Mercon-V replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilh

boys and girls,

the time is coming to change the AT fluid on my father's '02 Explorer Sport Trac (with the 5R55-E.) the ATF&filter got changed out at 100K and we're at about 140K now. I plan on changing it at 150K kms, but I'm doing my planning in advance so I know what fluid to get. The last time i changed it, i used a Valvoline High Mileage because it was the only ATF i could find that met the Mercon-V spec (although it could be argued I didn't look very hard.)

Any opinions on quality Mercon-V fluids? I know AMS is an option, but I want to know all my options.

Thanks!
-Ian

By Valvoline HM, I assume you mean Maxlife, which is a good fluid. WM has a Supertech MerconV fluid and 2 others that say they are suitable for MerconV, but they are actually the same price as the Maxlife on the same shelf. Mobil1 ATF is MV. I would not hesitate to use the parts store brands if the price is right and it says MercV on the bottle.

Off-topic: is it one of the transmissions that has no dipstick tube and you have to actually pump it up in there into a standing pipe of sorts? Those are a real pain I hear.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
By Valvoline HM, I assume you mean Maxlife, which is a good fluid. WM has a Supertech MerconV fluid and 2 others that say they are suitable for MerconV, but they are actually the same price as the Maxlife on the same shelf. Mobil1 ATF is MV. I would not hesitate to use the parts store brands if the price is right and it says MercV on the bottle.

Off-topic: is it one of the transmissions that has no dipstick tube and you have to actually pump it up in there into a standing pipe of sorts? Those are a real pain I hear.

bmwtechguy,

yes, you're right, it is the maxlife. forgive me for my ignorance.
good fluid eh? does anyone have a VOA of the stuff?

and as for the dipstick? no, my truck has one. it's the 5R55-W -i think- that doesn't have a dipstick. it's also supposed to be lubed-for-life ([censored].)

Not sure you can tell much with VOA on ATF, especially since AW is not usually metallic in an ATF. Maxlife ATF is a great all-around fluid and works for many apps as an aftermarket equivalent. I just used it recently for a drain and flush in a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant in place of the Diamond SPIII, and it now shifts very good again. Fluid was 3.73/qt before tax and state oil fee.

I have a 2002 4WD V6 Eddie Bauer with 62,000 miles and I choose Schaeffer's full synthetic ALL-TRANS Supreme Automatic Transmission Fluid for my 5R55W Mercon V fluid . Here is the datasheet, the one linked from the other web page is their discontinued Dex III ATF.

I wanted an all synthetic ATF fluid, which rules out the Motorcraft Mercon V as it is most likely a synthetic blend at best.

I wanted a viscosity in the Mercon V range (i.e. ~7.2 cSt @100C) which ruled out the Amsoil ATF which has a lower viscosity.

What was left on my short list was Redline D4, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, Valvoline synthetic Mercon V and the Schaeffer's all-tran. Of these I felt that Schaeffer's care with lubricating oils and sterling reputation outweighed the attributes of the others, including official Merc V status of the Valvoline. I also liked to see the many tests that the Schaeffer's passed on their datasheet.

Rumple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back