Reading my ATF dipstick? (Scion xB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same engine as the Camry/tC/Rav4...

If the engine is on or off, I cannot for the life of me get a clear reading. Fluid lines the whole dipstick and can't find a mark. How do I really get a true reading?

Car has 18k miles on it and just did my ATF fluid change, 3.5qts out, 3.5qts in as specified. I am quite sure the level is fine, but I would like to confirm it for peace of mind, haha.

Any suggestions?

In that case, probably the best way would be to read it cold.

Check it in the morning, wipe it off once then dip again and slowly take it out, I'll bet you'll be able to get a clear read :)

The engine must be running, preferably at normal operating temperature.

I've had this problem before, and this was the resolution. Remove the stick, wipe it clean, then quickly insert it back in. Once it's back in, immediately remove it. If you insert the stick and remove it again in say, a 2 second period, you won't have this problem. At least this worked for me on the Saturn.

For a long time, I thought my ATF level was OK because the fluid was all over the stick. I had a leak too. Turns out, I was about 1.5 quarts low.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The engine must be running, preferably at normal operating temperature.

I've had this problem before, and this was the resolution. Remove the stick, wipe it clean, then quickly insert it back in. Once it's back in, immediately remove it. If you insert the stick and remove it again in say, a 2 second period, you won't have this problem. At least this worked for me on the Saturn.

For a long time, I thought my ATF level was OK because the fluid was all over the stick. I had a leak too. Turns out, I was about 1.5 quarts low.
shocked2.gif

I think the OP is saying that this "standard" method of checking his ATF is not working for him, that's why I mentioned that it can also be checked cold.

Unfortunately, I have tried pulling, wiping, inserting and removing fast, rechecking, wiping, etc... Countless times! Each time I cannot get a good read. Frustrating!

Maybe I just have to wipe 30 times or something, haha.

Must find a way!

Run it by your dealer, they will check it for free, and you can watch/ask what the secret is.

Many times I've had trouble reading my engine oil dipstick (especially brand new oil ), but never the red stuff on the ATF dipstick.

How's your eyesight? LOL
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Maybe I just have to wipe 30 times or something, haha.

Don't laugh. On our Sienna I have to do just that, sometimes I would guess at least 20 times before I get a reading that I consider accurate. It does tend to smear the fluid all along the stick, but after a while you will start to see a consistient reading on one side. It's a pain.

I have two Toyotas and can confirm this is an issue. Here's what worked for me.

Short version: be patient

Longer version: The first ATF change I did I ran into this issue. I refilled, checked, drained, and added fluid in a crazy sequence because of the weird dipstick readings. (I also added a second atf cooler, so was really unsure of the proper level.)

When I did a change on my second car, months later. I used the assumption that the fluid would somehow sit in the dipstick filler tube for many hours before leveling off. So I refilled a quart or two low, ran the engine, and shifted through the gears then let it sit overnight. I got a clean (low) reading and added a quart and repeated every day until as I snuck up on the proper level. Now I know the car and can easily get pretty close after one good reading. If you have many miles to drive the day after the refill, you can't be as patient as I was, of course.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Run it by your dealer, they will check it for free, and you can watch/ask what the secret is.

The last time I have the dealer change my ATF they overfill it and the extra squirts all over the place.

Here's what I do: Take the car for a drive, get the fluid hot. Let the car sit (engine off) for about 30 minutes, start it up let it run for about 10 minutes or so, put the brake on, shift it thru the gears. Then let it idle for about 5 minutes and check the level. I'll do 2 readings. Once you start pulling the stick out wiping it, removing it, and wiping it, you coat the fill tube with ATF and get all kinds of crazy readings.

I've had issues with the dealer and shops overfilling it!

Edit to add: This is for cars with the tranny dipstick marked, check while hot idling in Park.

HTH,
Frank D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: hate2work

The last time I have the dealer change my ATF they overfill it and the extra squirts all over the place.

I wasn't suggesting that he should have the dealer change or fill it, just show him how to check the level.

Or he could do my first suggestion, check it cold. Just as accurate.

Have this problem on my Camry too.
I don't check it hot anymore, I just CANNOT get a reading.
I check it cold. If they give me a cold range on the dipstick, I am trusting them that they have built in the correct engineering to ensure that a cold reading wouldn't stuff things up.

I have never had an issue with getting a clean, accurate cold reading on my camry.

Have you tried to look on the other side of the dipstick? For my Honda and Corolla, one side would be very wet and high while the other side gives the exact reading right at the full mark.

I don't understand why they couldn't put in a straight dipstick... it ain't rocket science. THer eis space in my camry between the battery and air box, where the dipstick could have been built. in stead, it makes two almost 90 corners to come out to the left of the battery. dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back