Oil production peaked in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I Think the original idea was lets use all the oil in the middle East first, then tap into our own supplies. Problem is China is already looking into Canada. Everybody thinks oil isnt worth fighting over, that I believe is a nice sediment, but could not be further from the truth. Wars were fought over alot less, and China is not about to cut industry and I dont think the U.S is going to change our way of life anytime soon and Russia is not going to let us expand any more in the middle East,I think Iran being the next conquest, so Id say the next 5 to 10 years (if not sooner) are going to be interesting, to say the least.

So you do believe in peak oil, but don't believe we're close to the peak yet?

Military power depends on oil, so unless the world's leaders decide they don't care about their own military power and its relation to that of other nations, I believe we are indeed headed toward some worldwide drama.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Peak oil would be the best propaganda that oil companies could ever spread and only a idiot would believe it.

You could be right; it's only a theory! But why is there so much interest in middle east oil if U.S. oil production didn't actually peak in 1970? Why doesn't the U.S. use its own oil instead?

Environmentalist wackos.

'Extracting oil from the tar sands of Canada '
Just for your information we're importing a couple of MILLION barrels per day of Canadian tar sands oil and the break even for extracting it is between $50 and $60 per barrel oil price .

Originally Posted By: bruno
'Extracting oil from the tar sands of Canada '
Just for your information we're importing a couple of MILLION barrels per day of Canadian tar sands oil and the break even for extracting it is between $50 and $60 per barrel oil price .

It was just under 1 million barrels per day in 2005, and is expected to be 3 million by 2020. I don't think we're close to 2 million yet, but it is definitely a significant amount and it will grow slowly and steadily.

http://www.energy.gov.ab.ca/OurBusiness/oilsands.asp

I dont believe in peak oil, I said I think the original idea was, That was before they knew better I think the oil companies and the Arabs are now seeing how high they can push the price before we seek alternatives to thier oil which probably would have been awhile ago if not for so many envromentialists that create so much hoopla over oil exploration. I wish the Canadian oil feilds would take off the Arabs need the competition, problem is once they did, you would see just how cheap the Arabs could produce oil and they woud bankrupt the Canadians.

Panzerman, so you are saying that there is an infinite quantity of oil, stored inside a sphere of finite size.

Interesting math.

I wish the Canadian oil feilds would take off the Arabs need the competition, problem is once they did, you would see just how cheap the Arabs could produce oil and they woud bankrupt the Canadians.

We're trying! A veteran directional driller I worked with described some of our oil fields as "swiss cheese", since we've already drilled so many wells into them.

Iam saying good chance we will run out of water before oil, and food if they keep pushing ethenol. Unless everyone drives HEMIs, then will run out of oil sometime next year.

How can you not believe in peak oil? Its already happened in many countries. Do you seriously think oil production is going to keep up with demand AND keep up with the declining production of old oil fields? What are we at now, 88 Million barrels a DAY of world oil consumption and climing. And even if they could continue to feed our economies for generations to come...what about the cost to the environment? The oil sands project is destroying Alberta for example. Carbon levels in the atmostphere are dangerously high, do you really thing we can burn 20 more years of more oil and not be affected? Not likely. Look, we even help it along by cutting down trees so they can be burned or rott releasing more carbon into the air....along with the 6.5 billion people exhaling carbon 24 hours a day.

Sure, global warming is a natural phenomenon that we cant control, but the buring of all the fossil fuels up to this point has greatly accellerated it and that is also proven.

What about our disposable society? Nothing is reused, it all goes to the dump. Why use a mop when you can use a swifer and throw it away. Population is totally based on fossil fuels. Without it there is now way the world can support 6.5 billion people. There is already water shortages and looming food shortages. I'm by no means an environmentalist tree hugger, but at this point i dont think we can do anything about the earth now.

'How can you not believe in peak oil'

'Peak oil ' ? How much are you willing to spend for oil products ? Thats what determines how much oil is produced .

Peak Oil is a media term.

Those in the Oil and Gas industry do use the term "peak", but in relation to proven, already tapped reserves, such as the older Saudi fields.

Many countries, including the USA, whose proven, already tapped reserves have peaked, have other reserves that will be tapped when it becomes econically and politically viable.

The world has lots of untapped reserves, but to utilize them, the price will have to go up. As the price goes up, the difference between petro and alternative energy will go down. Eventually, there will be an equlibrium, with both petro and alternative energy playing major roles.

Well, then ..that's a horse of a different color. Full speed ahead. Let's bring that day here sooner. I can't wait for the emerging technology and alternative fuels to get here.

Everybody acts like this oil peak thing is new or global warming is too. This was a big thing back in the late 70s early 80s and it just faded away and now it is back again. Too many gulliable humans with guilty conscience. Guilty conscience fueled by Al Gore and many others. Use the oil up, when its gone, new technologies will emerge, they have to. Man is not going to go back to walking. This just a fad, that sems just as real as it did 35 years ago and wouldnt have even emerged if it wasnt for the price of gas going crazy.

As a retired Chemical Engineer I regularly scour flea markets and garage sales for old technical/engineering books. I picked up a late 1930's ChE. handbook a while back. It flatly stated that oil reserves would be exhausted by 1950. Realizing that approx. 7/8 of the earth is covered by water and VERY little of that area has been carefully explored I submit that there is PLENTY of crude out there. Do not fall prey to the masters of deception (even tho they control most of the Worlds political scene) as they are technically ignorant. This applies to the environment also. ALL of these devices are used to frighten you and cause anxiety and fear. As for me, I will continue to twist axles and shred tires. Relax. John--Las Vegas.

Yep ..mash that pedal and assure that we find all of that yet to be discovered crude oil. Let's bind up any real advanced research that can get us beyond this over 100 year old marriage to the reciprocating engine ..and let's just live out the remainder of existence doing absolutely nothing of merit beyond exchanging labor for currency and currency for products and occupy ourselves with Xbox and cell phones and all the stuff that really matters.

You know, Germany really did humanity a disservice. If their scientists hadn't ever been pointed in a few directions, we could perhaps revert back to stone knives and bear skins instead of going to the moon.

How rude.

If only the rest of the world's problems could be solved with an assertion.

I wonder if my employer would keep paying me if I asserted things rather than knowing and doing ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If only the rest of the world's problems could be solved with an assertion.

I wonder if my employer would keep paying me if I asserted things rather than knowing and doing ?
If you were a CEO of a big bank or major corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back