 and ACEA C3

quote:

Originally posted by pezzy669:
I am assuming this is the same 2.0T that is being used in the MKV GTI (not yet in the states) and the upcoming Jetta GLI.

Don't forget this new direct injection 2.0T also coming out in the new PQ46 "B6" Passat(9/05).

-

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Well, they don't mention 0w-30 grade, so that would leave the GC out, but then, I thought the car comes with SLX 0w-30 from the factory.

Mori, does it say what oil grade was put in at the factory? In my '01 manual it says the car came with 0w-30 from the factory. Of course, it's not a 2.0T.

My 2004 2.7T manual says, "The engine oil which was first put into your engine has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-30. You can use this oil over all temperature ranges for normal driving. If engine oil viscosity grade SAE 0W-30 is not available you can also use SAE 5W-30 or SAE 5W-40." and "The following must appear singly or in combination with other designations...API Service SJ...ACEA A2 or ACEA A3." It also states you can use any high quality petroleum or synthetic based oil with correct specs. No mention of the VW 5XX specs.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
PS: Castrol SLX III is out in Europe. It meets the new low SAPS specs VW 504.00/VW 507.00 and ACEA C3

Ah yeah, you're talking about SLX Longlife III 5w-30, that thin version of SLX used in cars with variable service intervals.

BTW, sorry, I don't know if the euro version is equipped for WIV.

The VW 502.00 spec supersedes the SAE grade...it's just that it's easier to find 40wt oils that meet VW specs,due to the HT/HS minimum of 3.5 Cp @ 150C. In order to meet this using a 30wt basestock, you have to formulate up near the spec limit of 12.5 Cst. This is why the Amsoil 30wt oils and the GC,0w-30 are formulated @ approx 12.0 Cst @ 100C.

All things being equal, a VW 502.00 quality, 0w-30 will have less polymeric thickener and be more shear stable than an SAE 0w-40. So it would be preferred for any turbocharged application. By default any SAE 0w-40 will have a HT/HS of at least 3.5 Cp, but that's not true for many of the SAE 0w-30 oils over in Europe, which have gone the low vis, A5/B5 route.

Audi/VW allows the use of an SAE 5w-30 since these tend to be more shear stable than the average 0w-30 (as would a 10w-30). When you are formulating down near the minimum spec limit of 3.5 Cp, this becomes a consideration....

There would be no problem running a 10w-30 or 10w-40 full synthetic year round in any of these engines as well. All you'd lose would be about 0.5%-1.0% in terms of fuel efficiency....

I've recently studied all these new VW/Audi engines in depth, in order to anticipate questions about the best products to use in them.
smile.gif

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I've recently studied all these new VW/Audi engines in depth, in order to anticipate questions about the best products to use in them.
smile.gif

Tooslick

Ted,

If you would just switch to The Elixer of Life, Love, Truth, Happiness and Former Amsoil Admirers you wouldn't have to do so much studying and you could get out more.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back