Subaru Forester recommended fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed before. I've read half a dozen threads on the topic and the more I read the more I'm not sure.

I have a 08 Forester 5mt. Just changed the tranny and rear diff fluids yesterday. Here are some pics:

http://sugar.webfors.com/gallery/gearllube

I'm a little concerned about the amount of metal shavings/goo on both diff (worse looking) and tranny magnetic drain plugs. However, I've read on nasioc and sugaruforester.org that this amount is normal, especially for a new car.

That being said, I want to reopen the discussion on the best fluid for this manual tranny. It's a different beast then most other mt's, like Hondas. Manual recommends 75w90 gl-5. I put in Motul Gear300 all around yesterday.

I've used amsoil mtf in both my previous Hondas (si and crv) and loved the stuff. So I'm considering amsoil again for my next change in the spring.

There's many members on subaruforester.org that recommend RedLine *lightweight* shockproof mixed with Gear300. One member in particular appears to have extensive experience with subie trannies and highly recommends both these products, mixed or not.

I've read threads by Bill, Joe (from PA) who were looking at amsoil but never heard a follow up on their experience.

So, hammer me with info. Keep in mind, we're talking about subaru manual trannies here. So fluid recommendations/suggestions/experiences for other trannies don't neccessarily apply.

Thanks!

If it makes you feel better, my 03 Tracker had about the same amount of metal on the drain plugs on the second change with some cheapo oil from the dealer. Nothing as big as the stuff in pic number 4 but I'm going to shorten my next change interval and go to synthetic for possible mileage gains.
Ian

Time will tell if the new fluids are better. It will be interesting to see the plugs next year when I change the current gear300 out. I expect much better performance over the oem fluids. The driving is definitely better, smoother shifts, better cold weather shifting/downshifting. Tranny 'seems' quieter, with less jerking/rough engagement. Even my wife was impressed with the improvement, and she tends to think I'm a nutball when it comes to fluids
19.gif

Here is what Amsoil recommends for your Forester and this is what I would use. I had a Forester a few year back and these transmission and differential recommendations are what I used, and I was extremely satisfied with the results.

2008 Subaru Forester Fluids

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
SAE 0W-30 Synthetic Signature Series Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Above -4°F......10w-30, 10w-40
All Temps......5W-30[1]
Manual Transmission,.....GL-5
All Temps......75W-90
Severe Gear 75W
Automatic Transmission,TZ1B5.....SLF[2]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Differential, Front .....GL-5
All Temps......75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-110
Differential, Rear .....GL-5
All Temps......75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-110

Is everyone pretty much in agreement that amsoil's severe gear 75w110 is what's best for the rear diff?

I no longer have the Forester (though I wish I did) but I use the Severe Gear 75W-110 in both the front and rear diffs of my Jeep. I would use the same in the Forester.

Hey Johnny,

have you heard much about Subaru's Extra-S 75w90 gear oil? It's getting a lot of good reviews on multiple subaru forums. Only downside is you have to buy it in 20 litre containers.

I've heard a few things about it, but I'm not sure who makes it for them. I personally would not think it's any better than other good synthetic gear oils. Kind of hard to justify buying 20 liters when all you need is 4.

You can buy the Extra-S from Turn in Concepts in 1qt bottles;
http://www.[non-sponsor website]

It works out alot more $$$, but better than buying a 20 of it...
Or you could get on NASIOC/IWSTi and post a group buy type thing seeing if people in your area want to split a 20 of it, I've seen people do this a few times.

FWIW, I've got an Outback (so basically the same box, diff etc), and I use 1qt of Motul Gear 300 topped up with Redline LW SP in the box and Motul Gear 300 in the diff, and basically is the same as you described (easier shifts, quiter etc).

I'm about to dump out the old stuff (due to an oil leak at the CV, not from the oil, just wear n tear) and use 1qt of Redline LW SP then top up with Motul Gear 300 and see how that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Schaeffer, Red Line, and RenewableLube's gear oils in the rear diff of various Subarus. No complaints with any of them. I've used Specialty Formulations and Red Line in the 5-speed of a Subaru I no longer have. I'd use Red Line's 75W90NS (since S-F is out of business) in there simply because I happen to be a person who wants to follow Subaru's specification of a GL-5 in the tranny.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: webfors
Is everyone pretty much in agreement that amsoil's severe gear 75w110 is what's best for the rear diff?

From all the great feedback I get, that is the ticket.

Amsoil SVT 75W-110

Hi Pablo,

and in the tranny? Same?

There is a big difference in Brookfield Viscosity, cP (150,000 Max) @-40°C, between svg and fgr, and only a slight difference in Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C. So I assume cold weather performance will be much better with svg, while fgr will perform a little better then svt.

Now, that is only looking at the cold weather numbers. What about friction modifiers, how does each play nice with subaru's quirky synchros? Has anyone tried fgr in a subie?

What has been the feedback from subaru 5 speed clients Pablo?

Johnny - check your PM.

Webfors - Indeed, pretty much why I was keeping it in the SV (Severe Gear) family. GREAT cold weather behavior. I leave the choice to you on the 90 vs. 110. Seems like that tranny likes the heavier stuff better, but unless you travel to the south US or Mexico frequently you should be fine with the 90.

I used to recommend FGR for that exact reason, thinking the HD EP/AW and FM characteristics of the SV family may not be the best for shifting, and while this remains true for most transmissions, it's just not the case (as it turns out) for the Subaru.

This is ALL based on feedback from Subaru 5 speed folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back