Is bigger really better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing some posts about people wanting a bigger oil filter than the standard one for their rig, I'm guessing because they think it contains more cleaning media, ergo, possibly better for longer OCIs, etc.

Is that a valid argument? Or is it just another "feel good" move?

A lot of people do it for the bigger capacity of oil they are able to squeeze into the engine withe the bigger oil filter.

What would concern me more is the oil flow/pressure properties of the OEM sized filter versus a bigger filter spec'd for another vehicle.

The PT Cruiser has a decent sized standard filter, so I don't worry about it.

However, my mother's Pilot had a teensy filter for the V6 it had. In that case, I'd get something a little larger, especially for extended OCIs.

bigger=better the manufacturer likes to shave costs and weight, even tiny amounts. the subaru oem filter is the littlest baby filter i've ever seen. fortunately the larger bosch 3323 fits really well, and from what i've seen with it opened by hacksaw, they really pack in a very highly pleated filter medium, which means the filter will last longer and i can change it every other time. the baby filter would have to be changed each time. watch out though, some companies will cheat, and for a bigger filter, they just will not pleat the medium as much, so you still get a small surface area. its important to search the internet, and if necessary, get to work with the hacksaw.

Bigger filter = more surface area = less pressure drop and time in bypass.

Bigger filter = more oil capacity = longer OCIs.

Bigger filter = more filter media = more capacity to hold contaminants.

Bigger certainly won't hurt anything but I think if you search around the site a while you will find that the smaller filters are up to the task on the engines they are specified.

just make sure the "bigger" filter shares specs as stock. such as ADBV and bypass psi

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Bigger filter = slower flow thru the media = better filtering?

That's the best reason I've heard so far for using a bigger filter. Otherwise, I see no reason especially if your filter is mounted upside down or sideways; in which it would be better to use a smaller filter to build pressure faster on a cold start.

No, but compare a Wix 51040 and 51036. Everything is the same, except the 51036 is 50% larger. The media, ADBV, bypass valve, construction are all the same, except one holds more oil, and has more media.

Which is the better filter in normal circumstances?

I will have an upcoming UOA with the Ea026 filter which is the same size as Napa 1773, this filter holds 2 qts of oil. We will see how it held up. I extended my OCI with this filter.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
the subaru oem filter is the littlest baby filter i've ever seen. fortunately the larger bosch 3323 fits really well, and from what i've seen with it opened by hacksaw, they really pack in a very highly pleated filter medium, which means the filter will last longer and i can change it every other time.

While I agree in principle that bigger is better. I totally disagree on your handling of the Subaru filter.

The longer filter is too close to the exhaust discharge header. Also changing filter every other other time is like (to me) changing a baby's diaper without wiping its butt. The OEM Subaru filter is a very excellent filter. Changing it every time just makes sense.

What is the issue with changing it every time?

Second that. Oil filters are too cheap to not change out every time you change the oil. If the Bosche is too cost-prohibitive to change out every oil change, start looking at a cheaper filter.

As for bigger filters, if there is a bigger filter in my application that has the same thread pattern and enough clearance to install, I go for that one simply because in my experience it's easier to get a longer filter off. Plus, it increases the oil capacity (in the case of my Buick by a half pint and some cars by a whole quart) for the same price (usually) as a shorter one.

If I use the really oversized filter for my Civic it can hold at least twice the amount of oil that the correct one can hold. Same holds true for my mom's Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back